GX470 replace shocks, keep airbags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my '07 GX470 with 105k miles, I am replacing failing OEM shocks with Bilstein 5100's.

The shop that's doing it for me is telling me I have to replace the airbags with springs at the same time. Is that true? Is there some reasonable argument why it's better to convert the whole system all at once?

From all the threads I've read here, I've gotten the impression that several folks convert from active to passive shocks, and then wait for the airbags to fail before replacing them. That was my plan, since I'd prefer to keep the height control for now.

I'm grateful for any advice you can provide. I'm new to all this.

Last edited:
It's easier to do it all together if you are doing it yourself or if you want to save some money on labor. But, you can definitely do shocks and the airbag conversion separately.

Are you replacing front and rears? If just the rears then yes, just replace the shocks and start gathering parts to do the spring conversion which is really easy. The fronts obviously need to be replaced with a new coilover kit or you can disassemble the units and reuse the old springs...but probably a bad idea. You can keep the airbag function on the center console if you hook up the air lines to some helper air bags that go inside the rear replacement springs which seems to work out just fine. This option will also help level your rig depending on the weight in the back or on the hitch. Sorry for any errors, it's my friday and the tequila is flowing lol!

If just the rears then yes, just replace the shocks and start gathering parts to do the spring conversion which is really easy.
Okay, thanks for confirming.

The fronts obviously need to be replaced with a new coilover kit or you can disassemble the units and reuse the old springs...but probably a bad idea.
Oh, interesting. I am doing the front and was planning to reuse the OEM coils. Can you help me understand why this is a bad idea? (Like I said, I'm new to all this.)

You can keep the airbag function on the center console if you hook up the air lines to some helper air bags that go inside the rear replacement springs which seems to work out just fine. This option will also help level your rig depending on the weight in the back or on the hitch.
Cool, hadn't heard about this option before!

I re-used my old springs on new 5100s on the front and have had zero issues. Great ride and performance. I went up a notch in ride height by adjusting the spring perch collar as well.

Okay, that's exactly what I was planning to do (original stock springs, up one perch from bottom). Mind me asking how many miles you have on those springs?

I’m at 155k miles currently. I installed the new shocks with re-used springs last year around 120k. Still going smoothly...

Ah, really good to hear. And just out of curiosity, do you still have the rear air bags in place as well?

There’s been one or two people who posted problems with reusing the stock original front springs on 5100s. I don’t remember what the problem was that they reported. Search for 5100.

Maybe it depends on the condition of the springs. Many people on this board have reported the original front springs sagging 1” to 2” from their original height.

I suppose you can always try re-using the original front springs and if they don’t work out, you can always replace them later.

Ah, really good to hear. And just out of curiosity, do you still have the rear air bags in place as well?
Nope. Got rid of the rear airbags at the same time I did the shocks (120k). Mine had a small leak.

There’s been one or two people who posted problems with reusing the stock original front springs on 5100s. I don’t remember what the problem was that they reported. Search for 5100.

Maybe it depends on the condition of the springs. Many people on this board have reported the original front springs sagging 1” to 2” from their original height.

I suppose you can always try re-using the original front springs and if they don’t work out, you can always replace them later.
Got it, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.

I just ordered Iron Man 2 inch coils and Iron Man shocks to upgrade my front end; plan on keeping the rear air bags for now.

I just ordered Iron Man 2 inch coils and Iron Man shocks to upgrade my front end; plan on keeping the rear air bags for now.
Does this option keep the active height control system active and level the truck? I have 2006 100 and looking at options. Thank you

I ditched the ride control shocks/struts in favor of a set intended for a 2007 V8 4runner (Gabriel) and kept the bags because I carry motorcycles up to 600lbs on a hitch rack and wanted the auto leveling intact. The ride control knob becomes useless of course but the height control button still functions. I think the reason MOST owners do bags and shocks at the same time is because they're also doing a lift.

I ditched the ride control shocks/struts in favor of a set intended for a 2007 V8 4runner (Gabriel) and kept the bags because I carry motorcycles up to 600lbs on a hitch rack and wanted the auto leveling intact. The ride control knob becomes useless of course but the height control button still functions. I think the reason MOST owners do bags and shocks at the same time is because they're also doing a lift.
got it, thanks!

For any future readers of this thread, here's what I ended up learning on this (after a long pause!):
  • Bilstein does require the rear spring conversion (see picture below) for installation of the 5100s on a GX470
  • As far as I can find -- and confirmed by discussion above -- there is no technical reason for this, it's perfectly fine to install these shocks without a rear spring conversion
  • But unless you're doing this yourself, you may find it difficult to find a shop that will install them this way (I had at least one shop tell me they wouldn't)
  • And maybe more importantly, Bilstein may not honor a warranty if installed in this configuration (perhaps that's why they have the disclaimer)

Here's what I ended up doing:
  • Replaced stock with front and rear Eibach Pro-Truck Sport shocks
  • Kept the rear air springs, as mine are in fine working shape (for now)
  • Kept the stock front coils, mounted to new shocks
  • Kept stock height
  • Had a shop do this work for me that swears by the Eibachs
  • The Eibachs are ride-height adjustable with adj spring perch, just like the Bilsteins, so they could be used for a lift down the road
  • The Eibachs are made in the US and have a lifetime warranty

I've just had this done, but very happy on first impressions with the Eibach's. Very comfortable ride in town, which is where I'm doing most of my driving (similar to the Bilsteins, they are meant to perform well both on and off road).

SCR-20230815-nsxm.png

For any future readers of this thread, here's what I ended up learning on this (after a long pause!):
  • Bilstein does require the rear spring conversion (see picture below) for installation of the 5100s on a GX470
  • As far as I can find -- and confirmed by discussion above -- there is no technical reason for this, it's perfectly fine to install these shocks without a rear spring conversion
  • But unless you're doing this yourself, you may find it difficult to find a shop that will install them this way (I had at least one shop tell me they wouldn't)
  • And maybe more importantly, Bilstein may not honor a warranty if installed in this configuration (perhaps that's why they have the disclaimer)

Here's what I ended up doing:
  • Replaced stock with front and rear Eibach Pro-Truck Sport shocks
  • Kept the rear air springs, as mine are in fine working shape (for now)
  • Kept the stock front coils, mounted to new shocks
  • Kept stock height
  • Had a shop do this work for me that swears by the Eibachs
  • The Eibachs are ride-height adjustable with adj spring perch, just like the Bilsteins, so they could be used for a lift down the road
  • The Eibachs are made in the US and have a lifetime warranty

I've just had this done, but very happy on first impressions with the Eibach's. Very comfortable ride in town, which is where I'm doing most of my driving (similar to the Bilsteins, they are meant to perform well both on and off road).

View attachment 3402223
If you don't mind me asking, what was the price for all of these upgrades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom