Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update on the engine replacement: I my mechanic, finally, started working on building the new engine. When he went to put on the head he discovered that the cam sub gear (pictured below) was off 180 degrees so the hold for the pin to go through was in the wrong place. The head has to go back to the machine shop to get that corrected. Ughh! Still crossing my fingers 🤞 that I will be driving away with the 80 by March 25.

Camshaft.png

To update this thread. It is now March 27 and the project is moving forward albeit too slowly for my taste. I was hoping to have it back my now. The engine is ready to be put back into the engine bay. The valve cover and air intake manifolds have been added, plus the bottom half of the motor.. Since this picture was taken the harmonic balancer and the fuel filter have been attached. Yes, both are OEM. Yes, I also know the valve cover is dirty and the heat shield can use a cleaning. I am going to be doing this after I get this back. It is near 11 months since I brought this to my mechanic. I just want to get it back! I will work on making it pretty when I get it back. I would've preferred if he had cleaned the parts before re-assembly - but I have learned that he doesn't pay attention to the small details like that. I will not be using him going forward.

tempImagezwAime.jpg

So I got "great" news today. I went over to my mechanic today at lunch to make sure he had put my 80 inside the shop to install the engine. It was not. I told the owner that I needed to see the LC in the shop by the end of the day. After 10 months there was no more wiggle room. I need to have this by a week from Wednesday to have it ready for Cruise Moab. He showed me his schedule and had the 80 going in today. I told him that I would I would be back after work to make sure.

I returned after work and he wasn't at the shop. I talked to his wife and she asked me what I needed. I told her I was checking to see that my Cruiser was put in the shop today. She said that wasn't going to happen because a Ford was a priority. Priority? I asked how does a car become a "priority" since my car has been there for 10 months? She informed me that her husband didn't figure I would return as a customer after this, so he would prioritize other work! Now I am last in line to get my engine done.

She said that she would have the lead mechanic start working on mine Wednesday and should have it done by next Monday or Tuesday. She would only have him work on it without distraction to get it complete. She added the caveat that it might change depending upon what her husband does. Do I believe her - I want to. Come Wednesday, I'll likely confirm what I think is going to happen.

Now I am going to ask my fellow mudders, is there anyone out there who can help me? I am in So Cal (if my name doesn't give it away) in the Riverside County area. I need to find a place to put it first. I do have a friend who is a good hobbyist mechanic who can do it. However, I would like the help of someone who is familiar with the specifics of the 80 to smooth out the wrinkles and make the install less time consuming and easier. DM, if interested. @SNLC I should've sent it to you! :bang:

Last edited:
So I got "great" news today. I went over to my mechanic today at lunch to make sure he had put my 80 inside the shop to install the engine. It was not. I told the owner that I needed to see the LC in the shop by the end of the day. After 10 months there was no more wiggle room. I need to have this by a week from Wednesday to have it ready for Cruise Moab. He showed me his schedule and had the 80 going in today. I told him that I would I would be back after work to make sure.

I returned after work and he wasn't at the shop. I talked to his wife and she asked me what I needed. I told her I was checking to see that my Cruiser was put in the shop today. She said that wasn't going to happen because a Ford was a priority. Priority? I asked how does a car become a "priority" since my car has been there for 10 months? She informed me that her husband didn't figure I would return as a customer after this, so he would prioritize other work! Now I am last in line to get my engine done.

She said that she would have the lead mechanic start working on mine Wednesday and should have it done by next Monday or Tuesday. She would only have him work on it without distraction to get it complete. She added the caveat that it might change depending upon what her husband does. Do I believe her - I want to. Come Wednesday, I'll likely confirm what I think is going to happen.

Now I am going to ask my fellow mudders, is there anyone out there who can help me? I am in So Cal (if my name doesn't give it away) in the Riverside County area. I need to find a place to put it first. I do have a friend who is a good hobbyist mechanic who can do it. However, I would like the help of someone who is familiar with the specifics of the 80 to smooth out the wrinkles and make the install less time consuming and easier. DM, if interested. @SNLC I should've sent it to you! :bang:
Brother, I wish we were closer, I would wrap that baby up for you. This sucks, I feel your pain.

In today's episode of How the World Turns the mechanic is now committed to finishing my 80. My LC is now pushed into the bay. I was hoping to see the motor mounted and it wasn't, but the biggest obstacle (just pushing it into the bay) is out of the way. The lead mechanic had one last job to do and is going full-time on the GG80. It just might be ready for Cruise Moab after all (🤞🏼).

All that time with no engine in the bay and you didn't clean it and detail it?!? :rofl:

Have been watching this and am pumped you are to this point... almost back to driving.

All that time with no engine in the bay and you didn't clean it and detail it?!? :rofl:

Have been watching this and am pumped you are to this point... almost back to driving.
Thank you. I'm stoked, too to get it back. As for cleaning it - I will get to that when I get it back in to my hands.

Well, disappointing news. After getting my 80 back from the mechanic I discovered there is a leak somewhere in the engine. When I went to change the oil I noticed that there was fluid (likely oil) going down the driver's side frame rail, the oil pan and the underside of the engine and going down the transfer case along the speedo cable and on the skid plate. The good news is that I found a new mechanic. He has a muffler shop, which fixed the above issue, and a performance mechanic shop. He specializes in hot rods, but takes regular jobs. He is a true car guy and appreciates the 80 as a "performance' vehicle. He is going to track down the issue(s) that is causing the leak. The bummer is I can't take the GG80 to Moab. I will still be going. The GG60 will be there. I will be taking my Subie, but riding along in the 60 for trail runs. The good news is that I will be in Moab - not work!

I should have the 80 in the booth at Expo West for anyone going there. Regardless, I look forward to meeting my fellow mudders on Thursday night.

Well, disappointing news. After getting my 80 back from the mechanic I discovered there is a leak somewhere in the engine. When I went to change the oil I noticed that there was fluid (likely oil) going down the driver's side frame rail, the oil pan and the underside of the engine and going down the transfer case along the speedo cable and on the skid plate. The good news is that I found a new mechanic. He has a muffler shop, which fixed the above issue, and a performance mechanic shop. He specializes in hot rods, but takes regular jobs. He is a true car guy and appreciates the 80 as a "performance' vehicle. He is going to track down the issue(s) that is causing the leak. The bummer is I can't take the GG80 to Moab. I will still be going. The GG60 will be there. I will be taking my Subie, but riding along in the 60 for trail runs. The good news is that I will be in Moab - not work!

I should have the 80 in the booth at Expo West for anyone going there. Regardless, I look forward to meeting my fellow mudders on Thursday night.
Bummer, but glad you have options and making use of them. Sounds like you will still have a great time.

I had fun in Moab. Got into a little trouble when we went off trail on Dome Plateau. We went up the slip rock and started sliding sideways and then the brakes failed. Landed in a hole and had to wench the GG60. Got real close to rolling over. I will admit that I puckered up a bit.
tempImage3KJpCk.jpg
out.

tempImageOwQI4q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom