GGM Bolt-on Tire Carrier Installed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to post some pictures and observations of my GGM tire carrier install I completed this weekend. Original thread below in the Vendors' section if you haven't seen this new product yet. This is the first step to someday installing a sub-tank.

This tire carirer is awesome. I'm parked next to my neighbor's GX460, which is about the same length as my 80... so you can see how this fits in a standard parking spot. My truck is on 255/85/r16 skinnies and OME "medium" rear springs. My spare is also a 255. This came out great - my pictures, while fresh from the coin car wash, don't do it justice. But with 4:30pm sunset in Denver, it's the best I could do today. Some notes and observations:

-I elected to spray paint rather than powder coat due to the time I had available to install. Parts arrived oil-free and painting was easy. I used Dura-Coat primer and Dura-coat wheel paint, gloss black. Time will tell how the UV fade affects this.

-Unlike a similar product that is not currently manufacturered, the tire sits at an angle instead of parallel to the ground. Everybody has their own opinion here it seems.

-Keep in mind this carrier allows up to a 37" tire, per GGM website. The price you pay for compatibility with bigger tires is my 255s do look a little small. But it kind of evokes the look of the factory JDM carrier to me. From the few pictures I could find, the 35" tires seems to really fill things out aestetically (see Page 7, Post 139 of the Vendor's thread, above) but I'm happy with the result and I love my 255s!

-This is compatible with my no-name, non-factory hitch. The GGM spindle carrier sandwhiches between the hitch and the frame. It replaces the hitch spacers. My hitch spacers were slightly thicker than the 1/4" steel plate used on the spindle carrier, but one washer per bolt solved that prorblem.

-I did not have to drop the hitch to install this, but I did break a frame nut while removing one of the bolts at the hitch (where the factory tow-hook would be). Luckily, you can easily get to the nut from the back of the frame (attached picture). A M12x1.25 bolt & nut, and I am back in business.

-The only thing not included were 12mm X 1.50 lug nuts.

-It sounds like a license plate mount is in the works. I picked this up from Amazon and it did not require any modification. It will do for now:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3FC3PS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

-You can still see the taillights, which I LOVE!!

IMG-7391.jpg
IMG-7388.JPG
IMG-7390.JPG
IMG-7394.jpg

IMG-7395.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom