Garage Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Go with a forced air natural gas unit! Gas is cheap power can get pricey

I’ve looking at these for my garage. Although, I haven’t gone to the trouble figuring out the cost. My goal would be to keep the garage at around 45 degrees during the winter. It would cost to much for me to run a gas line to the garage. Plus radiant is way more comfortable and rebounds way quicker.

Enerjoy, infrared, radiant heat, yoga heat, heat panel, save

The thing with radiant is standing under it will melt your head off along with storing anything close. It doesnt circulate heat very well at all.

These systems are designed for in house use. I wouldn’t think they would burn your head off like the out door panels you see at bars and restaurants. But then again, I really don’t know. I did read that you can touch them so they aren’t running too hot.

have a look at a ‘mini split’ air source heat pump. The Mitsubishi ‘Hyper heat’ units are still more ‘power’ efficient than any resistant heat source down to about -13f ... and they are excellent dehumidifiers/ ac during the summer

Pick up a used house furnace that’s capable of burning sideways and getting replaced.

Cost me about $100 for gas line, fittings and valves. $70 in sheet metal parts and a good neighbor who did furnace/mechanical work for 40 years who told me I’d be crazy to buy an expensive “garage heater”

The furnace was a freebie that was headed for the scrap pile... I waited for a year for a good candidate though.

0A01C35B-ADD9-4126-953A-D23E75A72554.jpeg

Last edited:
Pick up a used house furnace that’s capable of burning sideways and getting replaced. [SNIP]
I waited for a year for a good candidate though.

I'm looking for options to heat the shop this winter and that looks like a good option. Is there a reason for the horizontal installation other than space? Any other considerations on what makes a good candidate?

Space mostly and it pulls cleaner air in a shop environment I would think being close to the ceiling.

Thank you for the reply. I have a pallet rack setup with some extra space, so a vertical unit would fit in there and still not pull from too close to the floor. Was it just the horizontal orientation that kept you looking - or any other advice on a "good candidate" for use?

i have been using an old oil furnace i picked up for 25 bucks for years feed it off a 5 gallon can .its in a building next to the garage so we can still do body work without fire

How long does the 5-gallon can last? I'm debating options and one consideration is cost vs. ease of use. Electric is easy enough to install and use, but costly. Mini-split would be more efficient, but costly to install. I could run a gas line down to the shop from the house, but that's a bit complex. A LP gas cylinder or fuel oil would be relatively easy to fill, but could need filling often. Decisions, decisions...

Haha, 2 yr old thread, but yes I have this heater from Northern on a sale.

It works okay but yeah it's an elec hog. Maybe a scosh small for the space I'm heating too.
Screenshot_20200114-091725.png
Screenshot_20200114-091751.png
Screenshot_20200114-091755.png

I'd.prefer a forced air gas one but $150 vs $1200. 😕

It'll heat my twin garage from 34 to 54 deg in a couple hours, so I turn it on a while before I go out there.
My neighbor scored the one below 50 years ago and I'd rather ultimately have something along those
lines....
IMG_20200109_101106.jpg

Last edited:
I installed this in my shop last year. It’s the 7,500-10,000 watt electric heater from Northern. It works very well and I do the same as mentioned above. I let it run about an hour before I get out in the shop and it’s a warm 60-65 when it’s in the 30’s to 40’s outside. I have a fully insulated shop too.
837B9580-45BB-4F3E-847F-EF66BFB98822.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom