FZJ80 Factory spoiler removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, am new here, and hoping for advice on how to 'properly' remove the factory rear spoiler/fairing on my 97 I just picked up. I've done a ton of searching and haven't found an official thread here, but if I'm just missing it please let me know! It looks fairly simple, just removing the screws and then it should come off, so more of what I'm hoping for is advice on how to properly plug the leftover screw holes (what size screws, should I use silicon, etc) so that water doesn't leak in. Thanks a ton! included a few pics of the new rig for good measure.

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Edit: ^^^This^^^

It's technically a dust deflector; purpose is to direct some air
down and over the rear window to keep it a bit cleaner. It also blows
some of the water off the window when it's raining, so you don't have to
use the rear wiper continuously.

To remove it there are two screws on either end of the deflector/wing,
remove them first. Then you'll see two exposed screws on each mounting
bracket. There is a thrid screw inside the bracket, might need a bright flashlight to see it. You may find water inside that bracket hiding the screws.

So five screws on each side to remove the deflector/wing and brackets.

There will be three nutserts on each side, you can leave those in place
and reinstall the three screws that held the bracket in place. If you remove
the nutserts you'll then have to fill in the holes, sand, prime, paint.

WARNING: IME the mounting bracket screws (if you reinstall them to plug the nutsets) MUST be sealed (I used Permatex thread sealer when I had the wing off to repair rust) otherwise water can get into the rear hatch by working it's way past the threads of the screws.

Personally I like how the deflector keeps the rear window cleaner and blows
some rain drops off so I don't have to use the rear wiper continuously
when it's raining outside. The nutserts for the brackets however tend to be rust magnets.

This, IMHO, is because the area below the brackets is occupied by a thin sheet of foam that holds water and keeps that area wet around the nutserts. Also because the nutserts were punched through the factory paint/sheet metal which makes it more likely it will rust.

When I fixed the rust under the brackets on my 96 80 I did not replace that thin foam sheet, leaving that ~1/16" space between the bottom of the bracket and the sheet metal open so that area would stay dryer. FWIW.

@ZackR Thanks for the replies! I'm removing it because 1) I can't open the hatch all the way with my roof box on top/I've ordered a Gobi rack and it will need to be removed for that as well, and 2) I prefer the look of the vehicle without it.

@Kernal - thank you for the instructions - will the existing screws fit flush to the body in the nutserts?

The nutserts themselves do not fit flush, they sit about 1/16" above
the sheet metal. the orginal screw heads then add another 1/16" maybe.
You could put a dab of the same body color paint on the heads to help conceal them once they're sealed??

You may be able to find a small plug that you could push into the screw holes
along with a sealant. A glass/windshield rated type adhesive/sealant would be another option. I just found it easier to reinstall the original screws using a non-hardening thread sealer (however I put my deflector back on for the reasons mentioned above).

Here's a link to an old thread, pictures tell the story better:
(BTW: that repair seven years later is still holding up well)

The nutserts themselves do not fit flush, they sit about 1/16" above
the sheet metal. the orginal screw heads then add another 1/16" maybe.
You could put a dab of the same body color paint on the heads to help conceal them once they're sealed??

You may be able to find a small plug that you could push into the screw holes
along with a sealant. A glass/windshield rated type adhesive/sealant would be another option. I just found it easier to reinstall the original screws using a non-hardening thread sealer (however I put my deflector back on for the reasons mentioned above).
Ok, got it. Seems like it might not be a bad idea to saw a 1/8" off the end of the existing screws before screwing them back in, so that the screwhead is completely flush with the nutsert. Alternatively, could buy slightly shorter, black screws, which would help with concealing.

Ok, got it. Seems like it might not be a bad idea to saw a 1/8" off the end of the existing screws before screwing them back in, so that the screwhead is completely flush with the nutsert. Alternatively, could buy slightly shorter, black screws, which would help with concealing.
They wont hit anything if you use the original screws, there is nothing behind the nutserts. I took mine off and just installed the stock screws tight with no issues.

To seal them, do not use silicone based products, as silicone attracts moisture and rusts things. Use a polyurethane or a rubber product such as "The Right Stuff" in black in the "Cheez Wiz" can. It's expensive, but it seals very well and resists oils and the elements. Read the labels.

Does anyone know what size bolts are used to attach the deflector and the 2 rubber parts to hold the reflector ? I bought my 80 series a while back and it had the parts in the back with no mounting hardware!

Let me know if the spoiler is for sale. I don't care so much about the mounts but rather the aluminum wing.

Check out the parting out section in Classifieds for the wing and/or the mounting hardware.

Bumping this because I ran into an unexpected issue:

Two of the nutserts are stripped from the body (one I was able to get the screw out of and then seal, the other I couldn't remove the screw) and I'm wondering if anyone has ran into this problem? If so, is there a good solution for sealing it, or should I bring it in to have the screw and nutsert professionally removed and reset? I want to avoid rust at all costs and I'm concerned that's the reason they may be stripped in the first place. Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Anyone know the thread pitch and size for the nutserts on the hatch?

@ElPolloBlanco , I had the screws accessable in the garage and measured them. The screw which is M5. x 0.8mm so would guess the nutsert would be the same.

Can anyone measure the dimensions of where the Factory Nutserts are installed. Trying to mount one on my 1994 that did not have one installed from factory.

I have it mocked up to be centered vertically (betweein window trim and the End of the panel) and Equidistant from the center line (rear windshield washer nozzle)

Are you drilling holes for nutserts, or are you using something
like 3M double sided tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom