H55f rebuild difficulty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I have rebuilt a split transfer case... How does a tranny rebuild (specifically an H55f 5 speed) compare? Is there much voodoo? (I define voodoo as things like the fussy preload & adjustment set-up required when doing R&P installs in a diff)

What "special" tools will I NEED? (a shop press? I have gotten by without one with the TC rebuild and when installing U joints).

I looked around and could find a FAQ or other thread of a rebuild...

Thanks,
Mark

A magnitude or two over and above rebuilding a t-case. I had H55F in which I needed to replace the input shaft and thought about doing it myself until I learned that I'd have to spend a few hundred bucks on pullers. Instead I had a transmission shop do it and they had to borrow tools to get it finished.

There is a H55F manual that has all the steps to rebuild it. I haven't dug into one yet but Im sure you could handle it.

There is a H55F manual that has all the steps to rebuild it. I haven't dug into one yet but Im sure you could handle it.

I have it... looks like a lot of puller action... But I'm more worried about reassembly I guess...

I've been TRYING:whoops: to rebuild mine. I now wish that I had only changed the gaskets and seals like I originaly planed to do. There has been many nights where I have sat in the garage and cried to myself.

If you want I have a manual in pdf format, I'll just hve to dig it out. It's somewhere in the house.

I have it... looks like a lot of puller action... But I'm more worried about reassembly I guess...

Mark, you are going to need pullers and presses and jigs.

If you can get the right combination of all three, then you are golden.

I would also not use anything but OEM parts on rebuilding one of these.

All gaskets, seals, bearings, and synchros are available in the US.

Mark, you are going to need pullers and presses and jigs.

If you can get the right combination of all three, then you are golden.

Yes... but are common auto tools going to do it for the pullers?

I have been able to get by with careful use of tube, wood blocks and a 5lb hammer instead of a press... would that not be the case here?

Jigs? For...?

Mark

Mine was quite noisy in all gears except fourth, so if figured there was a bad countershaft bearing. I pulled it apart and put all new bearings in mine, kind of a headache. It was a while ago, but I remember being stumped a couple of times trying to get things apart. I used a couple of basic pullers, and pry bars. It's been about 30,000km since, and so far so good. I wish I had replaced the 2nd gear synchro ring. good luck!

I have a h55 in my garage that I have been fighting for several weeks now trying to get the counter shaft bearing out so I can replace a shot counter shaft , I have tried every puller avaialablle and have even machined a couple of version in my garagae only to have them fail I stare at it and curse everytime I am in the garage hoping it will just fall out but no luck yet all the other bearings came out no problem just the front counter bearing is giving a hauge problem...and the thing is its a brand new bearing I replaced months earlier which slid right in with a few taps .

Hi,

I done rebuilt the H55f a couple of months back and it's alot more work than the transfer.... That's the easy part!! I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging you but you really need some pullers to do the job. The Ol hammer and vice isn't going to cut it cos some of those bearings are a bastard to remove. The greatest problem bearing I had was the mainshaft bearing. I made a few pullers and finally got it out in the end but it was some work and if you're short on patience then maybe it's a good job to outsource. In saying that you may get lucky and your bearings may just slip out.

Either way a rebuild will give the H55f a new lease of life.... just make sure that if you do go ahead and do it that you don't cut any corners cos it will cost you later down the track.... Just my 2 cents.

Check out some of the homemade sst's that I made for the job... Maybe it may help.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/451595-homemade-h55f-ssts.html

Good luck!

I'm in the same boat mark.... I've done several tranny's of various flavors, but am by no means a tranny guy. But, My h55f is out of the truck and sitting on the floor now. Teardown starts next week so I'll see what unfolds. I need to replace the syncros. I am just gonna go for it and see what happens. If I have to fab up some tools as seen in the sst threads I'll do it.

I'm in the same boat mark.... I've done several tranny's of various flavors, but am by no means a tranny guy. But, My h55f is out of the truck and sitting on the floor now. Teardown starts next week so I'll see what unfolds. I need to replace the syncros. I am just gonna go for it and see what happens. If I have to fab up some tools as seen in the sst threads I'll do it.

PLEASE report back. I will have mine out of the truck soon and am trying to decide if I should do it/get it done then...

I actually never thought about that but I do know that shipping would be a killer from Aust to Usa

Any chance on posting them to nsw for a couple of weeks ivy,at your rent rate or whatever you reckon u would want :hmm:

Hi,

I done rebuilt the H55f a couple of months back and it's alot more work than the transfer.... That's the easy part!! I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging you but you really need some pullers to do the job. The Ol hammer and vice isn't going to cut it cos some of those bearings are a bastard to remove. The greatest problem bearing I had was the mainshaft bearing. I made a few pullers and finally got it out in the end but it was some work and if you're short on patience then maybe it's a good job to outsource. In saying that you may get lucky and your bearings may just slip out.

Either way a rebuild will give the H55f a new lease of life.... just make sure that if you do go ahead and do it that you don't cut any corners cos it will cost you later down the track.... Just my 2 cents.

Check out some of the homemade sst's that I made for the job... Maybe it may help.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/451595-homemade-h55f-ssts.html

Good luck!

Nice work on the tools. :cheers:

PLEASE report back. I will have mine out of the truck soon and am trying to decide if I should do it/get it done then...

Will do. If the project goes well and I end up with any tools you are welcome to them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom