Gas Pedal STILL sticking! Some pics, anything look outta whack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

return spring

I'm sorry if this is a stupid response but did you replace the accelerator pedal return spring? I was having a similar problem when I first got my 60 and after going over the linkage several times I realized the PO had replaced a worn return spring with an aftermarket spring that was not strong enough to pull the pedal back all the way. a buck later, problem solved.

Ok, round two, or three is it?

Do this and it will be fixed:
(I posted this in the last thread about your carb)

And I didn't/don't want to mess with a safety issue such as this, I would rather leave it to the pro's who can't figure it out.

Zack

As far as the linkage goes, have you checked that all rotating parts are perpendicular to each other? What I mean is I had the linkage in my 40 bent up when the driveline was being moved around trying to remove the tcase from the tranny w/o dropping the tranny/transfer. Had to drop tranny anyway, but later found out the linkage got all flumoxed up and sticky. Had to disassemble linkage and bend all parts square and straight again.

Zack,
Thing #1:
In picture #1, there is supposed to be a return spring on the top arm of the gas pedal. I don't see it in the pic, but it might be just outside the frame. Either way, if you look at the pedal, there should be a spring from top arm to a tab on the firewall. The pedal spring is the strongest one (of the three) in the system. It is still available new from Toyota.

Thing #2:
There are many vac hoses routed incorrectly in the few hose photos that are very visible. Not saying that the vac hose misrouting is causing the WOT problem, but if there are known defects in the induction system, they should be dealt with first thing. Then if symptoms persist, diagnosis can proceed.

zack, i snapped this at lunch. here's the spring JimC is talking about.
60 pedal.jpg

Just FYI, the throttle linkage that goes horizontally across from the top of the pedal link to the carb link (in foreground of pic below) can be intstalled backwards. One arm is shorter than the other and effectively kills your ability to use the secondary on the carb becasue it wont open the throttle enough. Just in case you pull it, make sure it goes back on the right way.

attachment.php

zack, i snapped this at lunch. here's the spring JimC is talking about.

Ok, well there is ONE problem there, as that spring is MISSING on my truck! Thanks for the pic! Forgive me for being dumb, however one end of the spring goes on the pedal and the other end?

Also could that be the ENTIRE cause of my problem?

Thanks,
Zack

Ok, well there is ONE problem there, as that spring is MISSING on my truck! Thanks for the pic! Forgive me for being dumb, however one end of the spring goes on the pedal and the other end?
Connects to a tab on the firewall. Get the spring and then you can find the little hook on the firewall.

Also could that be the ENTIRE cause of my problem?
When the teacher said there are no dumb questions...:rolleyes:

The throttle is sticking. The largest return spring of the three in the system is missing.
Replace the spring and fix the vac, PCV and PB hoses, then get back to us.

STILL sticking. I don't drive the 60 much, but when I do it usually sticks at some point during the drive. Again when it sticks, all you have to do to get it to "unstick" is tap the pedal all the way too the floor. I am going to try shooting some barb cleaner down the throat of the carb to see if that cleans up anything. This problem makes the 60 unsafe to drive!

Zack

is it really sticking? or is it revving up when you let off the gas. mine does this when my vacuum lines on the front of the carb are switched up. i have to tap or lift the pedal with my foot to bring it back down. like it takes off full throttle. dangerous. so check the vac lines and make sure they are right

is it really sticking? or is it revving up when you let off the gas. mine does this when my vacuum lines on the front of the carb are switched up. i have to tap or lift the pedal with my foot to bring it back down. like it takes off full throttle. dangerous. so check the vac lines and make sure they are right

I am not sure exactly what you are saying. When it sticks, it is WOT. A few times I didn't realize that it was stuck, and I went to shift and I almost blew the engine!

Zack

yes that is exactly what i am talking about. check the vacuum lines going into the front of the carb and make sure they are in the right spot. if they get switched it can cause your problem. in my experience

yes that is exactly what i am talking about. check the vacuum lines going into the front of the carb and make sure they are in the right spot. if they get switched it can cause your problem. in my experience

I wonder how the vacc lines would cause this issue?

Zack

me too

Have you checked to see if the carpet (new by the PO as you said) is holding the pedal when things stick?

might be one thing that you haven't checked yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom