Good Engine Hoist and Engine Stand Shop Use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ranma21

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.februarydesign.com
Hey guys, any recommendation for good engine hoist and engine stand for workshop use? I am not looking for cheap quality designed to used for few times then thrashed.

From my experience, most of the readily available engine hoists, and engine stands are all similar in design/construction.

I have a 'Goodyear' engine hoist I bought from Sam's twenty odd years ago. Still functions fine. Actually just unearthed it from the garage to lift a tree into a hole. Long story with many wife-isms....

Engine stands are also similar, unless you get into the high end, heavy duty realm. I had two (both Goodyear branded). Used them for my Ford 5.0, and my T18/Dana 20. Sold the last one a few months ago, and I know in a couple more months, I'm going to regret doing that.

Unless you're a pro shop, and these things see daily use, I'd be heading to Harbor Freight and getting what they have. Coupons are always available for 20% or 25% off.

Now... What I'd really like to see, is a conversion to the engine hoist, that has bigger wheels/tires. Those small casters/wheels are a biotch to move on grass (see above tree comment).

Hey guys, any recommendation for good engine hoist and engine stand for workshop use? I am not looking for cheap quality designed to used for few times then thrashed.
What motors are you looking to work on? A Small Block Chevy, a 2F and a Cummins all require a different level of engine stand. Same deal with the hoist: what cars/trucks are you working on? Older vehicles and Land Cruisers need a long reach arm to get at a motor - most of the Harbor Freight stuff won't reach far enough with enough capacity to grab a 2F without yanking the front bumper... If all you wanna work on are FWD Honda's then sure, the stuff at HF will work fine.

Nick

What motors are you looking to work on? A Small Block Chevy, a 2F and a Cummins all require a different level of engine stand. Same deal with the hoist: what cars/trucks are you working on? Older vehicles and Land Cruisers need a long reach arm to get at a motor - most of the Harbor Freight stuff won't reach far enough with enough capacity to grab a 2F without yanking the front bumper... If all you wanna work on are FWD Honda's then sure, the stuff at HF will work fine.

Nick

Hey Nick,

It will be all cruisers from 40 series and up.

From my experience, most of the readily available engine hoists, and engine stands are all similar in design/construction.

I have a 'Goodyear' engine hoist I bought from Sam's twenty odd years ago. Still functions fine. Actually just unearthed it from the garage to lift a tree into a hole. Long story with many wife-isms....

Engine stands are also similar, unless you get into the high end, heavy duty realm. I had two (both Goodyear branded). Used them for my Ford 5.0, and my T18/Dana 20. Sold the last one a few months ago, and I know in a couple more months, I'm going to regret doing that.

Unless you're a pro shop, and these things see daily use, I'd be heading to Harbor Freight and getting what they have. Coupons are always available for 20% or 25% off.

Now... What I'd really like to see, is a conversion to the engine hoist, that has bigger wheels/tires. Those small casters/wheels are a biotch to move on grass (see above tree comment).

Thanks for the info, looking for good quality tools for long term use for my new workshop. Don’t get me wrong but I don’t trust Harbor Freight stuffs bad experience with their stand causing my 80 to drop.

Not trying to save few bucks, but looking for good quality tools.

I've found the 'Big Red' series from Torin to pretty good and reasonably priced. Certainly get the 2-Ton picker.

The hf one ton engine stand is surprisingly good. I have two of them.

From what I can tell by looking at them, the 1 and 2 ton engine cranes sold by HF, Northern Tool, Walmart, Sears, etc are all made in China and look identical except for different colors and labels. They sell for $175 - $225 for the 1 ton to $250 - $300 for the 2 ton. If you want a new one made in the US, like an OTC, you will need to spend 10 times more money. The point is you may not have a lot to choose from unless you spend a lot of money.

I bought a Chinese 2 ton crane 20 years ago when the quality was worse and it has taken a beating and still works. I have lended it out a bunch too, so it has been beaten like a step child. The pump reservoir seeps a bit, so I need to refill it after it sits for a while, but it still holds pressure.

I have a HF 2 ton and it been reliable, but we all know HF is hit and miss. I went through all the ones in the store & bought the one with the best looking welds. I’ve pulled a 2F/TC/H42 with no problem.

Thank you guys, I picked up a 2 tons big red engine hoist, any of you replace the metal wheels with something better?

I bought a used "Bluebird" from a rental shop that was liquidating its inventory. $300. I have not found any new models that break down as easily and as compact.
Very happy with mine

My favorite cherry picker is a cheep forklift.. it is one of the best tools I have ever bought.. use it for everything from changing tires to it being an adjustable work bench..

biggest heavest 4 wheel engine stand you can find.. search for used snap on and Mac, most of the China ones max out with a Long block small block Chevy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom