Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new short block has arrived!

tempImagerLf6IC.jpg

The last thing I need to buy for the engine rebuild was the head bolts. I could not believe that they listed for $23.64 a bolt and 14 are needed! I went to my usual source (McGeorge Toyota) and they had them for $16.45 a bolt. Talking to a friend and he suggested I look at ARP (American Racing Products) to get racing bolts. I went to their site, but they do not make bolts for the Land Cruiser. They make them for other Toyotas, but not ours. I finally checked Partsouq and they had them for $9.27. I ordered them and they are now on their way. If you need head bolts go straight to Partsouq.

I don’t know where you are in Southern California, but Norm Reeves Toyota consistently has lower prices than McGeorge.

I went to their site, but they require that you give your info and what parts you want. That is too much work for me.

:headscratch:

How do you order parts without entering what parts you want?!? That sounds awesome.

:headscratch:

How do you order parts without entering what parts you want?!? That sounds awesome.
On most sites there is a bar where you put the part number in and it shows you the price. This site wants you to put in your name, address, phone number, and email address and then they will get back to you about what part you may want. That's a no go for me.

On most sites there is a bar where you put the part number in and it shows you the price. This site wants you to put in your name, address, phone number, and email address and then they will get back to you about what part you may want. That's a no go for me.
Uh, not sure what you are doing, but I’ve never had to do that. I search for a part, put it in my cart and order…

I went here:

So the engine replacement is kind of at a standstill right now. I don't think my regular mechanic has the appetite to take on such a job right now. I know it's more profitable for him to take on medium sized jobs that can be turned much faster. I've already talked to Top Line Performance in Huntington Beach and they said they can do it. They work on a lot of 80s. They had two 80 engine replacements the day I went over. They also had about a dozen other 80s awaiting work. The owner's personal vehicle is an 80 with an LS swap.

He told me there is about a three week wait (translated: five week wait) for them to begin. I am going to go down and pull some camping stuff out of my 80 and talk to my mechanic on Friday and see if he truly wants to do the job or if he would prefer that I take it elsewhere. I am also waiting on Top Line to get back with an estimate. Fingers crossed 🤞.

Last edited:
The engine replacement is finally happening after stalling for a couple of months. The old engine has been pulled and stripped. The engine is actually in perfect shape and I have listed it on the classified section. The head has now been sent off to get machined.
IMG_1181.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom