GROM VLINE VL2 LC200 review requests (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is there info on locating the box in the glove compartment or is it self-explanatory? Thank you.
I pulled my glovebox out to run the cables into it from the rear, other than that it is all strait forward. Probably took less than 45 min for the whole process (glovebox part).

This is probably the best thread to follow along.

Thread 'GROM VLine Owners (Please post only if you've owned this device)'
GROM VLine Owners (Please post only if you've owned this device) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/grom-vline-owners-please-post-only-if-youve-owned-this-device.1261933/

I pulled my glovebox out to run the cables into it from the rear, other than that it is all strait forward. Probably took less than 45 min for the whole process (glovebox part).

This is probably the best thread to follow along.

Thread 'GROM VLine Owners (Please post only if you've owned this device)'
GROM VLine Owners (Please post only if you've owned this device) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/grom-vline-owners-please-post-only-if-youve-owned-this-device.1261933/
Perfect. Thank you.

I installed the Grom VLine this morning. Overall, it wasn't bad. I did all the updates after the installation and no glaring issues as of now. I have sound, no line through the screen, etc. I'll report back after a day or so of use.

I've had the Vline installed for about 2 weeks. The person who described it as a love / hate relationship was right on the money. When it works, it's great, and when it doesn't I want to rip it out.

Note: This is my wireless Carplay experience.

On a positive note, the screen looks great, the backup camera works, the sound quality is good, calling / microphone is good.

My issues, and I feel like I've had about all of them at this point, are largely connectivity-related and the miscellaneous gremlins that seem to come and go.

Connectivity-wise, I went through the initial phase of Carplay connecting sometimes and then randomly disconnecting either completely with no sound and black screen or sound with the factory nav screen. I did all the resets on the unit and phone and continued to have the same issues.

I have no idea how I solved the problem but for now, my phone and the Vlite don't show ANY connectivity via Bluetooth or WiFi or Personal Hotspot and it's at least somewhat predictable. I know it's not magic but no idea how this is happening.

At this point, the biggest issue is still with the audio connecting and staying connected. The main scenario is this. Start car, let VLite boot up, Carplay screen is visible, Pandora is showing that music is playing, but no sound. I can usually get sound by pressing play on my iPhone but this is not great.

I'm not going to throw Grom under the bus but the customer service is very slow and it is really difficult to trouble shoot these issues via email when the responses happen once per day and in some cases every two days. That is very frustrating.

if anyone has thoughts on my issues, I'd love to hear them. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've had the Vline installed for about 2 weeks. The person who described it as a love / hate relationship was right on the money. When it works, it's great, and when it doesn't I want to rip it out.

Note: This is my wireless Carplay experience.

On a positive note, the screen looks great, the backup camera works, the sound quality is good, calling / microphone is good.

My issues, and I feel like I've had about all of them at this point, are largely connectivity-related and the miscellaneous gremlins that seem to come and go.

Connectivity-wise, I went through the initial phase of Carplay connecting sometimes and then randomly disconnecting either completely with no sound and black screen or sound with the factory nav screen. I did all the resets on the unit and phone and continued to have the same issues.

I have no idea how I solved the problem but for now, my phone and the Vlite don't show ANY connectivity via Bluetooth or WiFi or Personal Hotspot and it's at least somewhat predictable. I know it's not magic but no idea how this is happening.

At this point, the biggest issue is still with the audio connecting and staying connected. The main scenario is this. Start car, let VLite boot up, Carplay screen is visible, Pandora is showing that music is playing, but no sound. I can usually get sound by pressing play on my iPhone but this is not great.

I'm not going to throw Grom under the bus but the customer service is very slow and it is really difficult to trouble shoot these issues via email when the responses happen once per day and in some cases every two days. That is very frustrating.

if anyone has thoughts on my issues, I'd love to hear them. Thank you.
I think the pandora / vline issue is more a Pandora issue than the vline. I have been using Pandora since it came out, so am a fan of how easy it is, but the app on iPhone has always had major issues that have to be worked around. One issue is if your iPhone is connected to WiFi when you start a song, if your phone switches to cellular, you will almost always have to restart a song, sometimes to the point of restarting the app to get a new song going. (Note, Pandora buffers the current song and maybe even the next song, so you won’t notice this issue until after the song that started on WiFi is finished). The second being as you described, it never just starts playing when in CarPlay mode. But I’ve seen this in other CarPlay uses outside of the Vline. I don’t usually use other music apps, but with going out and verifying, I’m pretty sure Amazon Music app will pick up and start playing once reconnected to the Vline.

I think the pandora / vline issue is more a Pandora issue than the vline. I have been using Pandora since it came out, so am a fan of how easy it is, but the app on iPhone has always had major issues that have to be worked around. One issue is if your iPhone is connected to WiFi when you start a song, if your phone switches to cellular, you will almost always have to restart a song, sometimes to the point of restarting the app to get a new song going. (Note, Pandora buffers the current song and maybe even the next song, so you won’t notice this issue until after the song that started on WiFi is finished). The second being as you described, it never just starts playing when in CarPlay mode. But I’ve seen this in other CarPlay uses outside of the Vline. I don’t usually use other music apps, but with going out and verifying, I’m pretty sure Amazon Music app will pick up and start playing once reconnected to the Vline.
I don't have the Pandora issue with other cars but in this case Vline and Pandora don't seem to be working well together!

I don't have the Pandora issue with other cars but in this case Vline and Pandora don't seem to be working well together!
Could just be my phone then. I’ve had the same phone for a while now.

Try different streaming apps to know. I agree it’s the phone some times.

Here’s a email from grom about the connectivity issue that was affecting wirelsss CarPlay.

You could also try wired CarPlay and see if that helps.

GROM:

We added a feature to swap the WiFi bands to combat wireless interference, which will swap the WiFi bands every 3 disconnects. If it keeps connecting and reconnecting over 6 times, it's most likely related to the phone and not any type of Wireless connectivity issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom