Gas Pedal STILL sticking! Some pics, anything look outta whack? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you checked to see if the carpet (new by the PO as you said) is holding the pedal when things stick?

might be one thing that you haven't checked yet...

Yes, no carpet to speak of. This situation is so annoying.

Zack

yes that is exactly what i am talking about. check the vacuum lines going into the front of the carb and make sure they are in the right spot. if they get switched it can cause your problem. in my experience
Which two lines are you speaking of?

Did you try installing that second spring that kevinmrowland mentioned? Mine sticks sometimes, but not at WOT and this spring addition is on my list of things to do. That list is so long, *sigh*.

Wow, I missed that post.
Here is a pic from a believed '81 carb; as you can see even it has the hole I think Kevinmrowland is speaking of...I'm going to try drilling a hole somewhere in the red circle
carb.jpg

That seems to be exactly what he's describing. As I said, I haven't done it yet so I can't confirm.

Hmmm...I forgot to take a pic when I was finished, but I'll remember to get it next time I'm in their(quite often).
Yes, I used another stock spring from a spare carb I had. I used the spring that is vertical on the back of the carb; the one that pulls the secondary closed. If I could do it again, I might move the hole I drilled farther back. By having the spring farther up, I think it might be slightly chafing the fuel cut solenoid wires....

Update: Three shops have attempted to fix this problem, and not one has been successful! So I guess I have just been dealing with it.

Zack

That is really screwed up. (wow Jim, way to be diplomatic.)

Notice that the wrong spring is being used to return the AP lever. It is much stronger than the stock spring. As a result the AP overtravel spring is compressing and lifting the AP plunger up too high.

This will reduce AP effectiveness because the AP plunger is lifted above the overflow port, and because the AP may not travel as far because the overtravel spring may just compress further, rather than pushing up on the rocker.

There is no reason for this additional spring when there are at least 3 stock springs already acting as throttle return springs.

I think the problem is that the stock springs that return the lever get worn out and do not return the linkage properly, so this would fix the problem.

What spring would be the proper spring for that location?

I think the problem is that the stock springs that return the lever get worn out and do not return the linkage properly, so this would fix the problem.
The stock return springs are very lightly loaded. They do not seem to wear out. I have only seen problems w/ ones that had obvious environmental problems i.e. they had been on fire or seriously rusted.

If the two linkage springs are suspected (one above pedal, one on carb arm) they can still be purchased new from Toyota for relatively cheap.

What spring would be the proper spring for that location?
The stock spring used on the AP arm in 1977-78 models. Dunno if it still available new, as they rarely fail and are often missing, since they are not really necessary. Not sure why the Cruiser gods chose to install that spring for a few years and then stopped. Nothing else in the linkage system appears to have changed in that timeframe.:meh:

I mean maybe the sticking point is not a problem in the linkage, but the throttle itself (ie, in the carburetor) that is sticking open and holding the accelerator down with it.

I had this problem on my Isuzu truck and it was the carb itself, not the linkage.:bounce:

How to fix the throttle linkage

Zack brought the truck out to the shop to get this throttle fixed once & for all. Investigating the customer complaint initially turned up nothing very wrong. The truck drove OK, the pedal seemed to respond smoothly. But at WOT, the pedal could be felt to 'snap' just as it hit the floor. And after it snapped, when pressure was taken off the pedal, it felt a little reluctant to return from the floor, until it 'unsnapped' and then would follow the operator's foot as normal. IOW, there was no noticeable problem w/ the throttle for 99% of travel. The only unusual behavior was right at 100% travel.

Follow along as we get things corrected.
In this pic: wrong throttle arm return spring and the linkage is absolutely coated with wheel bearing grease.

attachment.php

In the 2 pics below: The wrong homemade spring above the correct throttle return spring. Note that the wrong spring is substantially longer, so it has hardly any return action when installed.

Beneath that is the correct and the wrong homemade pedal return spring. Note that it too is substantially longer, giving less return force when installed.
DSC07070.jpg
DSC07071.jpg

That left the problem of the pedal catching right at the floor. There was no problem w/ the carb, so must be the pedal.

Oh yes, it is the pedal, or more accurately, the pedal stop bolt.

The below pics:
A good pedal stop bolt

The stop bolt in Zack's truck

And the pedal pushed to the floor and catching under the head of the bolt.
DSC07066.jpg
DSC07063.jpg
DSC07064.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom