HAM NEWBIE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know, Dragos, you deserve to be on my ignore list. You are now one of 2. You don't get it. Ham radio is a privilege and you are ready to just abuse whatever you can. That's wrong. Get your license and call sign. It isn't about "old fart mentality", it's about a body of knowledge you should master. It sounds like you are insecure about remembering this body of knowledge. Too bad. Because it's easy. Get your s*** together bro.

I agree Drew.

As a licensed Ham operator I'm glad it's not plugged up with every tom dick and harry that have no license, clue, or class.

I believe that TV is stored in my Mom's barn (she's 92 years old) with all the other antiques she has collected. Will have to check next time I am there. Never heard of the Slinky antenna as I was busy dodging bullets since everybody shot at helicopters. I will read up on it though.

Check out Slinky Antenna, very interesting. I am assuming you were flying helicopters at that time ? All I can say to that is 1.) I am glad you are still here, 2.) I certainly respect you for the courage required to do that. I went into the Navy right after 1975 and on my training base in Florida I realized a lot of Helicopter pilots in Vietnam were Warrant Officers ? I was shocked as the risk and skill of Warrants should be reversed from commissioned officers. One of my shipmates had a brother who was killed as a Warrant Pilot.

It is very nice to talk with you and thank you for your service.

I believe that TV is stored in my Mom's barn (she's 92 years old) with all the other antiques she has collected. Will have to check next time I am there. Never heard of the Slinky antenna as I was busy dodging bullets since everybody shot at helicopters. I will read up on it though.

Forgot to mention about that TV. Do not get rid of it as Heathkit stuff is very nostalgic and gaining in value, even if it does not work and some components have failed.

You all need to chill the hell out and come down the snob HAM radio towers you all live in.

What's the harm in using (without a license) a 2m frequency, let's say 146.xx, while on the trail spotting someone?

Oh wait, I need to broadcast my call sign before I tell you to turn driver a little more to avoid that big rock there.
You don't do that? Well... you have a license and don't broadcast your call sign while helping others on the trail? Hmmm, shame on you. Report yourselves to the FCC then.

If the test is so damn easy, everyone can pass, then why the hell is there a test to begin with?

Why the hell do I need to know all this bull**** while offroading? What will I ever need this crap for?
Bunch of snobs and geeks.

"should we turn left or right?"
"Oh, let's see if Ohm's law can help us decide which approach is better..."

Ughhh

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 10.02.09 PM.png

Nice demonstration of ignorance Dragos80. I think I may need to go Cruiserdrew's route too! At least you'd be first at something - my ignore list. Bye bye!

How I try to expain it to people that ask about licenses:

2M range and want to use repeaters? = get a license

Some other new fancy HAM hotness = get a license

2M range and have low power radios to do point to point and stay off repeaters = still need a license but people go outlaw all the time

"Race radios" and the MURS frequencies = some say license, some say no. Basically if you are running an "event", MURS is OK. Having a trail ride could be considered an "event". Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

FRS/GMRS frequencies aka the "walkie talkies" from the sporting goods section = no license needed since they are low power. If your radio can tune these freqs, these are pretty safe for the low power "Baofeng" crowd. FRS/GMRS combined channel chart - The RadioReference Wiki

I wanted a license for repeater use, which is handy in backcountry in case of emergency. If your rig can reach the repeater.

Not surprised at all. Snobs are incapable of arguing something logical.

It is an irony that you refer to "snobs" arguing logic ? It is pretty clear there are two people arguing , you and any other. What is logic to one , is not logic to the other. It has been shown to you over and over again WHY licensing is required. You fail to accept that as logic.
You also have been presented many other communication devices , (OTHER THAN LICENSED HAM), to do your spotting with. Also your trail rides. Why you continue to badger the Amateur radio league only makes me believe you are jealous. Or maybe it is to overwhelming and all you can do is buy a radio and start speaking ? There are many other ways to communicate WITHOUT using HAM frequencies in the licensed range.
You have also been told the test is easy to pass and even 7 year olds can pass. Passing a test is based upon the test taker. If the test taker has no clue at all about the basics, then they cannot pass and run home to mummy and call everyone bad names. I do not even know why anyone would use 2M licensed vs. Family radio. Family radio is at least a mile range and I am hoping you are not spotting someone at a mile or more. Like YotaJosh said, 2M is a wonderful radio to connect to repeaters which is a huge safety backup backcountry.

So, do yourself a favor, get some Family service radios and do all the spotting and trail riding you want. AND you will not interfere with licensed Amateur radio frequencies.

You have to face it. You are a follower. You eat when they tell you to eat and s*** when they tell you to s***.
Awesome, you go by the book.

Marijuana was illegal, now it's not. Why? Oh sorry you are a follower, I should not ask you a logical question.

Duplex trail comm, 4W, dedicated freq, who the hell will get bothered by it?

I will never, for as long as I live, communicate from the basement of my house to other geeks around the world just I can show everyone I know how to make use of the ionosphere, compare antenna sizes and builds, and sent out a QSL card.
Get a life, step into the 21st Century.
It was really cool when Marconi was alive, now not so much.

I told everyone here so many times how I use the radio, where and why. No harm done to anyone. You might say I am a very responsible undocumented operator of HAM radio. And you would not be wrong at all.

Could you at least attempt to answer why I need to bother learning about electricity, Ohm's law and electrical circuits, if I plan on using 2m off road?

You know when all this stuff was cool? In 6th grade for me. Making my own electrical circuits, reading the stupid color code for resistors and stuff. Not cool anymore.

Yeah, he is #2 on my ignore list now :) #1 was added quite a few years ago and I think #1 is no longer active anyway.

^ oh, I'm sure he would use a GMRS unit (again unlicensed) and use it that way (vs the 'free' FRS version) :)

cheers,
george.

@1973Guppie You asked some questions. You got some answers. So far, only one person is preventing a unanimous reply. Take that into consideration. Think of a HAM license as being permission to join a club that otherwise doesn't want you playing with their toys. In fact, they laid out plenty of alternate toys for you to play with so you wouldn't feel badly about being excluded and could stay out of their hair. You don't have to like their rules...just respect them.

It's unbelievable how weak some of you followers can be.
When you can face it, you simply pack your toys and go home to mommy. Cry me a river.

IMHO none of the fellas who have replied to this thread are weak, or meek, or blind followers. We are just regular guys and gals who try to do the right thing. I believe the FCC regulations permit an unlicensed person to operate in the spectrum in the event of an emergency but only in an emergency.

The suggestion to use GMRS/FRS is an excellent way to avoid any conflicts still get the job done on the trail rides you engage in. I wish you luck on those rides as they can really damage your Toyota if not executed properly.

Urging others to conduct illegal activities violating federal law, regardless of our ignorance or opinion of the silliness of that law, belongs in the Chichat with all the other politico/religious crap.

I would hope this part of the forum would be dedicated to, at least, legal behavior on Communication and Navigation and those seeking sharing or help on the matter.

Stubborn for stubborn's sake is...

Just get the damned license.

:lol:

Its been said earlier. Licensing provides a sense of organization, heck 2m is very much used during times of emergencies. Without it there was be confusion. The license sets you up to have the basic knowledge of what's going on. It puts everyone on the same page when it comes to addressing an emergency if the need were to arise. In return you get the privilege of using the bands any other time.

Its been said earlier. Licensing provides a sense of organization, heck 2m is very much used during times of emergencies. Without it there was be confusion. The license sets you up to have the basic knowledge of what's going on. It puts everyone on the same page when it comes to addressing an emergency if the need were to arise. In return you get the privilege of using the bands any other time.
Very well said. Effective communication using consistent methods (i.e. knowing how to use your mouth words in the same manner as others) eliminates confusion among users. A person might find himself speaking to military or law enforcement in a time of need; those are people who have been trained to speak in a certain way specifically to avoid confusion. Like anything else, training by doing is needed to ingrain that methodology.

Let's not lose focus of the conversation here.
Trail use of HAM radio, as the OP stated.

I don't subscribe to the all that emergency situation hype, zombie apocalypse, SHTF and other crazy things many of you insist will come in the future.
Besides, the law allows the use of HAM by non licensed people in case of an emergency, it does not specify the verbiage necessary to be used in that case.

Again, trail comm people. Stay focused.

Don't lose focus of what I stated either. yeah ham radio is great for trail comms, its much better than CB in many ways. There is so much to enjoy with ham radio but also think of it as a privilege that's super easy to acquire. It also takes 2 seconds to state a call sign. The test is $15... last I checked that's much cheaper than a fine from the FCC.
Even though you personally would never subscribe to the emergency stuff, its still there and it works. Its going to work when the next major storm rolls through your area but you probably won't notice. That time you're out on the trail with no cell service, your sat phone is dead because you forgot to charge it and someone rips an arm off in some accident then its going to be that "off fart" you referred to who is sitting next to his radio responding to your emergency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom