Gas tank building excessive pressure & fuel smell. Dangerous for sure! Why does this happen? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does everyone with this fuel issue have aftermarket skids? Are the skids allowing heat to build up around the fuel lines…?
I only had my front asfir skid on all my others were off at the time of hisssssssing.

I only had my front asfir skid on all my others were off at the time of hisssssssing.
What was ambient temp at previous fillup and fillup with hissing?

So what you experienced is "normal"

I would think that the Mr. T swarm of engineers would have experienced this during testing in Desth Valley or the Middle East. Yet they did nothing to abate the issue any further than was was finalized in the production.

Honestly, is this mountainizing a molehill perhaps?

Edit: it's been 20+ years and no safety recall or TSB?

Do the 200s do the same thing? Any recall or TSBs?

Jerry aren't you fully submerged yet in Pensecola? Did you and your rig get flooded out?

No power, hour long gas lines. Siphoned nylon tube stuck in fuel neck. Estimated 6 days to power. I'm abusing my LC.
And yet still, no boiling. An underestimated storm for sure.
How many things can you run on a 8000 watt surge.

No power, hour long gas lines. Siphoned nylon tube stuck in fuel neck. Estimated 6 days to power. I'm abusing my LC.
And yet still, no boiling. An underestimated storm for sure.
How many things can you run on a 8000 watt surge.

Stay safe and I hope things improve for you! My brother and fam are out in Gulf Breeze working through the mess.

I had a bad one recently. Driving for 2 hours in 99 degree temps at about 5k altitude. Got home and heard venting and could see tons of fumes/spillage from the door. Cracked the cap and it started venting very loudly. Pulled the cap entirely off and it loudly vented for the next 5-10 min. That led me to believe the fuel in the tank was actively boiling.

I had a bad one recently. Driving for 2 hours in 99 degree temps at about 5k altitude. Got home and heard venting and could see tons of fumes/spillage from the door. Cracked the cap and it started venting very loudly. Pulled the cap entirely off and it loudly vented for the next 5-10 min. That led me to believe the fuel in the tank was actively boiling.
My understanding was when you pull the cap it lowers the pressure and then the fuel boils vs. if it is sealed with higher pressure the boiling point is higher? So don't open the cap is what my take was after I had done the same thing.

All should be next to ambient....1 ATA close to... pressure past the regulator. It boils there and then overcomes any and all relief measures.
Fix that and you're done.

All should be next to ambient....1 ATA close to... pressure past the regulator. It boils there and then overcomes any and all relief measures.
Fix that and you're done.
So you're saying the fuel boils in the return line just past the FPR due to the drop in pressure?

that's the logical explanation. Honestly I don't see how it could be anywhere else. There's residual past the plunger but it's open ended to the tank on the return, relatively. The supply is pressurized the whole travel length. HIghest rail temp I've seen is 159°F. I know there are some out there with higher than that even. I don't know how hot is too hot to start at the fuel rail. But it's higher than that.
I see incoming fuel to the rail at mostly 110° or less.

Do you know your coolant temp and transmission temps while this happened?

Same thing happened to me in hot weather 90-100 degree weather climbing from 1k to 8k and very slowly at times due to sharp turn inclines, but my coolant reached 220 and transmission 230 so was running hot which caused gas to boil. Truck gauges never moved, i used bluetooth obd to monitor with torque pro.

Ran a similar elevation gain with a fresh timing belt, fan bracket and fan clutch in 90 degree weather.. and truck stayed cool never saw over 200 coolant, 160 trans...

I'm sure without the maitanance i would have been boiling.

that's the logical explanation. Honestly I don't see how it could be anywhere else. There's residual past the plunger but it's open ended to the tank on the return, relatively. The supply is pressurized the whole travel length. HIghest rail temp I've seen is 159°F. I know there are some out there with higher than that even. I don't know how hot is too hot to start at the fuel rail. But it's higher than that.
I see incoming fuel to the rail at mostly 110° or less.

For us slow learners....is the return line suppose to be pressurized? Is this a symptom of a failed FPR?

For us slow learners....is the return line suppose to be pressurized? Is this a symptom of a failed FPR?
I had this happen once and have since replaced fpr and the vsv for charcoal canister in engine bay on my 06. Seems most think it's truck running hot and keeping coolant Temps in line and heat shield is the "fix"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom