Grom Vline VL2 Install-defective unit-experiment over. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
Tools needed
10mm socket with small extension.
Medium philips screwdriver
Auto pry tools
Painters tape
Hole drill bit (for wire access to glove box. Note, there is room for install behind the touchscreen in the dash, but if you need to unplug/reset, it would be a huge PITA).

Items:
Grom VlineVL2
PAC USB TY1 (optional-adapts usb in front of shifter to connect to vline)
Amazon product ASIN B00F0YJ49O

Step 1. Carefully pull pack knee kick panel held in with clips. Remove two screws and one clip at back. Repeat on other side.

Step two. Pull away plastic pieces by kick panel.

20200130_191939.jpg

20200130_192002.jpg

20200130_192042.jpg

20200130_192858.jpg

20200130_192553.jpg

Last edited:
Step 3. Remove center speaker cover using panel tools. Use tape to avoid scratches. Remove wire and set aside. Remove two screws. Pull out both vents with careful pressure. Remove two screws revealed by vent removal. Pull away touch screen.

Step 4. Pull e brake, use key in hole to left of shifter to move shifter all the way back out of the way. Unscrew shifter and cover with blanket tape or glove. Pull away touchscreen and disconnect.

20200130_193552.jpg

20200130_193620.jpg

20200130_193650.jpg

20200130_194345.jpg

20200130_194802.jpg

Last edited:
Step 5. Remove screws revealed by touchscreen removal. Put tape by usb area across lower dash. Pull out cd drive and disconnect.

20200130_194919.jpg

20200130_194923.jpg

20200130_195052.jpg

20200130_195615.jpg

20200130_195805.jpg

Last edited:
Well, bad news. Got the thing installed and it is defective! The Grom disclaimer pops up (which means it is hooked up correctly), but then lines on a black screen which makes me think it is a firmware issue. Did all their online faq troubleshooting and looked at forums to find a solution. Unplugged everything, etc. No change. So it is going back and the experiment is over. Can't keep my car torn apart and have no desire to take it all apart again!

20200131_205717.jpg
20200131_223630.jpg

Last edited:
It could just need a firmware update or something else. I couldn't leave my LC torn apart all weekend waiting on a fix, and didn't want to reassemble everything if it couldn't be fixed. It may be a good solution still, but not for me..

It could just need a firmware update or something else. I couldn't leave my LC torn apart all weekend waiting on a fix, and didn't want to reassemble everything if it couldn't be fixed. It may be a good solution still, but not for me..

No, I totally agree. I've been looking at the VL2 since November and wondering if it'd be worth it. Something tells me I'll continue to wait for another adventurous member to prove it works.

No, I totally agree. I've been looking at the VL2 since November and wondering if it'd be worth it. Something tells me I'll continue to wait for another adventurous member to prove it works.
Even then I would be hesitant since the since the current failure rate sits at 100%.

Let us know what they say when you return it.

I have tried unit from another vendor and had the same issue with black line across. Firmware update from tech support guys fixed the problem. I had to abandon the project as well as after solving video problem I had sound issues. I had hopes for your project. ;)

I have tried unit from another vendor and had the same issue with black line across. Firmware update from tech support guys fixed the problem. I had to abandon the project as well as after solving video problem I had sound issues. I had hopes for your project. ;)

Yeah, from reading other forums I am guessing it was firmware, bit not working out of the box was enough to turn me off.

Yeah, from reading other forums I am guessing it was firmware, bit not working out of the box was enough to turn me off.

Thanks for updating. Was on the fence regarding the cheaper CarPlay dongle, but now leaning towards no.

Managed to finishing installing mine on Friday afternoon. I took it out on a 5 hour trail run yesterday and its working but I'm still working through some stuff, that may be user/installer error. CarPlay works well. Audio quality for music is a bit noisy when using USB, which is the only way to do CarPlay, but podcast and navigation audio are clear, I'm looking into a higher quality USB cable and what other causes may exist. Track up/down on the steering wheel isn't working for me in CarPlay, but haven't tested outside of CarPlay. I never use it so only noticed this morning. Mode and Volume up/down work fine. Our MFD isn't particularly high resolution for touch or display, so its not like using an iPhone, but Waze and Spotify worked well. I'll we spending some more time on it tonight and getting a permanent hotspot installed so it always has internet to the unit. I'm actually thinking that for my uses, once I have a mobile hotspot up and running, I'll actually use the GROM interface more than CarPlay. I'm still working on GAIA and will do a compare between the CarPlay integration and the regular Android App.

Managed to finishing installing mine on Friday afternoon. I took it out on a 5 hour trail run yesterday and its working but I'm still working through some stuff, that may be user/installer error. CarPlay works well. Audio quality for music is a bit noisy when using USB, which is the only way to do CarPlay, but podcast and navigation audio are clear, I'm looking into a higher quality USB cable and what other causes may exist. Track up/down on the steering wheel isn't working for me in CarPlay, but haven't tested outside of CarPlay. I never use it so only noticed this morning. Mode and Volume up/down work fine. Our MFD isn't particularly high resolution for touch or display, so its not like using an iPhone, but Waze and Spotify worked well. I'll we spending some more time on it tonight and getting a permanent hotspot installed so it always has internet to the unit. I'm actually thinking that for my uses, once I have a mobile hotspot up and running, I'll actually use the GROM interface more than CarPlay. I'm still working on GAIA and will do a compare between the CarPlay integration and the regular Android App.
About sound quality--Installed in 2013 LC--works great but sounded terrible. Unplugged OEM 16 pin connector from the Grom harness but left harness plugged into radio. Sounds GREAT!!! All the functions seem to work fine as well.

About sound quality--Installed in 2013 LC--works great but sounded terrible. Unplugged OEM 16 pin connector from the Grom harness but left harness plugged into radio. Sounds GREAT!!! All the functions seem to work fine as well.

I assume then that none of the factory functionality works with the harness unplugged?

I have not checked any of the rear controls, but everything up front works as before.

I was referring to the factory CD player, sat radio etc.

Last edited:
Laserman2020 I have experienced the same thing with my 17 LX. Everything works great but the system does not get very loud when compared to cd or radio. I talked to grom about this and they recommended unplugging the OEM 16 pin connector. Any idea what does not work when the 16 pin connector is removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom