Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was a weekend to do some work on the GG 80. I had maxed out my Blue Sea 6 fuse block and actually had 7 things attached to it. I decided to replace it with a 12 fuse block. I didn't realize how dusty it got in there! I vacuumed it out. When I get some time I am going to have to figure out how all the dust is getting in and then fix it. A future project in the near future is to relocate the airline coupler to the rear bumper and add a solar controller above the ARB air compressor.

IMG_0675.jpeg

I've run an ARB compressor in the rear panel of my old 80, and now in my Troopy. Yeah, it's loud. Locked inside the panel it's muffled a bit, but not much. That said, it isn't deafening.

It isn't like it funs continuous duty except when airing up... and usually myself and passengers are out of the car when airing up. I rate the protection of being installed on the interior as better for the long-term health of the compressor... and more important than never hearing the compressor.

Definitely leaning towards installing in the rear. Agreed that if I run a tank I'm not going to have the comp kick on frequently with lockers engaged, unless I have a leak ... which I should be hunting down anyway, not throwing more air at it. I'm also looking at mounting my switchpro in the same location, along with my Blue Sea secondary panel. Only concern I have now is with all that load I'm going to need to run 2ga wire to the rear quarter to compensate for voltage drop. :doh:

Definitely leaning towards installing in the rear. Agreed that if I run a tank I'm not going to have the comp kick on frequently with lockers engaged, unless I have a leak ... which I should be hunting down anyway, not throwing more air at it. I'm also looking at mounting my switchpro in the same location, along with my Blue Sea secondary panel. Only concern I have now is with all that load I'm going to need to run 2ga wire to the rear quarter to compensate for voltage drop. :doh:

Run the 2 gauge... a bit spendy and a hassle to route... but it'll be so handy to have that lead run back there. I did the calcs and went with 4 gauge. I have the single piston compressor and have fused appropriately for the 4 gauge. It's just VERY handy having the power available in the rear. Have already run an extra usb charger.

Run the 2 gauge... a bit spendy and a hassle to route... but it'll be so handy to have that lead run back there. I did the calcs and went with 4 gauge. I have the single piston compressor and have fused appropriately for the 4 gauge. It's just VERY handy having the power available in the rear. Have already run an extra usb charger.

Yeah, I'll suck it up and run 2ga to a terminal block back there. It'll be a pain, but at least this way I won't have to run the line again if I upgrade something.

Nice installs guys. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm running 4 gauge with no issues myself.

As with everything dealing with an 80 problems came up with it during my last trip. My Baja designs spot lights on my rear lift gate stopped working. Others have had the same issue, so I am going to replace them with National Lunas. I stopped in Stove Pipe Wells on my way out of Death Valley to air up and had my ARB twin compressor quit on me. When I got home I noticed that all of my electrical connected to the auxiliary battery was out. I called a friend to problem solve and he told me to check the fuses under the hood. Sure enough the compressor had knocked out two of them. I switched them back on and the electrical was fine. I plugged in the shore power to get the battery topped off. I tried the compressor and it turned on, but then quit. I called ARB and the tech person said it was likely the pressure sensor that failed. I ordered a new one ($12) and am now waiting on delivery.

Now for the fun part. I am going to have to undo my electrical and compressor so I can get the Wit's End quarter panel removed to access the compressor to change out the pressure sensor.

On the bright side, nothing mechanically went wrong with the 80 on this trip. For the time being I have resolved the issues that it had. I can still go out and hit the trails without a compressor. Won't be able to use the locker, but that's a minor thing. I can get out and camp!

806224F6-F254-4513-8E8D-17CD86B30F3F.jpeg
D3599DE1-CC16-408A-BEAD-14DF5BC4160C.jpeg

I got and installed the Front Runner drop down table on the tire carrier. This was one of the reasons I wanted to switch the Rigd Ultraswing - its ability to add accessories. Now I won't have to move things back and forth between the drawer and the fridge because I won't have to use the tailgate as a table!

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0775.jpeg

Last edited:
In other parts of the project I have finished the aluminum panel that the solar panel will sit on. I have tapped the holes, put a slight chamfer on the edges and radiuses the corners and it's now on to powder coating to match the black of the roof rack.

IMG_0772.jpeg

I've been making some progress on the GG 80. I got the panel back from powder coating and got it and the solar controller mounted. Hopefully in the next 4 - 6 weeks I will have the time to mount the solar panel to it and get it wired and working.

tempImageIBjdIX.png

tempImagekfAZfX.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom