GROM VLINE VL2 LC200 review requests (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

7000ft

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been toying with buying the latest GROM VLINE VL2 module, to install in my 2020 LC200 but hesitant to spend the money only for it to be quirky.
I'd appreciate any feedback from Mudders who are running this latest model.
Thanks in advance.
Link to GROM:
Toyota Land Cruiser 2020-2021 GROM VLine VL2 Infotainment System CarPlay Android Auto - https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/toyota-land-cruser-2020-2021-vline-carplay-android-auto-infotainment-system-navigation-upgrade.html
I have had my 2014 LX 570 since Christmas and ordered the vline vl2 right away. I have not tried anything other than wireless car play and wireless Android Auto but it does both of those flawless. The instal was super simple if you have ever done a stereo it's just that simple, plug and play. The one downside is not it's fault but scrolling does not work well on my 2014 screen. It's better with Android Auto than carplay. It connects better than my 2022 f150 did that's for sure. No quirks that I have found.

I want to try some video stuff soon but have not had a chance to yet.

I have had my 2014 LX 570 since Christmas and ordered the vline vl2 right away. I have not tried anything other than wireless car play and wireless Android Auto but it does both of those flawless. The instal was super simple if you have ever done a stereo it's just that simple, plug and play. The one downside is not it's fault but scrolling does not work well on my 2014 screen. It's better with Android Auto than carplay. It connects better than my 2022 f150 did that's for sure. No quirks that I have found.

I want to try some video stuff soon but have not had a chance to yet.
Will, the system automatically select between two different available iPhones and select the current one in the vehicle? Will it go to surround camera mode at low speed and then go back to CarPlay when you speed up? Will it default to CarPlay over Toyota screen on start up? I have had Naviplus for several years now working flawlessly for me. These are the three things that I would like that would make me consider switching.

I could never get a fuzzy line in the screen to fix in my 2016 evem after multiple software updates from them (they kept saying they had new fixes but none ever worked). Ended up sending back after many hours trying to fix.

My audio quality is crackly. I can’t listen to it. Installed by PO so I’m not sure if it’s an install issue.

Posted an install and review of the vlite on the forum a month or two ago. I imagine the full vline is similar:

Will, the system automatically select between two different available iPhones and select the current one in the vehicle? Will it go to surround camera mode at low speed and then go back to CarPlay when you speed up? Will it default to CarPlay over Toyota screen on start up? I have had Naviplus for several years now working flawlessly for me. These are the three things that I would like that would make me consider switching.
It does not seem to bad to switch between Iphone and Andriod. I have not had it do anything weird at low speed, It does default to carplay on start-up.

I am probably headed this direction in my 2011 LX. I wish there was a way to change the screen as well.

if both phones in the car it doesn't prioritize to the first listed phone.
It grabs my daughters iphone 15 quicker then it connects with my 13....
but if only one is in the car it will only connect to that phone

slow speed camera still work. If you want to look at GROM display, one push of the audio button take you back to GROM while you still stopped/slow

defaults straight to GROM. they seem to have a standby mode. Pending an answer about the power draw from GROM. When car is off a long time, upon startup it will go the Toyota splash screen, the disclaimer screen and by then the GROM has booted up and it goes automatically to GROM display

Appreciate the info. I'm going to take the plunge. Thx.

this is the infor I got from VLine

Below is how the sleep cycles work on the VLine:
When the vehicle is turned off, the VLine stays on for 15 minutes. (drawing around 0.3A)
When the vehicle is off for 15 minutes, the VLine goes into a light sleep mode. (drawing around 0.03A)
When the vehicle is off for 24 hours, the VLine fully shuts down. (drawing 0A)

Mine is on the way. Excited!

I have had mine for almost 2 years in my 2016 LC. I had issues with the wireless connection intermittently, and now just plug it in most the time to prevent being annoyed. Was able to get a tech support to help fix. Recently aprox. 2 firmware revisions ago I developed ghost touch screen activations. Really annoying on certain screens. Reached out to tech support and they sent me a patch to fix, but in order to apply the patch I have to unplug all of the ancillary plugs except for the thumb drive. I installed mine behind the touch screen so it less than convenient to try. Overall I have been happy with the product, just had a few glitch’s.

I have had mine for almost 2 years in my 2016 LC. I had issues with the wireless connection intermittently, and now just plug it in most the time to prevent being annoyed. Was able to get a tech support to help fix. Recently aprox. 2 firmware revisions ago I developed ghost touch screen activations. Really annoying on certain screens. Reached out to tech support and they sent me a patch to fix, but in order to apply the patch I have to unplug all of the ancillary plugs except for the thumb drive. I installed mine behind the touch screen so it less than convenient to try. Overall I have been happy with the product, just had a few glitch’s.
This is the reason I ended up putting mine in the glove box.

I really havent had many connectivity issues. I exclusively do wireless CarPlay on a Lex6Vl2. There are at least 3-4 different models depending on year of LC or LX. When I’ve had issues with connecting I’ve almost always been able to resolve by closing apps on my phone, so I think most connectivity issues stem from the phone side.

yeah it really helps to have access to the USB port. you can even run a usb extension out to the glove compartment if you really want to hide it all. I installed mine ziptied to the passenger footwell cover so I have full access.

they added a way for the GROM to use multiple Hz for the local hotspot wifi connection which helps alot with connectivity.

Also they added a shortcut option for "close all apps" as the Android system will sometime have apps running in the background and it just takes up too much of the resources.

Also for mine I did a clean reboot of doing a factory reset of the GROM and then repairing my phone in the past to clear up some of the issues I was having

But again with the unit for my 2017 LC200 and the newer upgrades i'm pretty satisfied

MJ

I've done these types of conversions in Range Ranges in the past so I have some experience/context. Hoping for a clean enough install and all of the feedback is helpful so thank you. I will either be putting it in the glove box or somewhere accessible because I would only like to install this one time!

This is the reason I ended up putting mine in the glove box.

I really havent had many connectivity issues. I exclusively do wireless CarPlay on a Lex6Vl2. There are at least 3-4 different models depending on year of LC or LX. When I’ve had issues with connecting I’ve almost always been able to resolve by closing apps on my phone, so I think most connectivity issues stem from the phone side.
Yeah, I think when I pull it all back apart I will be putting it in the glove box.

yeah a couple patches ago really screwed it up.

but I updated them and they did fix it. they also seem to have a LC200 test car as they have a video of adding usb charging ports to the 2nd row on YT.

But what I have done is keep a copy of the last stable firmware in case the update does screw things.

But they have been messing with the touch screen sensitivity and the ability to swipe.
and there is a touch calibration setup now as well.

I will say they touch is very responsive and accurate now. They did finally figure out the swipe feature in Carplay, but that does sometimes result in a "push" of an icon so I still use the arrows.

They are working on the hard OEM climate button to switch to the OEM climate screen but they say that one is tricky and they attempted it before but it didn't work.

Also going back and forth with them I am going to attempt to make the rear display mirror feature like the EC OFFroad by tapping into the harness. We reviewed the wiring harness of OEM and EC OFFroad and think it can be done. Will update when I finally get to it.

They do plan to upgrade to android 12....wonder if that will be better or have to start all over as it is nice and stable now

is there info on locating the box in the glove compartment or is it self-explanatory? Thank you.

check their youtube channel. I don't know if they have a LC200 specific glovebox compartment, but they have many installs that will give you ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom