Going from an fj80 to possibly a kzj78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also Recently decided to replace the cheep aftermarket clear side turn signals with new oem toyota ones. I actually like the factory orange much much better. its beyond me as to why they were changed in the first place. I think they look so much better than the off brand ones. I think at some point in the past one of the owners found one of these kits. Unfortunately I cant find the front factory orange turn signals. If anybody knows where I can get the orange front turn signals let me know. I did find factory tail lights that should be delivered today!
IMG_8796.JPG

Last edited:
I did the egr delete this morning. really pretty strait forward. Not a lot of room between the firewall and the engine and the egr piping sits almost flush against a heater core pipe. To get the egr system out you really should take all the studs out however I had a little trouble with the lower stud on the exhaust side. I was worried about breaking the stud so instead of pulling the studs out on that side I decided to cut the egr tube so I could get the egr system out. this seemed easier than taking the stud out. So no chance of ever putting the egr system back in unless I buy another. The plates fit well and the plate (exhaust side) has a threaded spot to add a exhaust gas temp gage to witch I need to purchase. Ill post some pictures soon! Anybody have any suggestions for a exhaust pyrometer gage?

Additionally I installed some stock tail lights and they look so much better to me!

Anybody have any suggestions for a exhaust pyrometer gage?
My dad and I use the Issopro EV2, they look somewhat OEM compared to some of the more "cheesy" fonts some gauges have. If you wanna save some money though buy a used pyrometer off of ebay, when I did my turbo build I got all my gauges, besides the pyrometer, off of ebay.

Issopro EV2 Pyrometer

My dad and I use the Issopro EV2, they look somewhat OEM compared to some of the more "cheesy" fonts some gauges have. If you wanna save some money though buy a used pyrometer off of ebay, when I did my turbo build I got all my gauges, besides the pyrometer, off of ebay.

Issopro EV2 Pyrometer
I remember talking to your Dad about the pyrometer but I could not remember what he said. Thanks for the info!! Ill probably go with this one because Like you said its nothing too cheesy. it actually is not too expensive looking. I am jealous of the fj40 you guys have! I hope to come down to Wilmington sometime in late summer! Did you figure out your birf situation?

here are some photos from the egr delete. you can see that heater core pipe that made it a little more challenging.

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG
IMG_8808.JPG

I also replaced the tail lights. I feel like most people probibly change the ones I just put on for the ones I took off. I am just a fan of the oem look.

IMG_8813.JPG

IMG_8816.JPG

the old ones have an led break light. I am going to keep them incase I ever break the oem ones.
The last thing I did this weekend was put the bumper ends back on the front bumper. They are for a 78 with flairs but they still look ok.

bumper ends:
IMG_8817.JPG

My new tires will be here tomorrow. I was hoping they would be here on friday but they got delayed. crossing my fingers that I will be able to get them mounted this week.

next on the to do list, new timing belt, lower temp thermostat, waterpump, valve cover gasket (might do that today) Break pads front and rear. (will do that before I mount the new tires)

Last edited:
There was a time when we could not get any LJ or KZ Cruisers at the Meet and Greet. That fortunately is no longer the case. Now we’re trying attract at least one 90 Series. 😊

There was a time when we could not get any LJ or KZ Cruisers at the Meet and Greet. That fortunately is no longer the case. Now we’re trying attract at least one 90 Series. 😊
I was very very close to getting a 90 series. If It had not been for a second ball joint failure in 2 years on my first gen tacoma I might have bought a 90 series. (same front suspension design)

Hello Charles,

90 Series production ran from 1996 to 2002. CKD assembly in Colombia ran until 2009.

MY 1996 trucks are now old enough to legally go to the US.

Chances are you will have at least one from this year on.

Juan

Did you notice any change after the EGR delete?
I have not driven around enough really to tell. It seems to maybe run a little more smoothly. It certainly does not run any worse. I am going to take the intake off maybe when I do the valve cover gasket. I have a feeling the old egr Gunked up the intake. Its gotta help with heat too. It takes up a lot more space back there than I thought it would. Ill let you know after I clean the intake how I feel about it.

Last edited:
I have not driven around enough really to tell. It seems to maybe run a little more smoothly. It certainly does not run any worse. I am going to take the intake off maybe when I do the valve cover gasket. I have a feeling the old egr Gunked up the intake. Its gotta help with heat too. It takes up a lot more space back there than I thought it would. Ill let you know after I clean the intake how I feel about it.
When you're ready, do a quick write up about what you did and how it worked out for you. It's on my wish list of things to do alter this summer... will see if I get around to it. If I get to it, it will likely be in the same breath as installing an EGT probe (planning on using the blanking plate for insertion), cleaning the intake, and changing a leaking valve cover gasket.

I also Recently decided to replace the cheep aftermarket clear side turn signals with new oem toyota ones. I actually like the factory orange much much better. its beyond me as to why they were changed in the first place. I think they look so much better than the off brand ones. I think at some point in the past one of the owners found one of these kits. Unfortunately I cant find the front factory orange turn signals. If anybody knows where I can get the orange front turn signals let me know. I did find factory tail lights that should be delivered today!View attachment 3013774
@Roastchestnuts I could be wrong on yours, but on my model KZJ78, the front corner lights are clear because when you turn on your turn signal, the corresponding corner light turns on to light up the area in the direction you are turning into. That wouldn't work so well if the lense was orange like the earlier LJ's. My 95 isuzu trooper also had this feature, I really like it! not sure why auto manufacturers stopped doing it. Maybe check it out and see what happens when you turn on your turn signal.

When you're ready, do a quick write up about what you did and how it worked out for you. It's on my wish list of things to do alter this summer... will see if I get around to it. If I get to it, it will likely be in the same breath as installing an EGT probe (planning on using the blanking plate for insertion), cleaning the intake, and changing a leaking valve cover gasket.
same here.

@Roastchestnuts I could be wrong on yours, but on my model KZJ78, the front corner lights are clear because when you turn on your turn signal, the corresponding corner light turns on to light up the area in the direction you are turning into. That wouldn't work so well if the lense was orange like the earlier LJ's. My 95 isuzu trooper also had this feature, I really like it! not sure why auto manufacturers stopped doing it. Maybe check it out and see what happens when you turn on your turn signal.
Ohh wow I have no idea if thats true but Ill check it out when I get off work. I know my clear ones are not Toyota brand lenses and I have seen ones for sale that are clear that are Toyota. You are probably right. Ill let you know what I find out.

Will do! I have a big list of little things like this that I have been slowly tackling. I might even buy a timing belt kit and just do all my engine maintenance at once. but Ill take pictures and do a little write up when I do all that. I

will say the EGR delete part was really strait forward. Unbolting 4 nuts that I believe were 12mm and pulling the studs on the intake side with the double nut method (the kit I got came with bolts to replace the studs) and then I had to cut the egr tube to get the exhaust side off the studs because of lack of clearance because of the heater core pipe right behind it. ( If you can find another way: do it. I don't like cutting things like that) I did it this way because I really did not want to mess with a stud on the exhaust side that was giving me trouble.

Then it was just a matter of bolting the block off plates up with the gaskets (van life north west included a metal one for the exhaust side and a paper gasket for the intake side.) a little vacuum line cap thats super easy to loose comes with the kit too.

Will do! I have a big list of little things like this that I have been slowly tackling. I might even buy a timing belt kit and just do all my engine maintenance at once. but Ill take pictures and do a little write up when I do all that. I

will say the EGR delete part was really strait forward. Unbolting 4 nuts that I believe were 12mm and pulling the studs on the intake side with the double nut method (the kit I got came with bolts to replace the studs) and then I had to cut the egr tube to get the exhaust side off the studs because of lack of clearance because of the heater core pipe right behind it. ( If you can find another way: do it. I don't like cutting things like that) I did it this way because I really did not want to mess with a stud on the exhaust side that was giving me trouble.

Then it was just a matter of bolting the block off plates up with the gaskets (van life north west included a metal one for the exhaust side and a paper gasket for the intake side.) a little vacuum line cap thats super easy to loose comes with the kit too.
Nothing electronic required? I thought I recalled seeing electrical connectors on the EGR system... not sure where they go - likely would be ECU or fuel pump - or what happens if they are no longer giving a signal. I know with some of the newer cars, you get a check engine light if you remove the EGR valves.

Nothing electronic required? I thought I recalled seeing electrical connectors on the EGR system... not sure where they go - likely would be ECU or fuel pump - or what happens if they are no longer giving a signal. I know with some of the newer cars, you get a check engine light if you remove the EGR valves.
It does have a electrical connection you have to disconnect, you are correct. I read somewhere on here that it won't throw a code for the 1kzte. so far I have not gotten a check engine light. and I have done probably 100kms on the truck without the egr.

well I got the tires and rims on today afterwork. I think it looks more 1980s Toyota. Kinda the look I am going for. I really like it! drives a lot better going 55mph as well. I need to take it on the beach soon to see how it does out there. I still need to buy a spare but dang this thing looks way better to me! little less tactical looking and more utilitarian looking.

52094718653_706a9d792a_k.jpg
52094935744_093b52cc9a_k.jpg
52094935734_27164c84d3_k.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom