CRUISER BROTHERS' GX 460 TEST TRUCK (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that using the 40mm lift Terrain Tamer springs? Do you have before and after height measurements?

Interested in the trans cooler as well for 2010 GX. Saw the WAT Prado kits online and wondered about fitment and shipping to US. Let us know when they’re available for order. Thanks

Interested in the trans cooler as well for 2010 GX. Saw the WAT Prado kits online and wondered about fitment and shipping to US. Let us know when they’re available for order. Thanks
Thanks, we are working to cross-fit and modify the AU kits for US vehicles. The Prado 150 kits are on the way for testing.

In the wonderful world of development, we recently fit my GX with a HD Nomad Valbe Body from Wholesale Automatics. Georg @orangefj45 and the crew at Valley Hybrids installed the kit last week along with a 8.2" Harrop elocker. Didn't have a chance to use the locker driving up I5 to Washington, but the VB kit was another matter!

Faster, sharper shifts, better TC lock up and a generally more responsive experience. Under power, the transmission holds the gear longer before shifting.

Mileage on the highway "before" the kit was 16 MPG at 70 MPH or so. On the drive home, I averaged 70-75 MPH and in first two tanks, saw 17.6 MPG and 18.0 MPG.

Yep, we are happy :)

WHOLESALE AUTMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
HD Nomad Valve Body
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions -

upload_2018-8-11_7-44-52.png

UPDATE

Three months later, still love the WAT valve body. We also installed a Harrop elocker in back and it is working as it should - an old school solution vs. computer crawl control - pretty simple/reliable.

Going back to the Valley Hybrids shop next month for WAT torque converter lock-up kit install and build-out of rear storage beneath the floor where third row seats were removed. We are also test-installing a new WAT cooling kit to reduce ATF temperatures.

I love the GX platform - it is big enough to be comfortable, but small and nimble enough to park it, wheel it and not knock off the corners.

The truck will be the development mule for our LRA tank for the GX/5th Gen 4Runner tanks and then get a Kaymar rear bar as soon as I can get my wife to go along with that plan.

Now that we are importing/selling Kaymar, it just kind of makes sense, ya?

As with the LRA tanks, translating Australian components to US vehicles sometimes takes some effort - including Kaymars. Georg and the Valley Hybrids crew are very experienced and creative fabricators and are the secret sauce of our success.

If you have a GX, we (and Kaymar) can help, but it takes some fine-tuning. No known GX 470 installs of the Kaymar Prado 120 bumper, but looking for a volunteer. :)

Kaymar_Toy_Prado_4e4c752ece71a.jpg

Here is a write-up on the Kaymar on a 460

Builds - GX460 Build Thread

upload_2018-11-19_6-32-14.jpeg

"So the end product is great, but there's a few small differences between the prado and the GX that required some extra trimming. Specifically on the underside of the rear center frame rail - maybe additional reinforcements, as I'd guess the tow rating is higher on gx than the prado - there was some interference between bumper and Kaymar. Once that was cleared up, just made a super conservative cut on the Lexus Bodywork/ bumper and attached it then worked it down to correct, as the templates were not close enough to be helpful."

UPDATE

Three months later, still love the WAT valve body. We also installed a Harrop elocker in back and it is working as it should - an old school solution vs. computer crawl control - pretty simple/reliable.

Going back to the Valley Hybrids shop next month for WAT torque converter lock-up kit install and build-out of rear storage beneath the floor where third row seats were removed. We are also test-installing a new WAT cooling kit to reduce ATF temperatures.

I love the GX platform - it is big enough to be comfortable, but small and nimble enough to park it, wheel it and not knock off the corners.

The truck will be the development mule for our LRA tank for the GX/5th Gen 4Runner tanks and then get a Kaymar rear bar as soon as I can get my wife to go along with that plan.

Now that we are importing/selling Kaymar, it just kind of makes sense, ya?

As with the LRA tanks, translating Australian components to US vehicles sometimes takes some effort - including Kaymars. Georg and the Valley Hybrids crew are very experienced and creative fabricators and are the secret sauce of our success.

If you have a GX, we (and Kaymar) can help, but it takes some fine-tuning. No known GX 470 installs of the Kaymar Prado 120 bumper, but looking for a volunteer. :)

Kaymar_Toy_Prado_4e4c752ece71a.jpg

Here is a write-up on the Kaymar on a 460

Builds - GX460 Build Thread

View attachment 1835027

"So the end product is great, but there's a few small differences between the prado and the GX that required some extra trimming. Specifically on the underside of the rear center frame rail - maybe additional reinforcements, as I'd guess the tow rating is higher on gx than the prado - there was some interference between bumper and Kaymar. Once that was cleared up, just made a super conservative cut on the Lexus Bodywork/ bumper and attached it then worked it down to correct, as the templates were not close enough to be helpful."
Any chance of delving into auxiliary fuel tanks to fill the spare tire space?

Any chance of delving into auxiliary fuel tanks to fill the spare tire space?
Soon is a relative term for us.

We have helped to develop or upgrade eight tanks for North American vehicles over the last year. With those behind us we are looking forward to getting to the GX 460.

No target date, but it will happen.

interested in following the development and testing of the transmission upgrades and the extra dino juice holder! I've fallen in love with my 460, even if my wife now drives it more than me. You and the wife will be pleased.

Thought I might bump this. Any updates on development for your 460?

Truck is in Boise, ID doing daily drive duty. Schedule has prevented trip to Stockton to finish wiring on TC lock up kit and trans cooler. Harrop works as advertised, still love the valve body. Mileage definitely improved with no deterioration in shifting.

Aux tank in development in Melbourne for release later this year. Wife is NOT on board with Kaymar rear bar. I may need to buy her a separate vehicle (she already has two of her own) and sell the GX to someone else who wants a tank and rear bar :(

PS - Not likely, tho, as she REALLY loves the GX. She has a Lexus roadster (SC 430 with 40k weekend miles) and a Honda van. I get the van....

WHOLESALE AUTMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
HD Nomad Valve Body
Wholesale Automatic Transmissions -

View attachment 1764787

Outside the box question - The A750f and A760F transmissions share the same gear train internally. I've gone through the parts diagram of both transmissions side by side and they share all parts except 4 in the gear set. 3 of the non-shared parts are minor rings. One is a coast drum. This is something I think the experts at WAT might know if you wouldn't mind asking. Can the A750F use an A760F valve body and add 6th gear? The A750F only has 7 solenoids and it takes 9 in the A760F to close the right combination of clutches to make 6th gear function. The gears are physically all the same - but I don't know what it would take to make the 5 speed use the 6th gear. I don't know if the additional coast drum is necessary for 6th gear to function.

The second part of the question - if you can't use 6th gear in the A750F, the A760F still shares the same housing and all the same shafts, so it should be, physically, a very easy bolt in swap. However - I don't know if the ECU would plug in and/or if it has enough pins to run the additional 2 solenoids used for 6th gear. If it's not a plug and play type solution - does WAT have a solution to make it function? It would be the ideal setup for the 4Runner/FJ with the A750F. 4.56 gears and 6th gear would match almost exactly to OEM ratio 3.73 and 5th gear. But you'd effectively be adding another gear lower than 1st gear while still retaining very similar highway gearing. For moderate builds, 4.88 would then be a great option while keeping highway cruising RPMs low.

Thanks

Outside the box question - The A750f and A760F transmissions share the same gear train internally. I've gone through the parts diagram of both transmissions side by side and they share all parts except 4 in the gear set. 3 of the non-shared parts are minor rings. One is a coast drum. This is something I think the experts at WAT might know if you wouldn't mind asking. Can the A750F use an A760F valve body and add 6th gear? The A750F only has 7 solenoids and it takes 9 in the A760F to close the right combination of clutches to make 6th gear function. The gears are physically all the same - but I don't know what it would take to make the 5 speed use the 6th gear. I don't know if the additional coast drum is necessary for 6th gear to function.

The second part of the question - if you can't use 6th gear in the A750F, the A760F still shares the same housing and all the same shafts, so it should be, physically, a very easy bolt in swap. However - I don't know if the ECU would plug in and/or if it has enough pins to run the additional 2 solenoids used for 6th gear. If it's not a plug and play type solution - does WAT have a solution to make it function? It would be the ideal setup for the 4Runner/FJ with the A750F. 4.56 gears and 6th gear would match almost exactly to OEM ratio 3.73 and 5th gear. But you'd effectively be adding another gear lower than 1st gear while still retaining very similar highway gearing. For moderate builds, 4.88 would then be a great option while keeping highway cruising RPMs low.

Thanks
@orangefj45 (Georg Esterer) manages Cruiser Brothers and the firm's relationship with Rodney and Stuart at WAT. Suggest you hit him up with the question. We are in Australia next week and will be meeting with our mates with a list of items. the 1FZ-FE/750 kit is on the list and the 760 fits right in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom