GX Cargo Door Projects (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gas strut is a good mod for some unless you are parallel parked and boom you hit the car behind you. Or if you tow a trailer boom you hit the trailer with your barn door. Since I plan to tow a trailer the gas strut mod will not be a mod I add.

Honestly I think there are pros and cons to all of them. A tailgate makes it harder to reach inside the rear of the vehicle, though if you are fully on drawers/etc with sliders maybe that doesn't matter as much. But I have rear work lights mounted on my roof rack that the upper half of a tail gate would block. I recently put on the gas strut mod for the rear door and WOW is it a must do mod. I think having that on there makes the barn door as good as any. Just pull the latch and boom - your door is open and out of the way.

Ah great points, thanks!

Just a heads up, I am regretting using a plastic coated cable for the emergency pull. It keeps getting hung up on the hole inside. This can probably be fixed by drilling a larger hole but when I go back in there I will probably just replace the cable with a non-plastic coated cable.

Thanks for the update. I’ll keep brainstorming. I ran across this photo and a lot of folks comment on the table...but if you look closely, it appears the Prado comes with an inside handle. I wonder if we can use those parts and make it fit in ours?

AF67960E-B842-428B-A77D-BBA78B7B1F70.jpeg

Not quite a thread revival, but I’m thinking about doing a cargo door release after getting stuck back there and having to climb over the middle row (car seats already installed).

I started thinking about how I wanted to do it and was wondering if this T handle cable would work. I would drill a smaller hole for the cable to go through the plate and then put the cable lock on either side of the plate. The handle part would be similar to the OP’s except there would be a more finished look.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1667370

View attachment 1667371
Have you tried using this T handle yet?

Finally got around to doing this rear door trifecta, thanks for the guidance. I did make a HD run for the small parts, Amazon for the piano hinge, but I found the cable, table, and 550 in the garage. I did use a slider on the 550 to hold the table upright when my magnets plan failed.

Ei6lMn6.jpg

9B38F230-94B5-459D-AD7B-43A16260C10C.jpeg

Just a heads up, I am regretting using a plastic coated cable for the emergency pull. It keeps getting hung up on the hole inside. This can probably be fixed by drilling a larger hole but when I go back in there I will probably just replace the cable with a non-plastic coated cable.
I know this was a while ago but I also had problems with my release hatch. I went the eye bolt method and since my hole was a bit to the left above the release plate, it would always get hung up once everything was reassembled. Did you ever swap out to non plastic coated wire? I ended up just using paracord for now and it works fine now but I’d like to do an actual handle.

I started my cargo door mods today.

I did the cargo door pull first. BARTACT paracord handle. I looked in my bag of nuts and bolts and found that I had a set of m10 x 1.25mm cap nuts. these were from the seats of an s2000. they are blackish in color. due to this boon, I sourced some 1.25" m10 x 1.25" stainless bolts and flange nuts. I used a couple different sizes of 3/8" fender washers to capture the factory metal posts.

PXL_20201128_212846152.jpg

the backside of the post restricts the size of the washer that can be used.

I do wish I could have used lower profile nuts and will be searching for those in the future. that modification can be made without removing the plastic door card.

PXL_20201128_212743960.jpg

in the end a 1.25" stud offered a little more than a quarter inch of thread engagement with everything tightened.

PXL_20201128_213517052.jpg

PXL_20201128_213528461.jpg

I did my rear handle replacement today. Used slightly shorter bolts than those recommended in the original post. I didn't want to mess with cutting them down. Worked just fine:

9947BCA0-5105-4E21-9DA8-8073479EB575_1_105_c.jpeg

I like that a lot. Where does one get the paracord?

I like that a lot. Where does one get the paracord?
There's a link in the first post. Or just google "paracord jeep handle" — there's a ton of them.

There's a link in the first post. Or just google "paracord jeep handle" — there's a ton of them.

Awesome, thanks. I think I started on page 2. LOL

I did my rear handle replacement today. Used slightly shorter bolts than those recommended in the original post. I didn't want to mess with cutting them down. Worked just fine:

View attachment 2560765
Awesome dude. I broke my stock handle when installing my fold down table and have been meaning to do this. Do you remember the exact length of the bolts that you used?

Awesome dude. I broke my stock handle when installing my fold down table and have been meaning to do this. Do you remember the exact length of the bolts that you used?

Looking back at the order, I used 3/4" bolts. OP recommended 1" and then cutting off 2 threads of length. Seemed like a hassle to me, so I just ordered shorter bolts. Worked just fine. Here's what I ordered:

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.21.20 AM.png

And these handles

Looking back at the order, I used 3/4" bolts. OP recommended 1" and then cutting off 2 threads of length. Seemed like a hassle to me, so I just ordered shorter bolts. Worked just fine. Here's what I ordered:

View attachment 2561312

And these handles
Sweet, I’m just gonna get 3/4” long bolts then as I don’t really feel like cutting either. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to getting the new handle in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom