Codan NGT HF radio questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend I finally had the antenna bracket for the Codan antenna installed on my spare wheel carrier.
So I thought, lets test the system.
It powered up, when changing channel I could hear the antenna tuning.
But when making a selcall test call, I didn't hear anything. Silence.
On the screen came the messages like, calling and listening but it stayed silence.

As I thought I picked my headphone and plugged it in.
There was noice.
So I tried again and it worked.

My question is: can you use the Codan NGT without a speaker and if so how do you set it up as I can't find any settings for this.
My second question is: earthing. I have the earth strap from the antenna connected to a bolt on the rear wheel carrier and plan to extend this to the chassis. Is that sufficient? And do I need a braided strap or will a 8B&S wire work the same?
My last question (for now): are there any grommets in the LC100/LX470 to bring the 2 cables from the inside to the outside in the rear? The unit is attached to the cargo barrier behind the second row seats.

I will reply to myself. :)

I bought a GME external speaker and will install it.
Also after removing the rear internal panel, I found a nice opening to bring bought cables outside. Now I have to get a grommet to seal it all up.

I still need to et some braided earth straps, not sure where i can buy them.

Thanks, I found some on ebay.
Ordered 3 meters so I can bond the bonnet as well.

Thanks, I found some on ebay.
Ordered 3 meters so I can bond the bonnet as well.

On my 40-series with Kenwood and Yaesu radios, I got excellent results bonding the exhaust pipe and the swing-out bumper where my antennas are mounted, both to the frame and tub. I also have extra (heavy gauge) earth cables between my engine block, battery, alternator, starter, and frame.

From exhauat to the chassis?

From exhauat to the chassis?

Exhaust pipe to the frame, if I remember correctly, but it may have been to the tub. I will have to go take a look to be sure. Back near the tail pipe, since the engine block to the frame was already thoroughly done.

What does it do? Does it make that much difference?

What does it do? Does it make that much difference?

Helps eliminate engine and alternator noise in the radios. I did everything all at once, so I can't say how much bonding the exhaust pipe by itself did, but all my bonding and earths together completely eliminated the alternator/engine buzz in my 11 meters (American CB) radio. Have never had problems that way with my other 70 cm, 2 m, and HF radios.

Thanks, I have 3 meters of braided earth straps coming.
At the moment I only have the earth strap from the base of the aerial connected to my spare wheel carrier.
When I am in my driveway (overhead powerlines) reception isn't the best.

Got it all working perfectly.
In order to allow transmitting, I am a member of a HF radio club in Australia.
They had an AGM and I went there.
Very interesting.
After te meeting I asked if they could have a look at my radio and check if it was working properly.
It was, however the programming was a bit old.
They put in the new setup andtested it as it was sked time.

Yesterday I tried it myself and I could hear people checking in over 750 kms away and if I heard correctly one was over 2,500 kms away.
Awesome gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom