Gas Pedal STILL sticking! Some pics, anything look outta whack? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A prybar was used to lever the mashed stop bolt mount back up off the floor, then a hammer was used to get the bolt perfectly aligned behind the gas pedal. Sorry, no pics of hammering on customer's vehicle. After the bolt was correctly repositioned, the pedal was mashed to the floor to see how much the bracket would bend. It didn't. I've never seen this piece of metal bent in a FJ60. The only conclusion is that the stop bolt was mechanically bent during a previous repair, in an attempt to get increased throttle pedal travel

With the correct springs installed, the bolt straightened, a new brake pedal cover, this is what the gas pedal looks like now. Problem solved.
DSC07072.jpg

This begs the question, is a 2F fast enough at WOT to even be scary?

A prybar was used to lever the mashed stop bolt mount back up off the floor, then a hammer was used to get the bolt perfectly aligned behind the gas pedal. Sorry, no pics of hammering on customer's vehicle. After the bolt was correctly repositioned, the pedal was mashed to the floor to see how much the bracket would bend. It didn't. I've never seen this piece of metal bent in a FJ60. The only conclusion is that the stop bolt was mechanically bent during a previous repair, in an attempt to get increased throttle pedal travel

With the correct springs installed, the bolt straightened, a new brake pedal cover, this is what the gas pedal looks like now. Problem solved.

Thanks for everything Jim! I am sure my 60 will be great when the Jim C magic is done!
And the above info posted by Jim is why it is worth taking your truck to Jim even if you live a good distance away. All the other shops looked at the truck, and said everything is fine, there is no problem with the gas pedal. It took Jim's trained eyes to realize that the springs were not correct. This problem was making me crazy, and three seperate shops had no clue what to do about it!

Zack

This begs the question, is a 2F fast enough at WOT to even be scary?

Uhhh yup it is! Going down a 40 MPH road with some sharp turns and the FJ60 gas pedal sticks soon before one of the sharp turns. Yup that will wake you up! ANd that time, the pedal stayed stuck for a bit longer...........so it was throw it into neutral and shut off the key. Not a safe truck to drive at all.

Zack

I cant believe that multiple shops missed this. Very few people left these days with attention to the little details.......

not many shops anywhere have a clue about old school stuff, no matter the brand. Land Cruisers are low production odd-ball trucks to start with, so that makes it even harder. I doubt you'll find many toyota dealerships that have a clue about the 40's and 60's...

hell man I rolled up to a dealership in my old 62 and the service manager really told me " we only work on Toyota's here".
not many shops anywhere have a clue about old school stuff, no matter the brand. Land Cruisers are low production odd-ball trucks to start with, so that makes it even harder. I doubt you'll find many toyota dealerships that have a clue about the 40's and 60's...

you find similar issues with most brands and 25+ year old cars/trucks. For one...generally the dealer does not stock the old parts and most are not in inventory and then whatever parts have to come from 2nd sources...etc and the dealers don't like screwing with that and most people don't want to pay the dealer rate to work on their old junk. There are plenty of shops where the old cars/trucks are considered cool but they just are not setup to work on them for the most part.

Holy dead thread reanimator, Batman!

Why?
There is another guy chasing a problem just like mine. Perhaps he should just send his truck to Ohio like I did. How are things in the shop these days Jim?

Zack

My linkage problem doesn't cause any WOT problem, it just requires the tap of the pedal to drop the idle speed. I need to take everything apart and see how many holes are oversize after 36 years. I can see that the bracket on the firewall allows the rod going to the carburetor bracket to move around a lot and that is what is hanging up. I see on the parts diagram there is no bushing so the rod has just worn the bracket. Most of the parts are listed as NLA so I will take it all apart to see what needs to be re-made. Another option would be to convert to a cable linkage like my '70 had. I run the "rice cooker" air cleaner of the older models instead of the "frying pan" that came on the '79 so it shouldn't be any big deal. Just need to make a bracket for the cable end at the carburetor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom