Grinding sound coming from the rear of the vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I replaced the rear shocks, removed and replaced the broken part of the brake line, and bled the brakes. It actually stops! Unfortunately when I went up the road, there is a grinding sound coming from the rear. I'm wondering if either of these are possible:

- I removed the rotors and calipers in an attempt to get the parking brake working. I loosened the parking brake a good bit and PB blasted a lot of it. The pieces move when I push on them from the inside of the wheel but the brake does not actually work. Maybe related to this?

- When I was doing this, I removed the rotors and the calipers. On one side, I did not know which bolts to loosen on the caliper and I accidentally released the brake pads. I put them backin as I thought they were and reassembled the caliper. Maybe I screwed something up here?

Trial and error over here. Thanks for all the help folks!

jack the rear end up and spin each wheel to see where the noise is coming from and go from there.

jack the rear end up and spin each wheel to see where the noise is coming from and go from there.
Will do, but I think I know which one. I am guessing I reinstalled the caliper incorrectly and it is scraping the rotor. From what I have read, this is what seems most likely. If this is the case, is there guidance on how to correctly reinstall the caliper and brake pads? The pads seem in decent condition.

It could be a caliper piston sticking if rust/corrosion has caused and issue with that particular caliper that is dragging. Do you see any fluid leaking from it? Or perhaps any unusual marks/scratches on that rotor face?

I've got similar symptoms. Just noticed a grinding coming from the rear ps today, inspected the rotor and there seems to be a small band of scoring. Does this necessarily indicate a sticking caliper? I also noticed that sometimes the grinding continues while I'm driving without braking and sometimes it will cease after tapping the brakes.

If it is a sticking caliper, what is the solution for this? Rotors, pads, fluid flush, bearings?, seals?, worthwhile to fix the ebrake while I'm in there? TIA

I've got similar symptoms. Just noticed a grinding coming from the rear ps today, inspected the rotor and there seems to be a small band of scoring. Does this necessarily indicate a sticking caliper? I also noticed that sometimes the grinding continues while I'm driving without braking and sometimes it will cease after tapping the brakes.

If it is a sticking caliper, what is the solution for this? Rotors, pads, fluid flush, bearings?, seals?, worthwhile to fix the ebrake while I'm in there? TIA

For the sticking caliper, I think the consensus was it's not worth rebuilding them, just order new re-man ones from Napa or something. Otherwise, there is probably a general tutorial out there on taking the pistons out of the caliber, cleaning, lubing, and hoping the seals still work when you put them back together.

Any recommended "while you're in there" jobs? Wheel bearings? Seals?

I'm leaning toward buying a new caliper instead of rebuilding simply for times sake but want to get a comprehensive parts list together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom