Gasket between step and body? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
Removed the step, lots of debris between it and the body. Wondering about using a gasket between them. What's everyone doing
to protect the paint?

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of doing the same sort of thing. Perhaps other members will share their thoughts as well.

In all my years around 40 series I have never seen any type of gasket used between the step and rocket panel. Think if I did anything it would be to use clear tape similar what Toyota started using on the front edge the hood and now other areas like the bottom of the rockers to protect from small stones being thrown up. But I would probably just be sure both surfaces are smooth and apply the paint extra heavy where to two meet. Same with the front edge of step against the fender. Using a thick gasket would use longer bolts and use a second nut to prevent the bolts from working loose with the flex between the two which Toyota did not intend to be there.

I masked off the surrounding bodywork and sprayed on rubberized undercoating to both surfaces. That was in 2006, and it’s still the same as that day.

I bought a rubber mud flap at a truck stop and cut pieces out of that. There are/were several thicknesses that I was able to cut from the flap. The thin portion of the flap was perfect for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom