galvanize body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im having my frame galvanized for 500 bucks! They can do the body for free too because the total weight of everything is under 625 lbs. But will it make the car too heavy or will it make the body warp too badly? The galvi company doesnt know. I dont know what to do because Its a 67 and if I dont like the finished product, Im screwed.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::eek:

I think IH galvanized Scout 80 bodies at one point. I don't think the results of that were ever bad, and I'm sure the technology is better now. Weight was never a concern to IH, but it shouldn't add much weight at all.

You might want to check out South Atlantic galvanizing. I just had my frame dipped and galvanized for 250 dollars from them.

Everything I have read regarding glavanizing a body is that it would not be recommended due to high heat causing warping problems.

Does anybody know how high the heat gets when galvanizing since I had my body powdercoated and the heat from that didn't warp anything, but galvanizing may be higher temp.

How smooth would the finish be with galvanizing?? You may have to go over it with some high build primer to get it smooth.

Check out this site. http://www.southatlanticllc.com/

I had mine done at Traveler's Rest South Carolina site. It was done in November 06. The price I was qouted was $300, but when it was done, the bill came to $250. I talked to April at the Traveler's Rest site.

The zinc bath is 850 degrees.

is 850 degrees hot enough to deform steel though? im not trying to argue but just wondering because the point where it goes red is along the lines of 1000-1200...i think so unless there were points where there was more pressure or stress on the body i.e. being lowered into the bath with cables attached to just 4 points or somthing...im just kinda of speaking my mind so please feel free to tell me im WAY off....

I have no idea, but when I asked the people that I used to galvanize my frame, they stated there would be warpage issues if a body were done.

The only place I could find that would galvanize the frame was South Atlantic. Nobody here is Texas would touch the FRAME due to "possible warping"

The South Atlantic folks told me they had done several Cruiser frames with no difficulty, and my frame came through with no problems.

I can say that the finish probably would not be great for the body as the frame had "drips" of the galvanizing. Also, many of the smaller holes in the frame were filled with the galvanzing, and thus had to be drilled and tapped which might make a frame difficult to do.

My 2 cents is that I would definitely do the frame again, but I would not do the body given what I have seen with the frame and with the advice I was given from the facility that galvanized for me.

However, I am by no means an expert on the subject and if someone wants to try the body I would certainly be interested in the results for future projects. If anyone gets the body done, post it up.:cheers:

Crazy! Here in Atlanta they want $500 for the frame only!

Take a quick trip down to South Atlantic Galvanizing in Claxton, GA. That's where I had mine done in late 2005. Although they focus on industrial stuff, they were very easy to deal with. Cost was $250 simply because it was they're base cost for anything up to 600 lbs.

And you can pick up a fruit cake while you're there!!

Check out https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=108807 for pics.

(hijack on)

Take a quick trip down to South Atlantic Galvanizing in Claxton, GA. That's where I had mine done in late 2005. Although they focus on industrial stuff, they were very easy to deal with. Cost was $250 simply because it was they're base cost for anything up to 600 lbs.

And you can pick up a fruit cake while you're there!!

Check out https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=108807 for pics.

Waorani, Thanks for the info on the 2 stage primer. I used the same primer as you did and then used Eastwood Chassis Black over it. It seems that it did a good job of "sticking". Thanks again.

Here's my post with my galvanized frame

(hijack off)

hey WAORNI, did u do your body or just the frame?

I just had the frame galvanized. I don't know if body panels would handle the heat of hot-dip galvanizing without warping. Also, galvanzing adds some thickness so you could have some fitment issues. It would also fill up all your small holes so any mounting holes may have to be drilled out and retapped. I would think with all the surface area of body panels - hot-dip galvanizing would add some amount of weight too. Maybe there's another galvanizing process (like they use on roofing?) that might be more suitable for panels.

thanks waorni and everyone, Im not gonna do the body, just the frame. Pretty cool that this can even be done here nowadays. Ill post pictures

hot dip galvanizing would warp your body pretty badly, it would sag when they took it out of the tank, I've had 1/2" plate bent because they dropped it a foot when they took it out, last time I had galvanizing quoted it was $.42 a lb, that was at pacific states galvanizing in tualitin OR, also known as Valmont.

The change in costs is probably due to the condition of your metal, they don't want paint in their acid tanks, so they send it out for sandblast first and charge it to you. rust isn't a problem, but dirt and paint will add a few hundred dollars to a job

Land Rover owners galvanize the front bulkhead of the Series and Defenders. They can warp, but a little pounding should straigthen them out. But that is only a small part of the vehicle and they have jigs to help straigthen them.

Hot dipped galvanized is kinda rough for body pannels. The prep work to get the body to look good in paint would be murder.

Kevin

I had my frame dipped. Was also told they couldn't do the body due to warpage.
Most vehicles with galvanized bodies are made with galvanized sheetmetal that is then formed into the body parts, as far as I know. I don't think the assembled body is galvanized.

My Panama replacement tub is made with galvanized steel :) but the welds will be suseptible to rust as welding burns off the zinc....

I'm going to look into having my cowl "E-coated". That may be an option for a whole body, it should get into all the nooks and crannies and gives a pretty durable coating.

What is e-coating? Is that like electrostatic painting like they might do for appliances? How much is something like that? Post pics of it if you do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom