Guage Cluster Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m curious about you guy’s experience in swapping guage clusters. I don’t have a tach currently and would really like to have one. What ya guys got?

n my 1985 all I needed was a new oil pressure sender. The pressure switch you have now will not only work, it will damage the gauge. Otherwise it was plug and play.

the cluster swap in my 91 was also p&p.
later trucks need to make sure you get the correct speedo mech vs electric.
i also found the speedo on the cluster had an adapter type cover on the drive i had to remove too.
and of course the oil pressure sender.
some later clusters also have a pot to adjust the tach. 4cyl vs 6

this is a good thread on the swap

this is a good thread on the swap
Thank you

After reading, that seems a lot more involved than the YT vids I’ve seen.

Last edited:
It's not that big of a deal as long as you get the right one for your speedo signal. Besides the oil pressure sender mentioned before, if your current gauges don't have a tach, you'll likely need to tap into the tach wire signal and add that pin into your existing gauge harness. I showed where to get it in that thread.

Last edited:
I am trying to do the swap but scared of snapping the switch in the block. I tried using a socket and some force but I don't know how much force is too much and it doesn't budge. I know a guy that snapped his inside the block and needed a new engine.

Hit it with the penetrating oil of your choice and let it soak. Run the engine to get it hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom