Builds Gordita Build- Finishing the 4WU 3-linked FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That thing came out sweet!

Thanks guys

Looks awesome man. I think that this is the best line to take for lining an 80. I really want to do mine this spring. I am going to see how much linex wants for the job.

Here in SA it was about $1100 of memory serves me correctly

I'll have to ask Andy how much each kit was and what it would have been to just do the liner. My numbers are all jacked up since he did a bunch of other things too, like pull the bigger dents, cut the rear and fill all the holes. $1100 sounds about right, took like 4 kits worth! Best body line IMO for an 80 with cut fenders. I saw examples with the "faux-flares" but since the front and rear aren't exactly even, it would have been hard to make it flow. Super happy with the result.

Man that truck is sweet!! I wanna Line X mine so badly... gonna de-flare it too the more I see without em the more I wanna do it.

Much appreciated! Do it! all the cool kids are..

It's either de flare on your own terms or wait for Mother Nature to do it on hers. Bobby was actually there the day I lost my first flare(s), so we are bonded together for life.

HAHAHA that was a golden moment. And I remember something like "watch out guys, my brakes feel a little squishy..."

What rate springs are you running?

No clue on the exact spring rate, haven't examined the rear springs for part#'s since I got it month or two ago. I know they're the Slee 4" lift springs but that's about it. Got a little saggy butt going on in the pic's. Now with more room for tire stuffage, I'll be messing with the rear bumpstops and replacing the tired OME's with some 2.5" Radflos. May swap springs as well... I could always mess with the preload on the front coilovers to level it out...but I'm lazy like that right now.

Nice on the liner. I did the DIY and am not all that happy with it. I was really on the fence about it or going with Line-X or similar. In the end I went DIY and wish I had paid for the Line-X. Brutal where I live for rock chips. Won't be using DIY again.

Cheers

No clue on the exact spring rate, haven't examined the rear springs for part#'s since I got it month or two ago. I know they're the Slee 4" lift springs but that's about it. Got a little saggy butt going on in the pic's. Now with more room for tire stuffage, I'll be messing with the rear bumpstops and replacing the tired OME's with some 2.5" Radflos. May swap springs as well... I could always mess with the preload on the front coilovers to level it out...but I'm lazy like that right now.

Sorry hah, I was asking about the fronts. On your 14" coilovers. I assume they're 2.0s. Just curious what spring rates you're running.

Thanks man.

Sorry hah, I was asking about the fronts. On your 14" coilovers. I assume they're 2.0s. Just curious what spring rates you're running.

Thanks man.

2.0s and per 4WU:

We are using a 200/350 spring. There two ways to get the truck lower. 1: use a softer spring or 2: use a triple rate system. I am not a fan of the later. There is a certain amount of spring rate needed and going softer has means more body roll. Not much and you can put a sway bar on if needed.

Oh Awesome, just what I was after, thanks man! Perfect!

edit: I am a bit confused now though. What I'm calculating that I need is a about a 130#/in spring rate. Which is like somewhere around 525 total or like a 225/300, and I've got a cummins and 5/16 of plate on the frame.

That's calculating using my current springs which are like 850 total and RIDICULOUS.

Last edited:
2.0s and per 4WU:

There ya go, the man with all the answers. J should know since he's been waiting for his kit for a while know right?en are you throwing the front on?

Oh Awesome, just what I was after, thanks man! Perfect!

edit: I am a bit confused now though. What I'm calculating that I need is a about a 130#/in spring rate. Which is like somewhere around 525 total or like a 225/300, and I've got a cummins and 5/16 of plate on the frame.

That's calculating using my current springs which are like 850 total and RIDICULOUS.

Completely honest, I have no clue into the reasoning for the lbs/in. I know the PO opted for the lighter rate for a softer ride and keep the center of gravity low. Hardly any preload on the collar. It could use a stiffer spring tho for the street, or even better a sway bar. I deal for now though, hardly is driven unless it's to or from the trail. Still tunnel vision on what needs to change first then start tinkering with existing mods. Maybe 4WU has more info in his thread on why...

Headed into the booth today for the last stage in the makeover. Keeping the factory color. Just a nice new coat and clear to protect the metal for another 20yrs

94829d40bca17c47efe6a4f3650e0998_zps00f338a5.jpg

Will be out in Johnson Valley this weekend to begin the destruction all over again

Do it Ike!

So picked it up from Andy at Euro Pacific. Hot diggity I'm so happy with the final result. The factory color matched up well with that I was envisioning. Also saved me some paint cost since I didn't have to get the jams etc done.
The only clean pictures I have
f0e37532ed5b7785bedb08ec8afb0445_zpsaeee39e0.jpg

2c67e8eed9a053af20d5706408760a1f_zps69636d5c.jpg

61f6d7041cc0c74e8871cf3e65a49503_zps962764c9.jpg

Went out on the front lawn and tried flexing it out and getting it to full bump. How it looks now with the fender cut
893d12083badf595517c46e40b2ad41d_zps0efd70a9.jpg

e76245ed9683c187900676409b45391c_zpsc4225607.jpg

Now that was lawn testing. After getting it all prettied up, decided to go get it dirty out at Cougar Buttes...
Ran parts of Cakewalk, Bullfrog and some new stuff since it's been a while since we've Brent there
1c65b950e594cbe1561579e373bc1439_zps36ef0c83.jpg

25ee95c44fbb0a944ffe09cb3352d60a_zpsb7350642.jpg

b3f394a9062c62416796f8f4745c4066_zps0e546006.jpg

7b86c5d5f8f4c705f549fea24a9ba536_zpsc185e0a5.jpg

5df5004a21e6cd0c6747f3b09dd2d4a4_zps82f55622.jpg

40a74831a58621d3911d47b1b6e01d4a_zpsf29a61ca.jpg

My wheelin buddy enjoyed the nice weather. Desert season is finally here!
adbb81b02fb2c700da5350cc57f3bd3c_zps287be4c2.jpg

No trail carnage for anyone, so it was a good day. I did manage to get the front and rear to stuff to the point of rubbing. Front on the inner fender...whatever. Rear, on the rear bumper. Just crazy since I'm still running the same bumps as before. Will have to trim the bumper and slider. Trying to get everything set and then enlisting a local shop to come up with a way to install some air bumps at the correct height in the back. Lastly, and very odd, my shifter began to get extremely tough to get out of park. It shifted through all the gear selections no problem, and into park is easy. Doesn't feel like a linkage issue...maybe the plastic button on the shifter?

Looks great man! Those wheel wells look so cavernous now that it's all trimmed up.

Thanks haha but you know the thing about cougar buttes, always works the suspension to the max. I freakin rubbed on the bumper with the same bumps as before, just smashed the rubber apparently.

Thanks haha but you know the thing about cougar buttes, always works the suspension to the max. I freakin rubbed on the bumper with the same bumps as before, just smashed the rubber apparently.
Cougar buttes is a disappointment compared to the hammers. I know you probably don't want to trash your rig but you should have no problem on lower big Johnson, upper big Johnson, boulderdash, tackhammer, or clawhammer. If those leave you wanting more, run sledgehammer. It's not horribly tight and I made it through with no damage - just had to get out a lot and look

Cougar buttes is a disappointment compared to the hammers. I know you probably don't want to trash your rig but you should have no problem on lower big Johnson, upper big Johnson, boulderdash, tackhammer, or clawhammer. If those leave you wanting more, run sledgehammer. It's not horribly tight and I made it through with no damage - just had to get out a lot and look

Most definitely true when comparing the two as in challenging, technical and gnar factors. Cougar buttes is the place that makes you feel like super man with 100% traction all the time. Just was out for the day showing some buddies around for the first time.
I'll definitely be taking the 80 to JV. Have run LBJ and Claw in the FJC before and it would have zero issues. Some seriously fun times out there, sucks my buddies down to go to the hammers in similar built rigs moved away. The rest are too scared or are in full buggy mode and I make them bored with those trails. If anyone's local and wants to go, I'm always up for a weekend jaunt.

Awesome build, sub'd.

Have a 93 I'm building up. Deflared it and now I'm trying to figure out how I want to patch before I line the whole truck(paint is bad).

got my rigs oil pans off as i felt i was killing the environment with the amount of oil i was dropping. i should have things back together by end of this week and will need to test drive. Would like to tag along if possible?

No 80, that I know of, has run 'soup can' on the rubicon. Hook up this spring? You, me, nuke goat, JCardona and possibly others? We can all take turns...

It's chicken sh hit in a mini truck, I've done it 50+ times, forward/ backward, flopped on it, even assaulted it w open diffs and full throttle(broken ARB compressor and beer).

But the 80 is a big pig. New challenge. You've gotta line up perfectly, there's no backing up as our rigs will just stab the butt into the ground in reverse on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom