H41 Transmission Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends. I have a 1987 model Bj 60. BJ 60 LV-KC. I have problems with the transmission. (H41) When the vehicle starts to walk, it is difficult to switch from 1st gear to 2nd gear. It does not change from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. This works fine if I slow down my speed. No problem in shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear. There is also no problem in shifting from 4th to 3rd gear. The problem is only 1-2 and 3-2. Help me. What is the problem ? Which part is faulty, what is the part code? I use 80/90 as an oil. Does 75/85 solve the problem?

If any manual transmission shifts ok into some gears but not others, it's the synchronizers on the troublesome gears that have worn out.
A rebuild is in order if you can find the parts - or become an expert shifter and learn how to double clutch.

If a person is talented enough and knows his transmission and engine intimately, it is possible to shift from one gear to the next without using the clutch - except from a dead stop to first of course.

You've got nothing to lose practicing and getting good at double clutching. It's most useful when down shifting.

learn how to double clutch.
My H41 exhibits these same issues as you have described. Double clutching is indeed a viable option to extend the usability until a more permanent solution is found.
I have a couple of years using this method. It works well after I retrain myself everytime I get in to drive the 40.

Yes, double clutching...clutch to go from 1st to neutral and clutch again quickly to go to second. My sychros were worn out in my 4 speed when I bought it. I did this for about 6 months while I shopped for a 5 speed trans.

Synchronizers are available from Toyota. However, transmission should be torn down and inspected first to see what else is worn.

At 435,000 miles, you've got your money's worth out of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom