Hail Damage: Repair and what to look out for (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davegonz

Keeping it Weird
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, my Penny took a beating yesterday during the freakish hail storm we had here in Austin. After looking her over, the damage is not only located on the hood, but also on the roof, front fenders, and part of the doors. Having never gone through this on any previous vehicle, what have you guys done in regards to repair and how to handle the insurance pukes? Any help/pointers are welcome.

I have hail damage from a storm last year that struck... I was driving through downtown atlanta, and 4 tornadoes hit at once.

i figured I would take it to state farm (my insurance provider) and they said something like this...

"Well Sir, It was not a named storm, there for we cannot issue a claim number. This is becuase of all the small storms that have hail, we would be fixing them( them being vehicles) left to right.

that being said. I never got it fixed. I took small damage on the hood, some good golf ball size dents ontop, and a few on the driver side where the wind was really moving. Under florescent lighting its really bad. But outside under direct sun/clouds its harder to see...

Hope it works out in favor for you David
Best of Luck with the hail storm coverage too :eek:

Thanks man. I have Progressive, so we'll see what they say when I take it to their office for them to check it out. I'm hoping that it won't be too much of a hassle.

Sorry to hear that the storm got you. I hope you faired better than some of the cars I saw on the news with windshields out and everything beaten in. My hundy was out when that storm came through, but luckily for me the worst of the storm went to the north.

I had some roof dents(not from hail) taken out at a local paintless dent repair shop with success about two years ago. I have no experience with the insurance end of things for hail, but a friend and coworker got $3500 from his insurance on hail damage on his Honda Civic from the storm that ran through central Austin last year. Now for him they sent out someone to look at it and just cut him a check. From other experiences I've had, some insurance places have their own place to work up estimates and work out payments directly to authorized shops when repairing. It'll probably come down to your insurance company, coverage and deductible...

Cheers,

Andrew

Seems like my side of town got hit the hardest. There were a couple of smashed in windshields in my neighborhood when I drove around this morning. I guess sports cars, with their flatter angled windshields, didn't do so well compared to the more vertical glass on the 100. Luckily my large roof rack protected the sunroof from damage.

Jatman, what color hundy do you drive? I saw a built up green one today and was wondering who it was.

D, my buddy Luis had his 4Runner hammered during last year's hail storm, and he had it repaired by someplace off of 620 (near 2222). They did a great job, only a couple of the dents were still barely visible under certain lights. I'll ask him where he got it done and send you the contact info tomorrow, maybe Progressive will be flexible with the repair location.

Thanks man.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll try this again. Maybe going to a 2ndary shop. Toyota gave me the first estimate. Hopefully I can get this fixed.

David- keep us posted. I'm sure proggressive wouldn't mind a new client ( hint hint)

Jatman, what color hundy do you drive? I saw a built up green one today and was wondering who it was.

Mine's black and it's not built up yet, only stripped down (sans fender flares, running boards and rear fin). I'm looking to do the sliders, tires and lift later this year. I have seen the green one you speak of, driving by me in the 2222 area. I think it had an arb up front with a lift. Also, I had once come across a silver one with arbs in front and back with the tire and gas can swing outs.

Those paintless dent places can work wonders pulling out damage like that. If you've got comprehensive coverage you don't need to worry about any "named storm" BS, just pay your deductible.

Mine's black and it's not built up yet, only stripped down (sans fender flares, running boards and rear fin). I'm looking to do the sliders, tires and lift later this year. I have seen the green one you speak of, driving by me in the 2222 area. I think it had an arb up front with a lift. Also, I had once come across a silver one with arbs in front and back with the tire and gas can swing outs.

Modified 100s are popping up in this area, a few months ago I saw a lifted grey one (03+) at the airport with ARB front and rear bumpers, a winch and a safari snorkel. Maybe we need a 100 get-together? Penny is the most modified in town, that I know of.

Modified 100s are popping up in this area, a few months ago I saw a lifted grey one (03+) at the airport with ARB front and rear bumpers, a winch and a safari snorkel. Maybe we need a 100 get-together? Penny is the most modified in town, that I know of.

That was the one, but I saw it over a year ago. Good to see it is still around town. I haven't come across it on MUD though. There were at least two other active austin hundy mudders besides yourself and Dave. A get-together is definitely in order. Keep me posted.

Agree with Trunk, there is some communication issue here if you have D-comprehensive coverage.

Paintless is the way to go, only if it meets criteria. Put your fingernail in the bottom of the dents, if there is no crease - it is likely they can come out.

If you get an estimate outside, they are sure to miss some - they need a very clean vehicle and proper lighting to catch everything. They also include corrosion protection as they scratch the underside of the panels. Go with an established shop, not the storm chasers. Ins co will have lists of reputable shops that guarantee the work for life - in writting

Under TX law you can take it to the shop of your choice not the ins. company's choice. I hear Progressive is no fun to deal with when it comes to claims and they consistently low ball on their offers, so you might have to fight to get what you are owed. Good luck.

make sure you find a good paintless dent repair guy they should be able to pop the dents out with no blemishes as long as they are not to deep....

Those paintless dent places can work wonders pulling out damage like that. If you've got comprehensive coverage you don't need to worry about any "named storm" BS, just pay your deductible.

thats what my insurance told me. i have comprehensive coverage. but I think 2200$ in hail damage threw the insurance claim way off of what they were originally thinking.

I won't get to meet the adjuster until Tuesday, so I took some 3M painters tape and identified all of the dents. I got tired and stopped :)
IMG_1239 (Large).jpg
Hail001 (Large).jpg
hail002 (Large).jpg

Yikes, really does not make me miss Texas.

My then 300ZX TT was out in the Cinco-de-Mayo storm of 1995. Luckily (for me) the worst hit over Fort Worth and we (north Dallas) got relatively spared.

That said, I never really heard of anyone having problem getting hail damage paid for, assuming you just have comp on your policy as well.

That's alot worse than mine. That looks like its snowed. That sucks.

I'm ccalling my insurance company today and asking about the hail damage on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom