Builds Hammersaurus Lex - The LX470 gets tons (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Special shout out to parts suppliers and all around solid fellows @Tools R Us and @richardlillard1 for their engineering consultancy

Hmm. I have long since argued that the torsion bar in the spool valve of the 80 box is oversized and leads to heavy steering. But I am no scientist

With this thinking why didn’t you put a 60 series box in?

So I only have to carry one spare between my two rigs

They’re interchangeable. The pitman arms are different but swappable. Avoid 80-84 boxes which have different bolt patterns.

They’re interchangeable. The pitman arms are different but swappable. Avoid 80-84 boxes which have different bolt patterns.
Really? Same form factor and everything? Well you learn something new...

Really? Same form factor and everything? Well you learn something new...

Yes. I put an 80 box on my 62 so no reason they wouldn’t be backwards compatible. 100% bolt-in, fittings and everything. Only downside is 105 sector shaft won’t go into a 60 box, however no one has ever had an issue with the 60 sector shaft on any size tires that I’m aware of.

Unrelated but I’m not happy with the assist on my 62 and going to try going back to the 60 box to see if it helps. 80 has bigger piston but heavy torsion spring as you’ve noted. Several 60 owners have reported increased steering assist with 80 box swap so I may just have a bad 80 box.
/hijack over

Yes. I put an 80 box on my 62 so no reason they wouldn’t be backwards compatible. 100% bolt-in, fittings and everything. Only downside is 105 sector shaft won’t go into a 60 box, however no one has ever had an issue with the 60 sector shaft on any size tires that I’m aware of.

Unrelated but I’m not happy with the assist on my 62 and going to try going back to the 60 box to see if it helps. 80 has bigger piston but heavy torsion spring as you’ve noted. Several 60 owners have reported increased steering assist with 80 box swap so I may just have a bad 80 box.
/hijack over
hydro assist may negate the downsides of a smaller piston. Thanks for the heads up!

OK, so I've mostly been playing with bending a track bar and making sure the swept geometry of it + the drag link are fine. I have an excel calculator I created for that:
mo6ngiH.png

Anyway, satisfied with that, I started fabbing up the coilover hoops. Not much fender trimming needed, really, which is great.
T6CqqiX.jpg

KmxZ1iF.jpg

If you look closely you can see my fabricobble steering linkage. There's probably a better way to do this but it's now connected and removable for... maintenance?

Wowzers. This is neat

#LEXZILLA Looking good. I want to see the fold out ladder you will need to get up in that beast.
I dont think itll be much bigger than its brother

Nice calculator.

Looks like you have 3/4" bolt in your pitman arm?
What size are your steering heims? I used 7/8" heims and machined custom spacers to use 5/8" bolts as I was concerned with material left in pitman and steering arms (Toyota arms though)

Nice calculator.

Looks like you have 3/4" bolt in your pitman arm?
What size are your steering heims? I used 7/8" heims and machined custom spacers to use 5/8" bolts as I was concerned with material left in pitman and steering arms (Toyota arms though)
7/8 heims with 3/4 spacers. I think the steering box puts a few thousand pounds of force max on the end of the arm so i figure itll be fine. I run the es2026r / 2027l on my 80 which has a major diameter larger than .75 and its survived so...

But yeah. Good thinking

this might sound stupid, but how do you get the driveshafts to line up for the front axle? doesn't the drive shaft go to the passenger side? I'm doing a bunch of research on SAS'ing my LX since my whole front is pretty beat to s***. I want the simplicity and beef of a solid front.

this might sound stupid, but how do you get the driveshafts to line up for the front axle? doesn't the drive shaft go to the passenger side? I'm doing a bunch of research on SAS'ing my LX since my whole front is pretty beat to s***. I want the simplicity and beef of a solid front.

His differential IS on the passenger side still.

OK, a little bit of progress report - because I have to support the steering shaft with some sort of bearing, it's necessary to actually come up with a system that is concentric because otherwise the support bearing will bind. Also, something to do with cardan error that I can't accurately describe. Anyway, long story short, for anyone in the future looking to SAS a 100 series, a 2015 prius C intermediate steering shaft is the perfect size to go from the firewall splined output to the input of an 80 series box. You'll need to engineer a support bearing system (.875 OD) with a 7/8 heim or something, but otherwise it's no biggie.

Beyond that, I had a hell of a time with the coilover mounts on the frame only because I put the hoops RIGHT WHERE I would ideally run a coilover mount. I should have either had them inboard or outboard for an ideal tilt angle (aesthetically). Functionally they're totally fine but I got hung up on that for a while.

Lastly, hydro assist is above the tie rod and seemingly happy. We'll start checking clearances soon.

Oh and I started cutting fenders. Fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom