Group 31 Battery recommendation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Sears group 31 AGM is going south on me after a decade or so. I have the Slee battery box upgrade for group 31.

Anybody have any good recommendation for an AGM grp 31 that won't kill my wallet but be good quality? Can't really complain about the Sears Platinum, been a good battery.

Last edited:
I run the Group 65 AGM, but BatteriesPlus's X2Power has been really good to me with a 4 year warranty.

i thought our alternators dont charge AGM batteries to their intended capacity. Is that not true?

I paid $218 for that rebranded Odyssey 2150 in Jan 2013. Would Love to find that deal again.

i thought our alternators dont charge AGM batteries to their intended capacity. Is that not true?

On paper, yes it is true. OP needs to check his alternator running voltage, and not just at startup. if it drops below 14v as an OE alternator will, then an AGM is just a waste of money and the battery is slowly suffocating unless it is trickle charged to keep it healthy or a voltage booster is installed.

The Costco Interstate 31 is about as good as it gets from a quality and price perspective.

On paper, yes it is true. OP needs to check his alternator running voltage, and not just at startup. if it drops below 14v as an OE alternator will, then an AGM is just a waste of money and the battery is slowly suffocating unless it is trickle charged to keep it healthy or a voltage booster is installed.

The Costco Interstate 31 is about as good as it gets from a quality and price perspective.

Voltage booster? Like in post #6? How much is the Costco 31?

I have a group 31 Odyssey in my 2015 4Runner (smart alternator) I use a combination of two things to keep the battery healthy. (1) installed a voltage/amperage device that fools the alternator into putting out more "amps" that is 4runner specific. (2) every week, overnight, plug in my NOCO battery charger that I have installed in the engine bay to "top off" and maintain the battery as it needs. I also in the past have just used method "2" above and the battery has been pretty happy. This battery is currently 5 years old. I have a fridge installed that runs 24/7. YMMV

Have been running Interstates from Costco in a half dozen vehicles and have been very happy with them.

The Cost

For you folks that buy the Costco batteries, Are they AGM? How much are they? I cannot find any grp 31 batteries on their website. I ordered the voltage gadget from Oz.

My local Costco's is carrying AGM interstates now.

Sam’s Club carries the duracell/energizer agm. Which I think are Deka AGMs.

9862D7D0-8E0A-43E2-8D13-A35507E0528B.png

For you folks that buy the Costco batteries, Are they AGM? How much are they? I cannot find any grp 31 batteries on their website. I ordered the voltage gadget from Oz.

I had to get them to order it at the counter. Mine was a standard flooded 31 but he asked me about an AGM.

I purchased membership, I'll go get it Monday and do some Battery shopping I guess. Thanx for all the info guys!

The diehard 31 agm is 269$ through advanced auto but I would bet if you can find the Duracell 31 agm is cheaper through sams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom