GX460 Tow/Haul mode? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2016 GX460. Where is the Tow/Haul mode button? Can I add one? I believe I need more control over the torque converter's Lock/Unlock feature in the transmission. The "S" position may suffice as an alternative - forcing the vehicle not to upshift past gear X. Any help would be appreciated.

Back story:
I towed my 4000lb trailer for the first time with the gx460 over the weekend. I do not see a Tow/Haul button on the vehicle anywhere. Looking here: https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general:a760f.pdf (page1/47 or pg108) it suggests such a mode should exist. ..."A tow/haul control is used on the models with towing package. This controls the engine throttle, transmission shift schedule and shift timing to ensure driveability when a trailer is being towed." My experience from the weekend trip was;

1) Vehicle constantly hunted for gears while on the highway from speeds around 50-75mph. Eventually the computer found its way into 4th gear and sorta kinda stayed there but only after me fiddling around with my speed to keep it from shifting all over the place. Eventually I moved the shifter over to "S" position and forced it to 4th.

2) Transmission temps were ludicrously high (yep, I'm aware of the transmission cooler mod, it's on my list). With a 195F coolant temp, I saw 215F on a flat and level cruise, long hill pulls reaching 235F in the pan and as high as 250 in the TC.

3) The A760F 6-speed transmission is 6 speeds. But there were distinctly "more gears" than that. 4th had two different rpms about 300-500 rpm apart, same with 5th, etc. Like there was an over/under drive in there. A less appealing alternative is that when 4th/5th gear "unlocked" there was that much slippage through converter (which seems more likely considering the "ludicrous" temps reported in item2 above). Any ideas here?

4) I got about 10mpg towing. for reference, I easily achieve 19-20mpg round town 20-22mpg highway on when not towing. But when towing, the slightest headwind or grade forced me back to 4th gear which put my rpms up to about 2600-3000. My other tow vehicle for this camper has been a 5.9 Cummins which was a cake walk by comparison (dugh of course). Anyways, i expect that if i can keep the gx460's transmission locked it would behave much better, lower the transmission temps, and get another mpg or two. Hence the question up top.

thanks,

Interested in this as well. Most will probably say just keep it in 4th gear. Torque converter locks in 4th gear and up. Not sure if it’s able to lock in gears any lower than 4th.

There are no buttons for towing.
If you plan on towing and pushing the tow limits, as discussed in this forum the best mod's for your rig are:
  1. Add a trans cooler.
  2. Add a pedal commander or something that can map shifting.
From what has been posted, doing at least the trans cooler is a huge improvement, then with some sort module for shifting, you should be golden!
One last item would be an OBDII dongle and an app like Torque or OBDLink that can track your transmission temps live while driving.

No stock user selectable tow/haul mode… there is one on Tundra as per your link.

This is specific to 460

You would probably need a tune to change shift logic or a different valve body

Overheat it and it can lock up in 3rd

Only 6 gears… RPM changes are lockup changes

IMG_1051.jpeg

There are no buttons for towing.
If you plan on towing and pushing the tow limits, as discussed in this forum the best mod's for your rig are:
  1. Add a trans cooler.
  2. Add a pedal commander or something that can map shifting.
From what has been posted, doing at least the trans cooler is a huge improvement, then with some sort module for shifting, you should be golden!
One last item would be an OBDII dongle and an app like Torque or OBDLink that can track your transmission temps live while driving.
I should have mentioned, I used my OBDlink to measure my reported temps above, it was a big help for sure as you mentioned, good advice, thanks!

No stock user selectable tow/haul mode… there is one on Tundra as per your link.

This is specific to 460

You would probably need a tune to change shift logic or a different valve body

Overheat it and it can lock up in 3rd

Only 6 gears… RPM changes are lockup changes

View attachment 3341598
Ok that answers that. I was hoping that the Tundra and GX460's configurations for what appears to be the same transmission were similar enough that it would be a software change and a toggle switch and that someone had already made some ground on this by now. I mean, someone added crawl control to their GX, not trivial.

Thanks for the detail on the rpm change question.

Thanks for the "No 2 ATF Temp Sensor state" failure mode chart. Looks like i had a little bit of margin left b4 those conditions were met!

Summary:

Observations:
So the GX460 when towing, let's arbitrarily say over 3000lbs, causes the transmission to constantly lock then unlocked and hunt for gears. Causing crazy hot ATF fluid which guarantees unnecessarily bad fuel economy and lastly risks total destruction of the transmission. The latter being mitigated by slapping a tranny cooler on the front and everyone calls it a day.

My Opinion so far:
The tranny cooler deal seems like a band-aid to keep the tranny from going kablewey. Yes they were added as OEM/stock after 2020 model year with the tow package, so not entirely band-aid territory but still I think I have a point. I would NOT call the GX460 a good tow vehicle, a real shame because Toyota/Lexus could have put more thought into the transmission programming and perhaps a Tow/Haul button to give the vehicle some decent manners when towing. A tow/haul button is pretty customary on most vehicles with a decent rating like the 460's V8 and 6500lbs. All those buttons do is simply force transmission lock for longer get better economy and lower ATF temps while towing. The job only seems 1/2 done with the cooler mod.

We tow our camper all the time with our GX. It's 3,000# dry, but when loaded with gear and our family we probably have more like 4,000#+ in total cargo getting pulled by the GX. FYI, I have a 470, not a 460. One of the best mods for mine has been the Nomad valve body and lockup switch, with greatly reduces the gear hunting and allows the TCC to be manually locked in any gear. A fair number of us have done that mod to the 470, but I'm not aware of anyone doing the lockup switch to a 460 (although the link above indicates someone has tried the valve body). Both come from Wholesale Automatics in AU and are distributed by Cruiser Brothers in Stockton, CA. I also have a Hayden 678 cooler.

FYI, we towed ours through some crazy hills yesterday and still averaged 11.5 mpg, with temps at 95F out. Some were 15% grades and very twisty, requiring 2nd gear in a few instances, and the downhills are sketchy enough that you really can't coast and have to use the engine and wheel brakes. I locked the TCC in 2nd and 3rd gear when I had a consistent enough grade that I didn't have to worry about downshifting. When it was unlocked it crept up to 200F or a bit higher on the trans temp, otherwise it was 160-170F. On easier roads I've gotten 13-14 mpg towing at 60-65 mph (note our TrailManor collapses and more aero than a typical camper). The headers and catback on my 470 also help quite a bit.

Edit:
Looks like they do have a Nomad valve body for a 150 Prado 6-speed (presumably which would fit a 460), but they might not make a lockup switch:

Last edited:
The different "gears" in 4th-6th is the torque converter locking or unlocking. The selector needs to be in D to get it to lock though.

My Tundra's manual says to use 'S' (4th) when towing. I'd start there for the GX as well. I sometimes shift up if I'm on flat ground and are up to speed. It'd be great to be able to lock the torque converter in more gears and more often. It seems like Lexus programmed the trans to not lock so much, maybe to make it smoother.

I have my scangauge III programmed to show the gear the trans is in and the lock/unlock state, and trans and coolant temps.

There are these kits as well without a valve body upgrade but haven’t heard of anyone attempting an install on a 470 or 460

As stated above.. I also track lock/unlock status and leverage that info in how hard I am pushing vehicle and slow down if needed. Unlocked always heats things up.

AT coolers were actually stock in many markets outside of US since 2010 model year. You will at least have a noticeable AT temp reduction if you pin the transmission thermostat open and install a large AT cooler.

There are these kits as well without a valve body upgrade but haven’t heard of anyone attempting an install on a 470 or 460

As stated above.. I also track lock/unlock status and leverage that info in how hard I am pushing vehicle and slow down if needed. Unlocked always heats things up.

AT coolers were actually stock in many markets outside of US since 2010 model year. You will at least have a noticeable AT temp reduction if you pin the transmission thermostat open and install a large AT cooler.
Is the Prado 5 speed the same tranny as our V8 powered Lexus?
I would have imagined they would have used a different transmission for their diesels and 4 bangers.

Last edited:
The 3rd gen Tacoma has an ECT mode activated by a button, aka electronically controlled transmission, I always wondered what it was doing. I’m thinking now it has to be this. The Tacoma also has a 6 speed automatic, I wonder how similar they are?

My "guess" is that tow/haul mode is basically the same as shifting to S and then 4-5-6? You want to stay out of overdrive when towing, which is what the S selector does I think. Lexus does NOT do a good job of explaining this in the owners manual.

My GX470 never got good fuel economy, and did even worse when towing our flat faced hybrid camper. But with a bigger transmission cooler all temps stayed very comfortable. When I towed the camper with a 2021 Tundra, it got roughly the same fuel economy as with my GX470.

Our new to us 2017 Luxury will need a larger transmission cooler as when I towed our camper with it I was seeing steady trans temps of 220+ which isn't healthy imho. I would be really interested to see if the trans fluid is at the correct level though, as I know they are very sensitive to fluid levels.

We tow our camper all the time with our GX. It's 3,000# dry, but when loaded with gear and our family we probably have more like 4,000#+ in total cargo getting pulled by the GX. FYI, I have a 470, not a 460. One of the best mods for mine has been the Nomad valve body and lockup switch, with greatly reduces the gear hunting and allows the TCC to be manually locked in any gear. A fair number of us have done that mod to the 470, but I'm not aware of anyone doing the lockup switch to a 460 (although the link above indicates someone has tried the valve body). Both come from Wholesale Automatics in AU and are distributed by Cruiser Brothers in Stockton, CA. I also have a Hayden 678 cooler.

FYI, we towed ours through some crazy hills yesterday and still averaged 11.5 mpg, with temps at 95F out. Some were 15% grades and very twisty, requiring 2nd gear in a few instances, and the downhills are sketchy enough that you really can't coast and have to use the engine and wheel brakes. I locked the TCC in 2nd and 3rd gear when I had a consistent enough grade that I didn't have to worry about downshifting. When it was unlocked it crept up to 200F or a bit higher on the trans temp, otherwise it was 160-170F. On easier roads I've gotten 13-14 mpg towing at 60-65 mph (note our TrailManor collapses and more aero than a typical camper). The headers and catback on my 470 also help quite a bit.

Edit:
Looks like they do have a Nomad valve body for a 150 Prado 6-speed (presumably which would fit a 460), but they might not make a lockup switch:
Thanks, this is the kind of thing I was looking for! I'll be spending some time looking into this more.

============
Video presentation of the PDF I previously linked to

============
I don't see listed on their site anymore but this used to be the PN for the A760F Nomad valve body

screen_shot_2018_11_18_at_5_38_22_am_7decb05605cf1c0cb916e12abbb4068e562eb8eb.png

@wardharris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom