Baselining and Maintenance Intervals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 80 Series and I am in the process of baselining it. I have two questions:

Question 1: Does anyone have a list of recommended items to check, proactively replace or service or test? I want to to make sure I am as complete as possible while doing the baselining

Question 2: I have the owners manual and it has the maintenance intervals for basic items. Is there an extensive list of maintenance intervals for this vehicle or something that gives an idea on when a person should be looking to service items not listed in the owners manual?

You need to get a factory service manual. That should be the very 1st step in baselining your rig.

The 2nd step in your baselining should be learning how to search this forum because everything you will need to know has already been posted.

This is a great opportunity to get 2 birds stoned with 1 bush because there are posts in this forum that will give you free pdf's of the factory service manual.

My favorite way to search is to skip the ih8mud search function and use Google instead.

Example:

Goodluck

I already purchased factory service manuals. I also downloaded saved and printed the manuals on this forum. Those two items were literally my first step in this process.

I don’t see where my two questions are answered in either place.

I already purchased factory service manuals. I also downloaded saved and printed the manuals on this forum. Those two items were literally my first step in this process.

I don’t see where my two questions are answered

Question 1: yes, search and you will find many lists and examples of recommended items to check, proactively replace or service or test.

Example: Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/compiled-80-series-suspension-component-spec-thread-shocks-coils-more.1026595/

Question 2: The fsm should have a more advanced list of service intervals than the owners manual.

Fantastic!! Thank you so much.

Baselining comes down to: if it rubber, liquid or grease, change it.

I have a '97 80 Series and I am in the process of baselining it. I have two questions:

Question 1: Does anyone have a list of recommended items to check, proactively replace or service or test? I want to to make sure I am as complete as possible while doing the baselining

Question 2: I have the owners manual and it has the maintenance intervals for basic items. Is there an extensive list of maintenance intervals for this vehicle or something that gives an idea on when a person should be looking to service items not listed in the owners manual?

Its a 25 year old vehicle

Unless you have service records from PO showing when a particular service was performed/part replaced you should treat it as if nothing has been done/its been neglected since new.

Send off oil sample to blackstone for analysis

Change all fluids/filters for everything.....

Check/inspect all steering and brake components/lines/etc and replace as needed......and flush the old brake fluid/replace with new.

Consider doing front and rear axles/steering knuckles.....seals/bearings are a couple hundred dollars.....not a difficult job, just takes time/persistence.

Check/clear breathers for diff's and rest of driveline (if it has a breather)

Anything plastic/rubber in the engine compartment should be suspect and consider replacement

Welcome to the family!

I've had mine for about seven years but the summer of 2022 was when I finally BEGAN BASELINING my 1997.

Ok, so...the extensive list...I haven't found one. BUT, I search MUD like an overzealous religious nut looking for meaning in scripture. MUD is your bible...it really is. Anything you can think of, do a search. You'll find tons of info. And even things you didn't know you were looking for. But an exhaustive list of intervals...? Not that I'm personally aware of. If there is, it'll probably be in the FSM

For me, tires were first as the previous were dangerously bad. Then the entire cooling system was redone...along the way, the electrical system was corrected, ignition system, new oil/filter (send a sample to blackstone after your first oil change so you know if you have a HG issue that might be pending)...Change out everything that's rubber and grease everything and change everything to OEM, if you can. It'll save you a lot of heartache.

Understand these are OVERBUILT; there's a reason why a PHH will last, in some cases, 200k miles or more (Mine was changed at 199K miles along with the fuel filter and ujoints). If it's bulging, change it ASAP. There are plenty of links in the forum on changing the PHH.

In my opinion, begin with the cooling system...in my opinion (again), that's the most important area to baseline...I began with the heater control valve because it's just as important as the PHH...if yours is yellowing, you need to change it.

New everything if you can...all hoses, heater control valve, PHH, radiator, water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch. Perform a full block flush if you can; RockAuto had the AISIN parts at a helluva good price. Go OEM on spark plug wires (My opinion).

Partsouq and ToyotaPartsDeal are your friend...at least they are for me. Many complain about the latter. I've never had a problem.
Get to know Wits' End and @cruiseroutfit for parts...there are so many people on this forum that will help, but you have to do some legwork first and search.

Once everything is baselined...then begin to build.
Build to what YOU want and what YOU want to do.

Take a look at this article: SHOULD I BUY AN 80 - COST OF OWNERSHIP - It'll help.

👍 :cool: 👍

I have started to work on a lot of the issues listed so far. What is the issue with the fan clutch? Does it fail regularly? I think I read something about replacing it with one marked in blue or something.

The radiator is plastic? Is it better to upgrade to an aftermarket?

Oem is plastic but it's still a good radiator, just replace it with new oem and drive it another 25 years.

I replaced mine with a Denso via RockAuto.
There’s a bunch of threads debating radiators - OEM is great but you’ll pay a premium but you’ll get 25-30 years out of it.

For the record, mine was fine…I changed it out as preventative maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom