Guidance on rust repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first posting, I have a 78 Toyota BJ40 Canadian model if that makes any difference, 96 thousand original kilometers. My older brother bought it new, drove for 2 years and sold to an uncle who never drove it off the farm. Has sat for the last 30 years. Now I am starting a restoration. Mechanically its in excellent shape and all original down to the floor mats, even the tires are original I believe. I have most of the body parts I feel I need from Cool Cruisers and am getting into it. My question on replacing the rear sill, I'm sure its mentioned here but could someone point me to the postings. I am not planning on lifting the body off the frame, just replace the frame mounts, and see that the rear sill has 4 mount points to the frame. When replacing it is it best to mount the new one onto the frame and then weld onto the body. What are the recommended steps? Keeping the alignment, etc.
Untitled.jpg
PXL_20220711_024117062.jpg

I used real steel for the rear sill and quarter panels. Qualify was good, but needed a little adjustments to fit properly. I had a body shop do the work, so I can’t provide much on best approach.

Greatly pin stripes!

Good luck bringing that back to life!

Call Dan. See if the sills are available.

I used one in my 40, a solid work of art.

It is a pretty straightforward replacement.

Don't weld it to the frame.

Brace the rear opening with some angle or something, cut out the cancer, fit the new sill in place. Tack it in and move.

Make sure your body mount bolt holes are close enough to count, then send er' home.

There is a pad that supports the back of the tub that will likely need replacing? Mine look like wasted canvass when you look from the fender well.

I've been told that you can use a jack to tilt the tub up at the back, loosen up the mounts at the front of the main rear floor pan, and get in there. It will keep steel from rubbing on steel. The ones in front of those compression pads, they were not rusted so much as damaged from the lifting of the rear tub which had cracked the tub there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom