General Maintenance Tools (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, proud new owner of a '94 FZJ80 and excited to be here! Our truck needs a lot of love and i'm planning as doing as much of the work as i can within reason. I've got a relatively basic toolset acquired through working on various other cars and bikes, but i was curious to know if there were any more obscure tools that might be worth picking up. Sorry if this isn't the right place for this or if it's already listed out somewhere else, i'm new! Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Combination front and rear wheel bearing wrench. You can make it yourself from a front bearing nut wrench with a hack saw and a file.

A flat bar, 18-24" long x 3/4 wide and 1/8 to 1/4" thick. At one end round it over across the 3/4 width with a full radius. In the middle of the radius drill a hole a 10mm nut will pass through. This the holding bar required for removing and re-torqueing the fan hub nuts to the water pump.

A 2# brass hammer.

A long, 24" or better, 3/8" drive extension. First time you take off the intake plenum, you'll no longer question why.

A collapsing three jaw oil filter wrench that attaches to a ratchet. Stockton Universal Oil Filter Wrench - Cycle Gear - https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-universal-oil-filter-wrench?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=CGD-PLA-Stockton%20Tools-Products&utm_id=bing_313133640_1225955558783697_76622262293885_pla-4580221854490968_c&utm_term=4580221854490968&msclkid=3cf6a24658ef129b91f5c795f6f865a9&sku_id=1124086

6 ton jack stands, not that the truck is that heavy, but they have better reach for a lifted rig.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommended tools.

Off the top of my head for basic maintenance that you will use more than once:

-Wheel bearing socket
-fish scale (for dialing in bearing preload)
-grease gun (for driveshafts, u-joints and birfs)
-transfer pump (just a cheap harbor freight pump for diffs and t-case fluid refills)

You can tear most of the vehicle down with the factory tool kit. :)

A set of JIS screwdrivers; flex head 1/4" + 3/8" ratchet wrench with an assortment of extensions; 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm sockets and combination wrenches; a set of pliers; timing light and jumper wire will cover a ton of tasks on this vehicle. There is some oddball stuff you'll acquire over time 24mm socket for diffs, a hub socket, ball joint remover, seal removers and drivers - none of which you need up front unless you have that job lined up.

The nicest 3/8 flex head ratchet and metric deep sockets you can afford. You will use it all of the time so it's worth spending more.

I bought one of these 10 years ago and it has been great. The flex head comes in very handy.

Williams B-52EHFB 3/8-Inch Drive Flex Enclosed Head Ratchet​

Also a decent multimeter, people always forget those in their toolkit.

Thank you all for the suggestions! my life is getting more and more expensive each day it would seem. All worth it for seeing that beauty in the driveway if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom