Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He’s on a rear 9.5” diff. He skipped the 8.2” after blowing I think two 8” diffs

I would skip any work in the 8” diff and just go to 8.2” diff for peace of mind. At least that’s what I’m thinking for the type of overlanding I do. I also lightweight compared to the real heavyweight “overlanders”
Seems like a reasonable way to go. A new OEM 8.2 housing is $1K and new 3.73 3rd member w/OEM elocker is around $1700-2K per my shopping around....might just go that route and keep 3.73 gears for now, then regear to 4.56 in the future to spread out the costs.

I guess if I ever break the 8" I'll be looking for something more stout. It is a tiny ring gear for such a heavy truck. A definite weak spot. But, I'll just run the 8 for now. In my jeep days the cj came with a oem 8 7/8" ring gear and a 2 piece axle shaft, with another spline out at the flanges. I put one piece shafts and a Detroit in there. Lots of guys were putting 9" out back and dana 44s up front. I ran 33s and didn't push it hard or beat the thing up and it never broke. That jeep was all over Moab, several years at Easter safari, choke cherry and other technical trails, including one up in Northern California..

I guess if I ever break the 8" I'll be looking for something more stout. It is a tiny ring gear for such a heavy truck. A definite weak spot. But, I'll just run the 8 for now. In my jeep days the cj came with an oem 8 7/8" ring gear and a 2 piece axle shaft, with another spline out at the flanges. I put one piece shafts and a Detroit in there. Lots of guys were putting 9" out back and dana 44s up front. I ran 33s and didn't push it hard or beat the thing up and it never broke. That jeep was all over Moab, several years at Easter safari, choke cherry and other technical trails, including one up in Northern California..
I feel Im in this camp…not overloaded, 32.7” tires, medium difficult trails at he most, removed 2nd and 3rd row seats, carry all gear inside cargo area…and praying the 8” rear diff holds

By the way, is it possible to just upgrade the rear housing to an 8.2” diff? Or the whole axle has to be replaced?

@GXO I just realized my 2003 GX470 shares two front suspension similarities with yours!

1. No front sway bar
2. 700 lbf/in coils

And that’s it! Everything else is different…lol

I feel Im in this camp…not overloaded, 32.7” tires, medium difficult trails at he most, removed 2nd and 3rd row seats, carry all gear inside cargo area…and praying the 8” rear diff holds

By the way, is it possible to just upgrade the rear housing to an 8.2” diff? Or the whole axle has to be replaced?
3rd member also has to be replaced, which is where the extra beef really is. From my research it appears that the axle shafts, wheel bearings, brakes, etc from the 8" are a direct swap to the 8.2". I was surprised how inexpensive the new parts are from Toyota. Used 8.2's seem to be $3K unlocked and up to $4K with an elocker around here....cheaper to go new.

Have to replace the housing. But for you? Just grab front and rear out of a 460 with the CVs, etc. You get the 3.91 gearing and ATRAC and everything else works and it bolts right up (unless you have a 470 with KDSS or you want to keep a sway bar). :p

Wow…600 and 700 in the front…how did this happen? And was dat on purpose to fix the Aussie lean?
I wish it was on purpose. We won't speak of this again :p

Have to replace the housing. But for you? Just grab front and rear out of a 460 with the CVs, etc. You get the 3.91 gearing and ATRAC and everything else works and it bolts right up (unless you have a 470 with KDSS or you want to keep a sway bar). :p
Is it possible to cut off the 470 swaybar mounts and weld them into the 460 8.2? This seems like it could be a slightly cheaper option than a new Toyota 8.2 housing (and allow the old 8" to be sold as a complete unit) but I would not be willing to loose the rear swaybar to make it happen. I have a non-KDSS 470. Not sure if the configuration of the 8.2 housing overall would allow this to occur or not.

Is it possible to cut off the 470 swaybar mounts and weld them into the 460 8.2? This seems like it could be a slightly cheaper option than a new Toyota 8.2 housing (and allow the old 8" to be sold as a complete unit) but I would not be willing to loose the rear swaybar to make it happen. I have a non-KDSS 470. Not sure if the configuration of the 8.2 housing overall would allow this to occur or not.
Yeah…I want to keep the rear HD sway bar…but it attaches at two points to the axle so it doesn’t seem that difficult to weld new brackets. Someone did that recently IIRC

Also, there’s a post somewhere that lists the various options for a beefier rear diff…I need to find that post since it had good info in terms of gear ratios, mods needed, etc

Yeah…I want to keep the rear HD sway bar…but it attaches at two points to the axle so it doesn’t seem that difficult to weld new brackets. Someone did that recently IIRC

Also, there’s a post somewhere that lists the various options for a beefier rear diff…I need to find that post since it had good info in terms of gear ratios, mods needed, etc
Looks like a used 460 8.2 rear is still $1700-$2K. Not as cost effective considering a new 5th-gen T4R OEM housing and TRD OR elocker 3rd member are both around $3K plus tax.

Carrier Assembly, Differential, Rear | Part #4111035D30 | Toyota Auto Parts - https://autoparts.bommaritotoyota.net/products/product/carrier-assy-differ-4111035d30 (note this includes the locker)

Wish the local salvage yards had this stuff cheaper....

Looks like a used 460 8.2 rear is still $1700-$2K. Not as cost effective considering a new 5th-gen T4R OEM housing and TRD OR elocker 3rd member are both around $3K plus tax.

Carrier Assembly, Differential, Rear | Part #4111035D30 | Toyota Auto Parts - https://autoparts.bommaritotoyota.net/products/product/carrier-assy-differ-4111035d30 (note this includes the locker)

Wish the local salvage yards had this stuff cheaper....
I suppose most junk yards know about supply and demand for the 8.2 rear axles….

Reactions: GXO
Don't worry, I got my transfer case front output seal all fixed without incident :p

Wanna help Me with mine when you roll thru?
😘
Trucks will be hauled not driven in the fall. Going to do the easy way to give the wife some rest pre-race. Not even sure we are making it up your way as we will likely drive I-10 back. Plus, you know how to do that! Get to work!

Another update! We installed Califab rear shock conversion kits and replaced the icon top caps with stems for the eyelet version. The conversion allows you to run eyelet and move the shock out a bit so you don't hit the frame and the stem to eyelet also relieves the torque on the shock that often twists the shock or strips the top stem out of the shock top cap. Pretty elegant and nice looking solution (Wife's was first so this pic is her shock)
20230818_203344000_iOS.png

Another update! We installed Califab rear shock conversion kits and replaced the icon top caps with stems for the eyelet version. The conversion allows you to run eyelet and move the shock out a bit so you don't hit the frame and the stem to eyelet also relieves the torque on the shock that often twists the shock or strips the top stem out of the shock top cap. Pretty elegant and nice looking solution (Wife's was first so this pic is her shock)
View attachment 3405804
Does this contact and stripping of the cap occur on all or just the long travel?

Does this contact and stripping of the cap occur on all or just the long travel?
Long travel. If you don't use a limit strap it can allow the shock body to make contact with the bottom edge of the frame at full droop and torque the top stem.

Doing some clean up on HP. Got a leaky ARB line to the rear locker fixed (exhaust touched it) and about to cut out more of the rear bumper to make more room for the 37s. Also going to cut and retack the welds on the front fender supports (wife is going to weld them). ALSO decided to finally fix the rear panhard bar rubbing on the diamond with a JKS panhard from ECGS that they use and supply spacers for (it is a Jeep panhard).

Nice that you have a welder in the house!

Nice that you have a welder in the house!
I love that she is learning to weld. I plan to improve my welding as it has been a few years. We have a lot of welding to do on the BJ60 haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom