Gas coming out of the filler neck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1990 fj62, just got it and filled it with gas. It had a heavy gas smell inside the cab after that. I also noticed gas coming out of the side from under the gas filler door, so I bought a new cap and it stopped coming out, but I still had a strong gas smell. Ran a tank through it and refilled. I now have gas coming out from behind the rear quarter, and not the gas cap. The guy I bought it from failed to tell me it had been wrecked on that side, (I won't get into that) so I'm woundering if there is damage to the filler neck. It looks okay, but maybe something inside is not right? Would appreciate any insight.

While you're at it, check to see if the gas tank recall has been done on your 62.

Last week I filled up and the gas pump's auto cutoff did not work, way overfilled. Smelled like hell inside my rig until I burned some gas out of it (which didn't take long):rolleyes:

recalls

How would I know if the recall was done?

give your local toyota dealer your vin number and they can check if your tank has been replaced, they will replace it also at no charge. Too, i had the wrong gas cap on my cruiser and it leaked too, until i busted all of the gasket stuff off the underside of the cap. That bad cap also created a vapor lock, causing my ride to act like it was out of or running out of gas. It was a pain. good luck with yours!

The filler neck is attached to the tank via a rubber section of tubing after it passes out of the rear fender. It is clearly sisible from beneath the rig and from the inside with the interior panel removed. I had to reseal mine to keep dirt and crud out of the fender, but it never leaked fuel.

Well I swapped the hoses on the charcoal container, and I'm not getting a heavy fuel smell now. There's still a smell but I think it's from the overflow from before. The fuel is not spilling out anymore either. Not sure if flipping the hoses solved that problem but hope so. Thanks for the imput.

I had the same problem a year ago. Flipped the charcoal canister hoses on top and problem solved. After that I got the new gas tank installed by the dealer. Toyota has a recall lookup site. Just google "Toyota recall lookup" and you will find it. Enter your VIN and you may find out all kinds of stuff. Mine also got free seat belts in the back. 85 FJ60. Be aware that for some crazy reason the dealer uses a different VIN look up site. My truck was too old so they call Toyota US headquarters and got it figured out.

I had a similar problem, I opened up the interior quarter panel and the tank was rusted where the hoses attached. We were able to cut off the rusted sections (manually mind you) and put new hoses on, no more leaking gas inside.

Well I swapped the hoses on the charcoal container, and I'm not getting a heavy fuel smell now. There's still a smell but I think it's from the overflow from before. The fuel is not spilling out anymore either. Not sure if flipping the hoses solved that problem but hope so. Thanks for the imput.

Try some febreze inside the kick panels, worked for me.

Found another issue. There is a black plastic part inside the rear quarter panel where the filler neck is, it has five hoses running into it. There's a small one which is the first one closest to the filler neck and up high on the part, then there are 4 more on the lower part on this plastic thing. The one closest to the filler neck on the bottom is allowing gas to seep out. Any ideas?

Found another issue. There is a black plastic part inside the rear quarter panel where the filler neck is, it has five hoses running into it. There's a small one which is the first one closest to the filler neck and up high on the part, then there are 4 more on the lower part on this plastic thing. The one closest to the filler neck on the bottom is allowing gas to seep out. Any ideas?

that is the plastic fuel separator. I have a used 1 if you are interested in changing it out.
send me a pm if you're interested.

thank you brian

that is the plastic fuel separator. I have a used 1 if you are interested in changing it out.
send me a pm if you're interested.

thank you brian
I took it off and blew air through it, it seemed to be functioning properly. I'm wondering if it was just a loose connection? It has not leaked since.

Hello I bought my 1981 FJ60 for 2500 and I started working on It today.. I filled her (or he) not sure yet with 47 dollars worth at 2.61 a gallon...the gas started dripping from the gas cap... after getting in this chat I immediately disconnected the charcoal hoses and blew on them... the leak stopped and hasn’t started back again... soooo do I need to clean canister up? Or what?

Also mine shows low oil pressure all the time... but where is the oil pressure unit on engine... all the manual for the 2f shows is the oil pump lunricating system... btw anyone with another FJ near Deming or las cruces nm???!

The owners manual recommends not filling the tank to the brim - so try that. The vapors expand inside the tank and when the fuel is filled to the brim, the vapor pressure pushes liquid gas out the fill pipe.
The oil pressure sender is sorta below the oil filter. It's a round thing with a wire connected to it.

B1B07D23-B4F8-4BE6-B348-1D93F459B083.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom