frame damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
the wife drove over a metal lid which flipped and caused this. Toyota says its not fixable as frame should not be welded on. Thoughts? they want to salvage/ total.
any input appreciated. 05 LX
thanks

PXL_20231019_231012096.jpg

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for those mounts to get bent and subsequently fixed/reinforced. A metal fab or off-road shop should be able to handle.

These are a thing too.

You'll want to snag OE # 5150960020, which is that frame mount. Toyota sells them, this FB post was from a few weeks ago.

I'd reach out to a few collision repair shops, show them the damage and get an estimate. I would confirm they are able to do frame repair of this type, though most shops should be able to perform this to Toyota Spec (Toyota Cert. Shop that is)

You could probably have a shop stack some "dimes" in there and make it solid, but if you want that extra piece of mind wit the :princess: behind the wheel...

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.11.08 PM.png

Ask insurance what they'll give you and what buyback would be. Total it, buy it back, title stays clean, fix it however you want, spent the extra cash on mods. 😁

Last edited:
Toyota says the frame shouldn't be welded on?
really?
how did the bracket originally get attached to the frame?
fairly easy, remove old bracket, clean area, weld in replacement
I'd have a competant fab guy do the work, don't use your neighbor with a buzzbox

Toyota says the frame shouldn't be welded on?
really?
how did the bracket originally get attached to the frame?
fairly easy, remove old bracket, clean area, weld in replacement
I'd have a competant fab guy do the work, don't use your neighbor with a buzzbox

Exactly!
And , why would Toyota offer a replacement unit if it wasn't designed to be replaced.

But also know that when dealing with a dealers collision center they have to go thru certification to weld, regardless of how simple the repair is. Some dealers do not have their own facility and will sublet resulting in potential liability issues.
Our shop does a lot of mechanical work on for a highline collision center and they are in constant cert training and buying new welding equipment every couple years to meet the manufactures requirements.

You'll want to snag OE # 5150960020, which is that frame mount. Toyota sells them, this FB post was from a few weeks ago.

I'd reach out to a few collision repair shops, show them the damage and get an estimate. I would confirm they are able to do frame repair of this type, though most shops should be able to perform this to Toyota Spec (Toyota Cert. Shop that is)

You could probably have a shop stack some "dimes" in there and make it solid, but if you want that extra piece of mind wit the :princess: behind the wheel...

View attachment 3466008
This was literally the first post I thought of when I saw this

The dealer just didn't want to work on it. Heat-treated frames in big trucks can't be welded on . you can weld on your Toyota frame all day long.

If you total it, the title will be salvaged.

If you total it, the title will be salvaged.
While that's true if you don't buy it back, if you do buy it back then the title stays in your name and nothing changes (stays clean). At least that's how it has worked for me. Other places could be different. 🙂

If you don't buy it back then title goes into insurance company's name, gets a salvage title, and usually goes to auction. But now I'm off topic. Sorry.

@migs I hope you're able to get the part and find a competent shop. That would make the process easy. Lots of help on mud. 👍🏻

Thank you all, so I tried the first "reputable" Fab shop in my area and they refused. Have a few more days to look. Toyo collision got back to insurance so my options are to get a lump sum or get half and keep as salvage. Maybe a state thing.

Thank you all, so I tried the first "reputable" Fab shop in my area and they refused. Have a few more days to look. Toyo collision got back to insurance so my options are to get a lump sum or get half and keep as salvage. Maybe a state thing.

I see you're in Virginia. Call Mitch at Piper Motorsport out in Leesburg. One of the best fabricators in the country if not better.

And keep from mentioning to any potential repair facility that the insurance company wants to total it, it will scare some off.
Don't even mention the word insurance, just assume responsibility

@migs Here are some pointers, coming from the collision space. I find it funny that a shop won't touch this, yet they will graft and entire 1/4 panel into a brand new Porsche without blinking an eye...

• Visit a few Shops - Your job should be "customer pay", and provide them with a photo of the replacement part as well as part #
  • Do not mention insurance, or anything of the sorts. Remember, you are paying out of pocket, this is their dream.
  • Ensure they can get labor time through CCC, and confirm their hourly rate on frame repair. Take not that this may flag a CarFax event. Unlikely, but it does happen. Labor time only typically doesn't do this, it's usually when parts are quoted and somebody's system isn't tight...data get's out everywhere.
  • Your frame is not bent, you need a replacement bracket welded on. This is very easy. Cut off, grind down, tack weld and then fully weld. I couldn't imagine this taking more than 6 hours, maybe 10 if they want to measure the frame.
Shoot me a PM, I can reach out to a few contacts on the MSO side and see if they can get a GM to take a look at it and not be to tight.

Last edited:
While that's true if you don't buy it back, if you do buy it back then the title stays in your name and nothing changes (stays clean). At least that's how it has worked for me. Other places could be different. 🙂

If you don't buy it back then title goes into insurance company's name, gets a salvage title, and usually goes to auction. But now I'm off topic. Sorry.

@migs I hope you're able to get the part and find a competent shop. That would make the process easy. Lots of help on mud. 👍🏻

Completely depends on the state

Thanks to all for your help and advise. Lots of other stuff happened since my last post so ultimately, I let the LX go. Settlement will be a good dp on the next one....

this was "totaled" due to that 1 mount?
it was your rig and as long as you are happy in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom