gander mountain going out of business sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
I headed to Gander Mountain today in Charlottesville VA. They are advertising a going out of business sale on TV and on the internet. I thought I might pick up some camping supplies cheap. I realized right away that there was NO big sale going on when I saw several people leaving the store empty handed. This even though the parking lot was pretty full. All camping equipment was marked 10 percent off regular price. In other words it is more expensive than walmart, costco etc etc. Other areas of the store had 15 percent off. Still NO deal. Big signs out front saying "sales 10 to 30 percent off" I saw very little for 30 percent off. I wonder how low will they mark their stuff before they are bought out. Very disappointing, I too left empty handed.

I went to one today as well. Was very disappointed. I found several items marked up from the original price.

For example, a pair of waders normally 79.99, marked up to 99.99. Then with a 20% off sign. The 99.99 sticker was placed on top of the 79.99 sticker.

As the wife and I were walking to the car, empty handed, another shopper said he saw some fishing rods the same way. They were cheaper at Wal-Mart regular price.

Very disappointed to see a business do crap like that.

I bought a cheapo plastic pistol case Saturday for 10% off of $12. I was there anyway and figured it was worth it/convenient. Went to Dick's today and their normal price on the same thing, marked Flambeau instead of GM, is $6.99. I used to like the GM house brand of clothing (at least the shirts) because they were very similar to Columbia and fit me well but were much more affordable and usually on sale. Turns out Academy Sports house brand, Magellan, is very similar with way more options and 20% or more less expensive than the GM brand prices.

One of our local GM's had Honda generators in stock on Saturday but prices had been removed. There was a sign stating "All Electronics 20% Off" but no employee could tell me how much one was. They were all gone 2 days later. Yeti's are still there but are also conveniently unmarked, while their house brand coolers seems to have had a price increase.

The insanity level of the shoppers was nuts. Everybody was buying everything like it was bread and milk after the weatherman says "wintery mix". The wife pointed to the 1lb propane bottles and reminded me that we need some - at 10% off of $4.50 each! $3.49 regular price at Dick's.

I never understood their pricing. I bought a $70 Galco holster for $29 clearance in VA last year. They were regular price at home in CLT. My buddy in FL said they were marked down to $29 there, too. Two weeks later they were back up to $70 in both places.

I picked up a 3 person tent at Gander Mtn in MI for $38.00 and then a 8 person for the oldest son in IN. for $100.00. I didn't think it was a great price but ok and I was already there, I couldn't believe how high the prices were either and I noticed there were no backpacks at either of the stores I was at.

Not surprised to be honest. They opened the one by me about 6 months ago and thought the prices were already insane. Parking lot always seems empty even with the going out of business sale and person spinning the sign on the corner.

Marcus Lemonis bought them out I believe? I purchased several firearms when the "sale" began. Like any flea market what they ask and what they will accept are two different things. Yes, they negotiate.

Standard practice once the liquiditor takes over. The prices get marked up first, then the discounts start. Remember when Circuit City went under? I did see some good pricing on some random firearms at my local store, other stuff was not so good, and some things were over retail with the discount!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom