HAM Radio Noobie Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm interested in getting in to HAM radio operation. Can anyone advise as to where to start? Books or online resources to read? What is the basic outline to go from never having touched a HAM radio to being a licensed operator?

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at the ARRL web site first.

If your interest is HAM for off-road and trial use, start searching the web for info on Amateur 2 meter mobile radios. These radios are what is commonly used for local communications and trail groups, they operate at 144-148 MHz, aka VHF, aka 2m band. They generally resemble a truckers CB radio only they are a lot more clear, useful and powerful. The first licence class which covers 2m and a ton of other bandwidth is called Technician, so google it up as well, that's what you will want to pursue first.

I studied with Ham Test Online at www.hamradiolicenseexam.com, it's a subscription service but you will learn a good deal and ace the Technician test if you study there and take the test when they tell you you're ready. A 2yr subscription is like $25, seems to me that about 20 hours of study would get you there easily. Learning morse code is no longer required for a HAM license.

Overall I have found HAM's to be a pretty helpful bunch of DIY'ers. I only got my call sign last week.

Looking at what is available at the online HAM retailers will give you a lot to think about as well. It's a pretty broad hobby and you have to figure out what you want to do with it.

Good Luck,

AimCOtaco said:
Have a look at the ARRL web site first.

If your interest is HAM for off-road and trial use, start searching the web for info on Amateur 2 meter mobile radios. These radios are what is commonly used for local communications and trail groups, they operate at 144-148 MHz, aka VHF, aka 2m band. They generally resemble a truckers CB radio only they are a lot more clear, useful and powerful. The first licence class which covers 2m and a ton of other bandwidth is called Technician, so google it up as well, that's what you will want to pursue first.

I studied with Ham Test Online at www.hamradiolicenseexam.com, it's a subscription service but you will learn a good deal and ace the Technician test if you study there and take the test when they tell you you're ready. A 2yr subscription is like $25, seems to me that about 20 hours of study would get you there easily. Learning morse code is no longer required for a HAM license.

Overall I have found HAM's to be a pretty helpful bunch of DIY'ers. I only got my call sign last week.

Looking at what is available at the online HAM retailers will give you a lot to think about as well. It's a pretty broad hobby and you have to figure out what you want to do with it.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the great information, looks like you've given me some good places to start. I am interested in HAM for trail use, but also as a general hobby. Talking to people around the country or world interests me. Should I get a radio to begin with, or wait until I'm licensed before purchasing?

Also, are HAM radios capable of communicating with CBs, or are the frequencies used by CBs too low?

Should I get a radio to begin with, or wait until I'm licensed before purchasing?

Anyone can buy a radio and listen; you only need a license to transmit. Ham radio covers a broad spectrum of both frequencies and usage and you can spend as much money as you care to. 2 meters is a good starting place because it is active locally near any town of modest size. As has been said, a 2 meters radio is also the most common trail radio. But to talk around the world, you're going to want a High Frequency (HF) radio that includes the 10 through 80 meters bands at least. It's possible to get HF and 2 meters in a single radio, for example the Yaesu FT-857D or FT-897D.

Also, are HAM radios capable of communicating with CBs, or are the frequencies used by CBs too low?

In a word, no. It's not that the frequencies are too low, ham uses many frequencies lower than cb - it's just that it's illegal to mix different radio services in the same radio. With some HF ham radios you can listen to cb, but not transmit.

I started out with a Icom 706 mkII G for my first radio. Then came a Hi-Q screwdriver antenna for HF which makes for tough off roading as antennas get snagged in trees if you forget to remove or fold down.
I use handheld CB and FRS radios when on trail runs as most run cb's.
I did purchase my radio before I got my tech as the deal came up and I jumped on it.
I thought wrongly that I would only do mobile ops, a year later I was stringing wire out back of the house and buying a HF radio.
Now two years later moved up to Extra have my WAS and DXCC certificates and addicted to the hobby.
Like posted check out online tests and consider taking the General at the same time.
Enjoy!

1911 said:
In a word, no. It's not that the frequencies are too low, ham uses many frequencies lower than cb - it's just that it's illegal to mix different radio services in the same radio. With some HF ham radios you can listen to cb, but not transmit.

Ok, so it sounds like I should probably stick with CB for trail use (since none of my wheeling friends are interested in HAM) and look at a HAM radio to use at home.

Rambrush said:
Like posted check out online tests and consider taking the General at the same time. Enjoy!

Thanks, I look forward to learning more and getting into it as a hobby. Seems like a pretty good community of people too.

I really appreciate the information and advice. Thanks!

I think it's important that someone on the trail has HAM capabilities. The CB's become useless in remote areas for long distance communications, especially during an emergency. Several clubs have realized that HAM is an important factor in the safety of their runs.

The pirate board has an interesting post(s) in 2009 regarding a rollover at chicken rock in Panamint Valley. HAMS were vital in the rescue and recovery communications.

I too am making the effort to get my license.

Good luck!

Yea i was over at the racetrack death valley over labor day, met a fellow ham who was monitoring all of the call channels. I then did the same as it is a fairly remote area long way from any where. Good to know in times of need.

Last edited:
Those are great points I hadn't thought about. It is possible we could fInd ourselves in some remote locations without cell coverage. Thanks for adding that to the discussion.

Ok, so it sounds like I should probably stick with CB for trail use (since none of my wheeling friends are interested in HAM) and look at a HAM radio to use at home.

I thought that way for a long time. It all changes as soon as you start to use a 2m ham for the trails. It absolutely blows CB out of the water as far as clarity and distance. Many members of our club swore they would never go with ham, and now they advocate for the use of it.

Once you go ham, you never go back.

CB is OK if you're no more than a mile or two apart. As others stated above: You won't go back to CB after you get HAM'd; at least for trail rig communicae.

If you are the only one in your group...it will just take a little more time to convince the others. But it will happen...trust me!

All it takes is two members using 2M to convert the group.
Just let it slip the two of you are talking smack about the CB'ers ;)

The day of the CB for trail coms is basically over. There will undoubtedly be a few Luddites clinging to the past glory of Smokey and the Bandit, but everyone else has elected to go with capable trail communication.

Keep in mind that 2m/440 UHF/VHF will not do you much good if there is an emergency and no repeaters are in range. That is why I'm HF capable on the trail. It requires an extra test, but I was able to talk to my buddies back in San Diego from Death Valley clearly on 40 meters.

Don't get me wrong, ham is leaps and bounds ahead of CB. Just do a little research and program repeaters in for the area you will be at.

Not brought up yet in the discussion is that the HAM 2m band has an incredible repeater network in this country. With repeaters installed on a lot of high points, the range is increased in places to 100's of miles and still with excellent transmit/receive audio quality.

HAM can be very inexpensive to get into. Basically about $15 or so for the test (charged by the volunteers that run the test in various parts of the country and they file the paperwork etc). License is basically free and good for 10 years and you can renew online.

About 6 years ago I went for the license with my older son (9 at the time), we both passed our Technician class. A few weeks late my wife and youngest son (7 at the time) tested for their technician class and I tested for my General and we all easily passed.

A basic 2m handheld can be had for about $120 new (5W max). A basic 2m vehicle rig can be had for about $120 new (50W max). A decent vehicle mount/antenna will set you back $60 - $100. So, cost to get into the hobby for basic 2m communication is what I consider to be very inexpensive.

We've used the handhelds to vehicle rig for communication while camped/hiking and the quality and range leaves the FRS/GMRS stuff for dead, especially since you have easy access to 5W and higher transmit power AND you have access to a fantastic repeater infrastructure if needed.

The other great thing of HAM is you don't need to deal with all the inane chatter/swearing/bs of CB.

cheers,
george.

A picture of the truck on our property up in Montana working DX from the truck. 102" whip with a egg beater on a Hi-Q screwdriver. Radio is a Icom 706 MKII G.
Normally I run a 5' whip on the screwdriver which is a good all around length. Then remove whip and fold down the other 2 on the roof in tree country.
In Death Valley you will be hard pressed to hit POTOSI or Angle unless down at the south end of Death Valley. Been some that have been successful around UBHEBE Crater.
That is why HF is a good thing to have and also why I suggested the General upgrade in a previous post.
I did work HF from Furnace Creek while there and chatted with a guy in Sun City West Az on 40 mtrs.

i-3QD4ssg-L.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional information. I do think I will eventually go for the HF license, though it sounds like I will start off with the 2m. Does anyone else have pictures of your antenna mount for your rig? Is it a big deal to run HAM and CB in the same rig?

Nope not a big deal to me to have both, just may come down to space constraints and extra antenna on top.
A mag mount is a good choice for a cb part time use. Thus that is why I just use a hand held CB and also the FRS handheld radios.

ltar5.jpg

Left is the 2m/uhf antenna. Right is a screwdriver for HF. Both connect to my FT857D rig.

Look in this subforum and you'll find a bunch of writeups on various 2m, HF etc antenna installs etc.

Running multiple antenna/rigs is no big deal. Just keep a 'reasonable' separation between various antenna mounts/whips to prevent de-tuning.

Anyhow, for your initial foray into Ham, a simple/inexpensive 2m rig + antenna is a good start. Pick up a handheld as well and for about $300 total you'll have a workable starting point. You likely will have an active Ham club somewhere nearby to visit and learn from. You may even have an active 'net' on one of the 2m repeaters to also get involved with. Do some google searching regarding Ham etc in your general area to see what resources are available to help you on learning/doing the test and equipment choices and setups.

cheers,
george.

A basic 2m handheld can be had for about $120 new (5W max).

I know this will likely get poo-pood by some, but there are $65 Chinese made handheld units on the market now. These units made their way into the hands of many of our members and help convert the "die hard CB" crowd over to the ham radio scene.
They are very good units and an incredible value for the price. I have 2 of them. They have been dropped and run over and all sorts of nasty things, and they still work great. Very long battery life as well.

CORRECTION: I just looked up the Baofeng UV-5R on Amazon and the price is now $42. That's almost free.

All information is in this section of the forum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom