HAM Radio Noobie Question (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this will likely get poo-pood by some, but there are $65 Chinese made handheld units on the market now. These units made their way into the hands of many of our members and help convert the "die hard CB" crowd over to the ham radio scene.
They are very good units and an incredible value for the price. I have 2 of them. They have been dropped and run over and all sorts of nasty things, and they still work great. Very long battery life as well.

CORRECTION: I just looked up the Baofeng UV-5R on Amazon and the price is now $42. That's almost free.

All information is in this section of the forum.

I know quite a few guys that have these, and every one of them is very happy with their little radio. Can't beat them for the price. I would buy one myself if I didn't already have a Yaesu hand-held.

The day of the CB for trail coms is basically over. There will undoubtedly be a few Luddites clinging to the past glory of Smokey and the Bandit, but everyone else has elected to go with capable trail communication.

That is one of the funniest pieces of internet BS I have ever heard!:popcorn: We were at the Summit this year and well, 90% of the FJ's had a CB. Many run dual like I do. CB and 2M or 2M/440

The CB has its place on the trail, and usually people that are nay sayers #1 don't understand its proper operation, #2 don't have one that is installed properly and tuned properly.

Now granted, a good 2M on the trail is great if everyone "had" one. My club runs CB's in every rig and I am advocating that everyone at least get their tech license. The conversion is slowly happening but don't discount the CB as a very viable tool on the trail. The ones I install get way beyond a mile, and have very clear crips comms.

Hi, I'm interested in getting in to HAM radio operation. Can anyone advise as to where to start? Books or online resources to read? What is the basic outline to go from never having touched a HAM radio to being a licensed operator?

Thanks in advance!

The ARRL website has tons of resources at http://www.arrl.org

You'll find the ham radio world a lot of fun and it can be as as expensive as off roading all on its own! I'd suggest doing the practice exams online, and even but the Technician study guide. I kept all of mine, even my General books because its great to have paper references to go back to later. The average person should be able to test within 30 days after starting to study and do the practice tests.

Get your Tech license, get a 2M or 2M/440 rig and then get active on networks in your area. The opportunities are endless! Not just on the trail but in so many other ways. Look up ARES and RACES among some.

Enjoy, and welcome to the hobby

Nick
KI4PLC

Thanks for the additional information. I do think I will eventually go for the HF license, though it sounds like I will start off with the 2m. Does anyone else have pictures of your antenna mount for your rig? Is it a big deal to run HAM and CB in the same rig?

Not a big deal at all! Feel free to email me at: nick@excopllc.com I can send you pics of installs, and would be glad to answer any questions you have as well.

This is my setup in the rig:
8124047124_44eb988394_c.jpg

2M and CB working together in harmony. Like peanutbutter and Jelly. :cool:

This is my 2M antenna just opposite my CB antenna:
5417576122_a00cae9fdb_z.jpg

I am an avid proponent of Ham radio but also CB as well. So many think of the CB as a blaring profanity box, but properly operated, you shouldn't hear a peep from it until someone in your group is talking. All about having the right radio, selecting a quiet channel for your trail/area, proper use of squelch and a good installation.

Wow, who knew there were so many HAM knowledgeable people in the community. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will probably work my way into the hobby as entry level as I can and then go from there. I like to learn as much as I can about what I'm doing, and this was a great first step. I literally have never even seen a HAM radio in person (to my knowledge). When I was a kid, my dad had an old shortwave that he brought back from Vietnam and I used to love tuning it in and hearing foreign sounding broadcasts.

Not to go off topic, but I'd like to see more of how your iPad is mounted, Nick.

The CB has its place on the trail, and usually people that are nay sayers #1 don't understand its proper operation, #2 don't have one that is installed properly and tuned properly.

The same can be said for any piece of RF equipment. Antenna and radio installation and proper tuning will always be critical factors. However, all things being equal, 2m ham is far superior to 11m CB in both clarity and distance. You can't possibly argue those facts.

I was a strong proponent of CB for trail usage until I spent some time out in Utah. It became crystal clear to me that CB was just a toy compared to a well set up mobile ham.

While I still run both in my truck, I get annoyed by the distance limitations and general poor quality audio of CB. Not to mention the availability of 2m repeaters that seem to be everywhere.

While the majority of GCLC members still run CB (it is a requirement in our club), in the last 2 years we have picked up at least 10 new ham licenses and another handful or so are scheduled to take the exam in the next few months.

CB is still the "de facto" standard in the east, but that is changing pretty quickly. The availability of cheap HTs helps to facilitate that.

The OP asked about how to get started in HAM.

Maybe we should turn this into another CB v HAM thread, not nearly enough of those of every friggin board out there :meh:

While I still run both in my truck, I get annoyed by the distance limitations and general poor quality audio of CB. Not to mention the availability of 2m repeaters that seem to be everywhere.

That sir, is the truth! I am always amazed at the 2M repeater coverage out here. (Probably the same in Utah) but even in death valley, there are several you can hit when you think you are in the middle of nowhere! Just a few years ago, we had a lost traveler rescued because he was able to reach out to the Rangers in one of the Death Valley outposts through a local repeater.

Maybe we should turn this into another CB v HAM thread, not nearly enough of those of every friggin board out there :meh:

Yeah, my apologies for that. Just trying to make sure the lad is well educated on all aspects not just sent pn the "my way is the only way" path that is also as prevelant as the "who should have won the election" threads.

Point taken. Sorry if your skirt got ruffled. That wasn't my intent.

Not trying to play mod, I just love me some clean to the point threads. There are some good points on both sides of the HAM/CB debate above. OP has moved on to ipad mounts anyway... now my panties are really in a wad!

AimCOtaco said:
Not trying to play mod, I just love me some clean to the point threads. There are some good points on both sides of the HAM/CB debate above. OP has moved on to ipad mounts anyway... now my panties are really in a wad!

I have a wide range of interests :)

Thanks! I just ordered the BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ from Amazon with the USB cable. I also can't spell HAM, but I look forward to learning something new all the time.
Also, not a bad item if SHTF happens some day.

I know quite a few guys that have these, and every one of them is very happy with their little radio. Can't beat them for the price. I would buy one myself if I didn't already have a Yaesu hand-held.

I know this will likely get poo-pood by some, but there are $65 Chinese made handheld units on the market now. These units made their way into the hands of many of our members and help convert the "die hard CB" crowd over to the ham radio scene.
They are very good units and an incredible value for the price. I have 2 of them. They have been dropped and run over and all sorts of nasty things, and they still work great. Very long battery life as well.

CORRECTION: I just looked up the Baofeng UV-5R on Amazon and the price is now $42. That's almost free.

All information is in this section of the forum.

You could start with a cheap 2m monoband handheld unit and listen. Mount Potosi has great coverage in the Vegas area and southern Death Valley. You can no doubt hit that repeater from your lazy boy.

You could start with a cheap 2m monoband handheld unit and listen. Mount Potosi has great coverage in the Vegas area and southern Death Valley. You can no doubt hit that repeater from your lazy boy.

I made contact once on the Potosi repeater and he was up on some mountain top in DV on a handheld!

To the OP, go down to your local bookstore and pick up the Ham radio license manual (or order it online). That'll get you started. The technician test is really easy, especially if you've had a basic education in physics. There are many options for radios out there, for trail mobile use my local club has somewhat standardized on Yaesu products. This helps with standardizing settings among those who have programmable radios, and also with troubleshooting help when on the trail, more people are likely to be able to help if you have problems with your radio because theirs is likely the same or similar rig. The FT-2800 and FT-7800 are very popular rigs. The FT-8800 as well.

Good luck and have fun! Get a buddy of yours to take the test with you and pretty soon you two will be the gurus and the start of something new in your 4-wheeling group!

I bought the books and leafed through them. Didn't really help me much. Found this page: http://qrz.com/hamtest/ and took the practice test at least once a day for a month or so. That helped immensely! Passed on the first try. You can back-up when you get a question wrong and work out what the correct answer is. Was a great study aid for me.

You can often find Saturday study sessions with a test at the end taught by volunteers of a local HAM club. Just show up and you'll learn everything you need to know. It's easy and the volunteers that run them will file the paperwork for your license assuming you pass, and most folks do.

web search "HAM cram Oklahoma" or where ever you're located and that should find something. For example a quick search turned up the site below. It lists a few sessions coming up, maybe close to you (?)

http://arrlok.blogspot.com/

Once you get a first radio you'll strangely start seeing radios everywhere for sale at good prices. The trick is to jump in and get started. For the most part the hobby is very patient and likes to help newcomers get started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom