Giant Loop 5 gallon gas bag review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

leucadiacruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
In an effort to lighten the load and make space on longer trips, I’ve made the switch from Scepter cans to the Giant Loop 5 gallon gas bags and have used them on my last two trips. With a few hundred miles off road (and too many of those washboard), so far I can attest to how well made these bags are made. They've baked in the sun, been from 300 feet below sea level to 7500 feet in a day, tossed hard and rattled extensively without spilling a drop. I keep them rolled up until the last fill up before heading out on the trail and then pull them out, fill them up, and tie them down on my roof basket. They’re easy to fill up and with multiple handles, easy to move up and down off the roof. Giant Loop sells a spout that goes on easy and tight. With huge handles on the top and sides, fill up is easy. The daisy chain loops provide a variety of attachment points and I used two of the Perfect Bungee adjust-a-strap to lash them down. Once they’re drained, I roll them up and toss them back into my compressor box. Throwing this out there as another option to keep your gas hungry beasts fed!

IMG_1810.jpeg
IMG_2039.jpeg
IMG_2043.jpeg

Interesting concept, I can see some situations where these might work, but I like to siphon from Scepters on my rear carrier or roof rack (depending on the truck) into the gas tank, and these don't seem like they would lend themselves well to siphoning.

Last edited:
Interesting concept, I can see some situations where these might work, but I like to siphon from Scepters my rear carrier or roof rack (depending on the truck) into the gas tank, and these don't seem like they would lend themselves well to siphoning.
For years I had Scepter cans in my 4x4 Labs rack on the cargo area wheel well. Did exactly what you do - open the slider of the 80 and siphon off the can and then take it out to empty the rest from the lightened can. What is nice about these bags is they are light , easy to lift and eeasy to move so no neeed to siphon. Just another option - especially for us non-swingout heretics. ;)

"The Giant Loop® Gas Bag™ is intended only for the temporary transport of liquid hydrocarbons for racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events only. The Gas Bag is not a portable or long-term fuel storage container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies."

So hide these from park rangers and highway patrol? That was the first thing I was looking for. Neat concept though.

These are awesome, thank you for the review and for making me aware! Is that a yakima skinny basket? Thanks!
It is the Skinny Warrior. After running through just about every configuration of rack - from Yakima to Con Ferr to ARB - I'm now back to Yakima with some configuration of the Skinny Warrior, Rocketbox, or board pads on any trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom