H55, Manual Transfer Case and everything needed to convert. Value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I personally hate "what's this worth threads" BUT here I am writing one.

Hypothetically speaking, what would be a good deal on everything someone would need to put a H55 in a early 60-Series?

We're talking H55 w/ manual transfer case, bell housing, both drive shafts, shifters and cross member. All used but all functioning. Trans was purchased new in 2008 ish... No more than 50-60K miles.

*Not the actual unit, it's a bit more greasy.

h55f_split-jpg.264323

Last edited:
which crossmember? the 1 piece? the 3F bellhousing would be needed also. or with mods could use there existing bellhousing and 3 piece crossmember.

$2500??

Consider this: if you want a five-speed in a 60 or 62, there are only really options.

1. Buy a new OEM one and the bits to actually make it work for ~$3000 (possibly slightly less if you have a late 85-87 FJ60, definitely more if it's an earlier 60 or a 62 because they can't borrow as many parts from the original setup).

2. NV4500, which probably also means thousands of dollars for an engine swap, even if you got a crazy good deal on the gearbox (and there seem to be a whole lot fewer of those showing up than, say, 5 years ago. Same goes for any other 5-speeds I know about, but with less availability of adapters, generally speaking.

3. Get a used H55 somewhere like Mud or Craigslist, and I'll guess that there are probably zero available anywhere near you at any given time, and zero that are for a 2F/H/HZ engine rather than a 3B on your same continent. Chances are, if you wait and an H55 does show up for sale, it'll be either totally trashed and still $2000, in Australia, or it comes with a bunch of extra stuff that you might not even need (see: the setup you describe), and the seller is asking considerably more than the ~$2700 that a brand new one costs before shipping/shifter/hardware/gaskets/etc.

If it was anything *other* than a Toyota part, for old trucks, that never appeared in any trucks when they were sold new in the US, there'd be #4, which is 'get a rusty, greasy used one from a junkyard for $800 and rebuild it in a few years if it starts to get noisy,' and Option #3 wouldn't usually be 85% of the cost of brand new components.

To actually answer your question:
- You'll sell the H55 by itself really fast if it's less than ~$2500
- If you want to sell the whole 'kit,' you're going to have to wait a lot longer, even if you go crazy low with the price because driveshafts/t-case/crossmember are a little crazy to *ship.*

Why does everyone think you have to use a 3F bellhousing and 85-87 crossmember to put an H55f into an 80-84 60? That’s just not true.

wish you would of posted this a few months ago. Just did the H55 upgrade in my brown 83

Why does everyone think you have to use a 3F bellhousing and 85-87 crossmember to put an H55f into an 80-84 60? That’s just not true.

Correct. I didn't say that in my post. my post was if he had a 1 piece crossmember it would need a 3F bellhousing to match, if it was the 3 piece crossmember the existing bellhousing will work with a notch ground into it for clearance.

If you could get all the parts to do the whole (swap) for the cost of a new trans I would think that would be a good deal (Assuming the trans is in good shape)

If you were to total the whole cost up I think you would be in the 3-4k range sourcing all new parts (where you can & used parts as needed)

Can you eleaborate on that? I'm jsut weighing my options at this point.
the 3F bellhousing rotates the transmision 5 degrees to the passenger side, the 1 piece crossmember is made to accommodate the rotation.
the 84 and earlier bellhousing has the trans sitting upright which the 3 piece crossmember works with.
you cannot use the early bellhousing with a 1 piece crossmember or vice versa.
they are a matched set.

rotating the transmision a few degrees to the passenger side gives a little more room and the shifter stalk is bent differently to work with the shift.
using a new stalk in an older setup is either closer to the driver or needs to be heated and bent for comfort.

Yup, your bellhousing, crossmember, clutch slave and fork all have to be a matched set. The year range is 80-84 (75-80 if you include FJ40 bellhousings) and 85-87. As long as all your components match you'll be fine. I ran all 1980-84 hardware in my FJ62 for example.

I personally hate "what's this worth threads" BUT here I am writing one.

Hypothetically speaking, what would be a good deal on everything someone would need to put a H55 in a early 60-Series?

We're talking H55 w/ manual transfer case, bell housing, both drive shafts, shifters and cross member. All used but all functioning. Trans was purchased new in 2008 ish... No more than 50-60K miles.

*Not the actual unit, it's a bit more greasy.

h55f_split-jpg.264323

check out my cost sheet i used to document my parts procurement process.
My H55 swap thread

check out my cost sheet i used to document my parts procurement process.
My H55 swap thread

Wow, thanks!

Great work, excellent thread and ooof! Your poor wallet! At $2500, the kit seems like a deal!

On a related/un-related note I have a friend who is swapping a new H55 into a FJ62 as we speak! I will send this along as you've shared some great solutions to some difficult challenges!

My swap ran me about $6,500. Included a clutch kit, RMS, Oil pan gasket and some cost around the driveshafts as mine is an '83. I also did not do the work myself.

Yup, your bellhousing, crossmember, clutch slave and fork all have to be a matched set. The year range is 80-84 (75-80 if you include FJ40 bellhousings) and 85-87. As long as all your components match you'll be fine. I ran all 1980-84 hardware in my FJ62 for example.
Any chance I could check this out next week?

I’ll be in Casselberry Saturday night - Thursday for Christmas.

Any chance I could check this out next week?

I’ll be in Casselberry Saturday night - Thursday for Christmas.

Sure. Although my setup is completely different now, you're welcome to come by and check it out and chat. Beer fridge is stocked. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom