GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I pulled the trigger on the VLine and installed it this past weekend. Here is my first reaction and some of the quirks, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same.

The Good:
  • It was a piece of cake to install and it booted right up the first time.
  • The music experience is really nice. I've used iTunes through CarPlay, the Google Play Amazon app, Amazon Music via CarPlay, and just straight up A2DP streaming.
  • Apple Maps through car play seems like a decent fallback from google maps (see below)
The Bad:
  • On a cold start (after the vehicle has been sitting the VLine is off) it seems you have to turn on the ignition for a few seconds, and then turn it off and back on again. Because the VLine emulates the CD Changer, I'm guessing the LC is not detecting the VLine in time. This is the biggest detractor IMO. Since I have a 2004 that only has a DVD Changer, there is nothing to lose with the emulation.
  • The primary reason I forked out $425 for the unit was to get Google maps, which surprisingly just crashes. I will be contacting Grom to see what they have to say about that.
  • When using carplay it does not route calls through to the VLine, which I would have expected. Need to try and figure that out. In fact I don' think it picks up on the VLines mic at all and just wants to use the phone mic for all carplay interactions.
General Observations
  • As you might expect the screen resolution is pretty poor, but it gets the job done.
  • Most screens have scroll buttons, for the ones that don't you can scroll with your finger but its archaic compared to any modern phone.
I'm a pretty technical guy (I write software for a living) and I think I spent a few hours getting this thing setup and and fully updated with all the latest software/firmware. I am not an android user so maybe that was part of it, but I wouldn't expect my mom to have a fighting chance at figuring it out.

I'm debating sending it back if I can't get google maps to work. Since you need to tether it to your phone or a mobile hotspot device I'm thinking that investing $400 in a phone or tablet would be just as beneficial.

I have had the Grom BT3 in my Corolla for a few years and it has served my very well. I'll just fall back to that if this doesn't work out.

So I pulled the trigger on the VLine and installed it this past weekend. Here is my first reaction and some of the quirks, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced the same.

The Good:
  • It was a piece of cake to install and it booted right up the first time.
  • The music experience is really nice. I've used iTunes through CarPlay, the Google Play Amazon app, Amazon Music via CarPlay, and just straight up A2DP streaming.
  • Apple Maps through car play seems like a decent fallback from google maps (see below)
The Bad:
  • On a cold start (after the vehicle has been sitting the VLine is off) it seems you have to turn on the ignition for a few seconds, and then turn it off and back on again. Because the VLine emulates the CD Changer, I'm guessing the LC is not detecting the VLine in time. This is the biggest detractor IMO. Since I have a 2004 that only has a DVD Changer, there is nothing to lose with the emulation.
  • The primary reason I forked out $425 for the unit was to get Google maps, which surprisingly just crashes. I will be contacting Grom to see what they have to say about that.
  • When using carplay it does not route calls through to the VLine, which I would have expected. Need to try and figure that out. In fact I don' think it picks up on the VLines mic at all and just wants to use the phone mic for all carplay interactions.
General Observations
  • As you might expect the screen resolution is pretty poor, but it gets the job done.
  • Most screens have scroll buttons, for the ones that don't you can scroll with your finger but its archaic compared to any modern phone.
I'm a pretty technical guy (I write software for a living) and I think I spent a few hours getting this thing setup and and fully updated with all the latest software/firmware. I am not an android user so maybe that was part of it, but I wouldn't expect my mom to have a fighting chance at figuring it out.

I'm debating sending it back if I can't get google maps to work. Since you need to tether it to your phone or a mobile hotspot device I'm thinking that investing $400 in a phone or tablet would be just as beneficial.

I have had the Grom BT3 in my Corolla for a few years and it has served my very well. I'll just fall back to that if this doesn't work out.

Yeah, this futzing around and special quirks are what makes me think it's just not worth the money to get a Vline. I mean for a mere $200 I can get a good android tablet with much better screen and flawless google maps + avenza maps + gaia GPS, and store my entire music collection.

The VAIS offers the ability to control some functionality from the steering controls/display panel (see video). I think I saw the USA Spec one could as well...? Can the Grom audio bluetooth unit do this as well? I couldn't tell from looking at their website...

Edit: To answer your question, it does appear though that both the VAIS and the USA spec replace the cd changer like the grom audio bt unit.

The VAIS SL3B unit emulates a CD changer (or MD changer), but on an 06 LX it doesn't "replace" the DVD/CD changer in the center console. In my vehicle 1st press of the "DISC" button is the factory changer, 2nd press is the VAIS SL3B, 3rd press is the GROM VLine (4th press is back to the factory changer again).

Got an email on the latest firmware and system update yesterday which includes wireless AirPlay. Ive got an iPhone 6 and tried the AirPlay app but only got a black screen. Activated the AirPlay app, turned on my wifi, selected screen mirroring on my phone, but no luck. Anyone successfully operate AirPlay yet? Not sure if its a iPhone 6 compatibility issue or Vline integration bug, or operator error.

Yeah, this futzing around and special quirks are what makes me think it's just not worth the money to get a Vline. I mean for a mere $200 I can get a good android tablet with much better screen and flawless google maps + avenza maps + gaia GPS, and store my entire music collection.

TL;DR - If I had to do it all over again I would use an auxiliary input or bluetooth input with just my phone or if I really needed a screen for navigation buy a RAM mount and cheap tablet.

So I've had the VLine since it went commercial (I got in touch with them but was too far away to participate in the beta testing) and its been a frustrating ride... Up until the last 2 months I would say it was still in beta testing and not ready to be sold to the public - which I would have been fine with if I was given a discount and had a direct link to some of the software guys to get things fixed. But instead I shelled out $325 for the preorder and have had to put up with things like being unable to use my backup camera for over 8 months, bluetooth issues, mainstream apps like Google Maps crashing every time they were used, etc. etc. while they figured things out and continued to sell a prototype product to the public. The microphone doesn't even work for phone calls... In day to day use, it functions as a very expensive (slow) bluetooth connection for my phone.

Even if the new, faster, V2 VLine did all of what it "should" do you are hampered by the horrible OEM screen resolution and resistive touch screen which makes navigation such a hassle that I bought a cheap bluetooth keyboard for any data entry (user names/passwords, addresses, etc.) and I just use my phones interface and ADP2 streaming for all other functions except the Waze app on long trips (Google Maps doesn't seem stable and like everything else is frustrating to navigate). I would even be so bold as to say that anything the VLine can do a $150 tablet can do better, faster, at a higher resolution without the interface/touchscreen issues.

The one nice thing I can say about it is that everything maintains the OEM look and they are the only company to offer that.

I really really wanted to like this VLine, I researched the crap out of it and other options, I was an early adopter knowing it wouldn't be perfect, I spent a lot of money (for me) and had the associated sunk cost bias in full force, I have given it more than a year and a half of evaluation - I can't imagine a reason why I would buy it again.

Got an email on the latest firmware and system update yesterday which includes wireless AirPlay. Ive got an iPhone 6 and tried the AirPlay app but only got a black screen. Activated the AirPlay app, turned on my wifi, selected screen mirroring on my phone, but no luck. Anyone successfully operate AirPlay yet? Not sure if its a iPhone 6 compatibility issue or Vline integration bug, or operator error.

I start the AirPlay app and see "Apple Airplay is started. You can connect from your iPhone" on the Nav screen.

I connect either of my iPhones (6 & 8), and send their screen to the VLine, I get audio from the phone w/ a black screen saying "Your session is active"

If I connect my MacBook, and send its screen to the VLine, again the audio works, but the video has a heavy green tint, and has very bad pixelation issues.

Probably not operator error.

I start the AirPlay app and see "Apple Airplay is started. You can connect from your iPhone" on the Nav screen.

I connect either of my iPhones (6 & 8), and send their screen to the VLine, I get audio from the phone w/ a black screen saying "Your session is active"

If I connect my MacBook, and send its screen to the VLine, again the audio works, but the video has a heavy green tint, and has very bad pixelation issues.

Probably not operator error.
Describes my situation exactly.

I also contacted them to see if there would be an upgrade for our vehicles to the VL2 device (more memory, more processor, more better!) but alas they said there was no plan to do so.
Too bad, as it still sounds as if the software is basically in beta.

Too bad, as it still sounds as if the software is basically in beta.

I ended up purchasing it last month when it was on sale. I installed it in my 07 LX and it works. I don't have any issues with the reverse camera or apps closing like I've read about. One big HOWEVER though, this thing is slow. It's not built to have 30 apps installed. All I want is bluetooth music, a streaming music app, and google maps. Those things works fine. It takes a second or two to change between apps but it works. Boot time is about 15 seconds. If the things hardware was updated it would be fantastic, but the hardware is cheap. I bought a $200 android radio for my FJ62 and it runs circles around this thing. But what else are you going to do? I want navigation so this is the only viable option that I've found.

Again, it works great. It's just slow as heck. And overpriced. If you're wanting to watch youtube, text, have facebook, and browse the internet then this isn't for you.

Last edited:
I ended up purchasing it last month when it was on sale. I installed it in my 07 LX and it works. I don't have any issues with the reverse camera or apps closing like I've read about. One big HOWEVER though, this thing is slow. It's not built to have 30 apps installed. All I want is bluetooth music, a streaming music app, and google maps. Those things works fine. It takes a second or two to change between apps but it works. Boot time is about 15 seconds. If the things hardware was updated it would be fantastic, but the hardware is cheap. I bought a $200 android radio for my FJ62 and it runs circles around this thing. But what else are you going to do? I want navigation so this is the only viable option that I've found.

Again, it works great. It's just slow as heck. And overpriced. If you're wanting to watch youtube, text, have facebook, and browse the internet then this isn't for you.

The functions, that I use on the VLine, are fairly stable (CarPlay, Waze, & Spotify). I don't know if I'd recommend the VLine to others, but I do enjoy the functionality that it adds.

My experience with the VLine led me to install one of the Joying double DIN head units in my son's 2000 TLC. The Joying was about 1/2 the price of the VLine, but runs circles around it.

It's a shame that they have not offered an upgrade path for the VL1 in our vehicles, either a whole VL2 or preferably an upgrade card, like the Joying Intel to PX5 upgrade board Android 8.0 Core Board - Car Accessories

So it seems that Grom has finally announced the upgraded VLine2 hardware for our factory nav models (supposed to ship 7/10):

No pre-sale discount this time.

I guess the question is, could this be a different experience than the initial pre-release of the VL1, since they should have the software figured out by now, or is this going to be a repeat performance of the VL1 release?

Reactions: JAW
No, not cheap, but inline with the 10" android replacement and considerably less than the full non-nav conversion.

Maybe I'm a glutton for beta testing Android software, or maybe just a slow learner, but I've ordered one...

Worst case I can fall back to the VL1, w/o much more than opening the glovebox.

No, not cheap, but inline with the 10" android replacement and considerably less than the full non-nav conversion.

Maybe I'm a glutton for beta testing Android software, or maybe just a slow learner, but I've ordered one...

Worst case I can fall back to the VL1, w/o much more than opening the glovebox.

Awesome, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it after giving it a run

So it seems that Grom has finally announced the upgraded VLine2 hardware for our factory nav models (supposed to ship 7/10):

No pre-sale discount this time.

I guess the question is, could this be a different experience than the initial pre-release of the VL1, since they should have the software figured out by now, or is this going to be a repeat performance of the VL1 release?

Those a-holes. I sent an email about 2 months ago and they said there was no way to do the VL2 for the 100 series cruiser. So I bought the VL1, which has been decent, but I sure would like the extra speed from the upgraded hardware. Anyone want to buy a used VL1??? Dang.

Those a-holes. I sent an email about 2 months ago and they said there was no way to do the VL2 for the 100 series cruiser. So I bought the VL1, which has been decent, but I sure would like the extra speed from the upgraded hardware. Anyone want to buy a used VL1??? Dang.

Yep, when they started showing discounted pre-purchases for all of the other Lexus models, I sent a quick note to see if they were going to offer discounted pricing for the 4th Gen Lex/Toy model as well, and more or less got a response of "F-off, if we decide to make one, we'll post it on our website".

Some of the early posts from Grom that mentioned the VL2 (on Club Lexus) seemed to indicate an upgrade path would be made available. It wasn't clear if they intended to offer a user installed upgrade board, or a ship it back for a factory upgrade. Hopefully that will become an option after the dust settles.

Early reports on VL2 for other Lex/Toy models seem to indicate it's going to be "same song different verse", but this time I feel a bit more comfortable with the fact that I can swap back to the fairly stable (but slow) VL1, without a single tool. At least this was how I justified the cost of the full VL2, instead of holding my breath for an upgrade path for my original VL1.

I do find it kind of funny that I was somewhat concerned, about the level/quality of support that I would get from a Chinese company (Joying) on their Android head unit for my son's vehicle (they have been very responsive, and most issues have been fixed in a matter of days). I'm sure they also sell a metric s*** ton of their generic double DIN head units compared to a niche product like the Vline. Now I find myself wishing the US based company (Grom), had the same level of support as Joying.

VL2 installed, it took longer to reload the apps, than it did to install the box (using the existing VL1 cables)

I've noticed no new quirks compared to the VL1 it replaced (so far), and it does seem to be quite a bit more responsive than the VL1.

Display/touchscreen is still limited by the OEM screen (no surprise here).

VL2 installed, it took longer to reload the apps, than it did to install the box (using the existing VL1 cables)

I've noticed no new quirks compared to the VL1 it replaced (so far), and it does seem to be quite a bit more responsive than the VL1.

Display/touchscreen is still limited by the OEM screen (no surprise here).

jLB - can you offer a little more of your first impressions with the upgrade? I'm following this thread even tho I went the alternate path... thx sir!

Reactions: JAW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom