Group 31 Battery recommendation (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha! Well, LiFe04 batteries are generally superior to the AGM batteries for accessories and when operating within a less extreme temperature range. They will charge faster and can survive 2-4 times more cycles. So, more cost effective in the long run. They work best inside the passenger compartment for working temp reasons. Most LFP batteries resemble a car battery but these slimline LFP batteries aren't commonplace but are popular around the world and gaining popularity in the US. If your needs were met with an 100 AH AGM battery, a 100 AH LFP battery will certainly meet your needs as they can be discharged deeper without damage.... and hence have more usable capacity.

Use a standard Lead Acid battery for starting and winching. Then use a LFP battery for fridge and accessories. Your sig says you already have a suitable DC-DC charger.

Haha! Well, LiFe04 batteries are generally superior to the AGM batteries for accessories and when operating within a less extreme temperature range. They will charge faster and can survive 2-4 times more cycles. So, more cost effective in the long run. They work best inside the passenger compartment for working temp reasons. Most LFP batteries resemble a car battery but these slimline LFP batteries aren't commonplace but are popular around the world and gaining popularity in the US. If your needs were met with an 100 AH AGM battery, a 100 AH LFP battery will certainly meet your needs as they can be discharged deeper without damage.... and hence have more usable capacity.

Use a standard Lead Acid battery for starting and winching. Then use a LFP battery for fridge and accessories. Your sig says you already have a suitable DC-DC charger.

I guess I would just move the DC-DC charger into the trunk next to this as well. I could have the inverter, slimline and my RedArc all mounted on the hdpe panel behind my middle seats and drawers. Idk if I can fit relays/fuse box there.

Well - it’s great to have options!

Yes, the DC-DC charger should be as close to the battery it is charging as possible. As for your inverter, 1000w should do fine with a 100AH battery but if you want to run 2000w inverter, you’ll likely need a larger battery.

Yes, the DC-DC charger should be as close to the battery it is charging as possible. As for your inverter, 1000w should do fine with a 100AH battery but if you want to run 2000w inverter, you’ll likely need a larger battery.

Thanks - it is a 2000w, so probably looking at one of the 200ah options. Both of the slim 200ah will fit by barely.

@hoser just want to take the time to say thank you. I think I have a pretty good plan.

Replace main (starter) battery with whatever .. tbd still.

Remove my secondary (Aux) AGM battery.

Move REDARC dc-dc charger to space between my middle seats and the drawer system where I have a DHPE panel ready to receive:

1) 200ah Slimline from DCS (new house) mounted on floor, braced against HDPE panel with u-bracket
2) REDARC 1225 DC-DC Charger hung on HDPE panel next to the battery
3) Run wire from Main to 1225 DC-DC and battery from Main location
4) Run wire from 200ah Slimline to bus bar
5) Run wire to Bus bar to relay/fuse box
6) Run wire from Bus bar to camp accessories (Camp lights, inverter, standard AC outlet locations, 'house' type things)

It is a pretty big undertaking haha! Am I missing anything?

That sounds good. I’m jealous of your planned battery! If you decide on solar later, that’ll be easy.
I have it already on my tent! 130 watt overland panel

So I got my terminals connected. Now it is putting quite a bit of pressure on the hood insulation, enough for me to be concerned about the battery arcing.

Working with Juniper Overland in Denver to troubleshoot and think about all of this .. how are you guys fitting these group31 batteries? The X2 Xtreme is reporting per specs that it is one of the shortest options out there. Should I be concerned about it arcing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom