Big grind sound disengaging starter (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting a wicked grind or grind sounding rattle after I release the key when starting our 2001. First thought was starter when my wife told me about it, but it doesn’t happen until the key is released - not when turned to start and not when vehicle fires up but before releasing the key.

Where do I start diagnoses (or is this for sure just the starter needing replacement at almost 300k and I should steel myself for replacement). Any risks of continuing to drive it as is or just park it until I have a starter in hand?

Thanks. John

I’d bet your starter solenoid is worn, causing slow retraction of the starter gear. Time to replace the starter. It’s wearing the teeth on the flex plate as it’s grinding - don’t wait too long.

Yeah, the grinding of the flex-late thing was kind of what I was thinking (although most my vehicles are manual transmissions, so it would be the flywheel on those). Will listen while wife starts it up to see where its coming from, then park it out of the way until a starter shows up.

John

I’d bet your starter solenoid is worn, causing slow retraction of the starter gear. Time to replace the starter. It’s wearing the teeth on the flex plate as it’s grinding - don’t wait too long.
Yes, it's this. And it will leave you stranded when it doesn't retract soon. Also the teeth will get knocked off and end up in bad places potentially. Don't mess around with this one. From onset of that same noise to total failure was like 8-10 starts for me.

Ok, right on cue...

I had the wife hop in to start it while I had the hood open to listen for location. First start nothing but spinning starter with no engagement sound! Second start it fired up and had the grind as she let the ignition switch go. Sounded like the back of the engine but a little hard to tell. Wasn't going to chance another test start so backed it out of the driveway (and out of the way) onto the street where it will sit until I have a starter.

Funds are limited - anyone have experience or issues with the Denso rebuilt from RockAuto? The new starters on RockAuto all have names that I either don't recognize or don't think I'd buy for a Toyota.

If anyone has a part number & manufacturer for the stock replacement starter that might be handy too, although I am hamstrung by having to get it shipped up into Canada.

Thanks.

this is a job you don't really want to cheap out on.
it is a halfday+ job depending on skill level
get OEM intake gaskets only and IMHO get a new starter from Toyota also
you may also need to get the plug assembly as they will get brittle

Ok, right on cue...

I had the wife hop in to start it while I had the hood open to listen for location. First start nothing but spinning starter with no engagement sound! Second start it fired up and had the grind as she let the ignition switch go. Sounded like the back of the engine but a little hard to tell. Wasn't going to chance another test start so backed it out of the driveway (and out of the way) onto the street where it will sit until I have a starter.

Funds are limited - anyone have experience or issues with the Denso rebuilt from RockAuto? The new starters on RockAuto all have names that I either don't recognize or don't think I'd buy for a Toyota.

If anyone has a part number & manufacturer for the stock replacement starter that might be handy too, although I am hamstrung by having to get it shipped up into Canada.

Thanks.
The Rockauto Denso is just fine.

Excellent. I had already planned on ordering the replacement plug, the one on my alternator self destructed when I replaced it last year - I depinned the factory plug instead of cutting and splicing, worked great.

You may want to have the knock sensor plastic connectors on hand. They are going to be very brittle. Also, if you are doing it yourself, I recommend removing the coolant sensors before removing/installing the intake. Its pretty easy to mash them trying to get the very awkward intake manifold back on.

Reactions: GTV
Started pulling wiring harness/connectors and all the miscellaneous hoses off last night. Broke the throttle body position sensor connector (and that was just by hand without tools), everything else has survived so far. Also severed what I think is the passenger side PCV hose. No local source for the connector so I ordered one from Rock Auto (seems there are none in Canada, at least that my local parts suppliers have access to).

Questions:

1) you mentioned the knock sensors, where are these (maybe I've already unplugged them?)
2) are the two coolant sensors the ones on the passenger front side of the intake?
3) do I have to drain the coolant and pull the hoses from the throttle body? or can I just unbolt the throttle body and pull it out of the way?

Pretty messy around the valve covers so will have to carefully (hah, lifting leverage is going to be a pain by myself) lift the intake out of the engine bay then diligently clean up before installing new gaskets, etc. Also looks like a potential mouse nest under the intake, will know more once its out of the way.

Started pulling wiring harness/connectors and all the miscellaneous hoses off last night. Broke the throttle body position sensor connector (and that was just by hand without tools), everything else has survived so far. Also severed what I think is the passenger side PCV hose. No local source for the connector so I ordered one from Rock Auto (seems there are none in Canada, at least that my local parts suppliers have access to).

Questions:

1) you mentioned the knock sensors, where are these (maybe I've already unplugged them?)
2) are the two coolant sensors the ones on the passenger front side of the intake?
3) do I have to drain the coolant and pull the hoses from the throttle body? or can I just unbolt the throttle body and pull it out of the way?

Pretty messy around the valve covers so will have to carefully (hah, lifting leverage is going to be a pain by myself) lift the intake out of the engine bay then diligently clean up before installing new gaskets, etc. Also looks like a potential mouse nest under the intake, will know more once its out of the way.
1. In the valley next to the starter
2. Yes, but not part of intake.
3. I don’t recall disconnecting coolant hoses, but it’s been a while.

I laid a 2x6 across the fenders so I could lay my chest on it. That worked pretty well after the intake was off.

Ok, to answer my first question - just unbolt the throttle body and pull it aside, then you don't have to disconnect the coolant hoses.

Second bolt for the starter sucks! Was able to use a specialty ratchet I have that rotates the socket when you twirl the handle (so hard to explain, but you don't have to rotate the handle through its arc) to get the second one out, will definitely be harder to get back in properly.

Definitely a mouse nest underneath the intake. Vacuuming will be required.

Also broke the passenger knock sensor - I have a spare aftermarket knock sensor harness plug but the female plug that is part of knock sensor came with the harness side plug. I'm hoping the local parts store has one, otherwise I'll have to wait until Toyota opens tomorrow which means reassembly will be later in the week.

All buttoned back up finally last night. Installed the new knock sensor no problem, dropped the intake back into place with no issues, started hooking up the wiring harness plugs but ran into 4 of the injector plugs that would not click down into place. Had my local parts store pull stock from their warehouse and picked them up yesterday. Three de-pinned no problem but the fourth didn't want to accept one of the pins so I ended up splicing into that line. Got all the hoses back into place, found some 11/32" (15mm) hose in one of my bins and built a replacement passenger PCV hose, otherwise I did find places for everything (finally).

Pushed a start into it last night and it started ok. Did have a throttle drop bog that I think is just the throttle body/computer relearning after I disconnected the battery. Decided to wait until daylight tomorrow before I drive it to see if I've introduced any new drivability issues with all the disconnected hoses/wiring/etc.

Big job and kneeling on the passenger valve cover while I pulled the starter and reinstalled kind of sucked, but not insurmountable beyond the age of all the hoses and plastic bits.

Lock tab, of starter wire housing connector. Almost always breaks.
Statrer wire housing connector (1).JPG

I re-set contact of all remanufactured starters
IMG_7444.jpg
IMG_7445.jpg

Clean Clean Clean. I clean top of engine before removing anything but engine cover. I finish by getting on top of engine with a flashlight. Then vacuum out ever spec of dust from intake port of heads.

020.JPG

Remember. Intake gaskets, White tabs up.
Z 01 LX470 day Starter, wire splice & intake installed 3-22-16 028.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom