FZJ80 Brake and Rotor Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
From the frontlines of Newb Central...

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone on Mud and Clay on Youtube:
Land Cruiser Front Brake replacement
80S Land Cruiser Rear Brakes

I had never so much as laid eyes on the inner workings of the brake system before, and I was able to replace my rotors with Slee's offerings (Slee - Drivetrain - Brake Parts).

My rig stops noticeably better, and actually removed a vibration I had noticed on the highway, where I believe my bearings were not packed well (and the inner spindle nuts were loose).

So, thanks guys... a real testament to the power of crowd-sourced education in car maintenance! :)

That is a great YouTube video. I was refreshing myself on the process and somehow had purged most of it from my memory!
Do you guys think that the hub and wheel could be put back on without a rotor? I am parting out my rig and I have some nice rotors that are still in great shape that I would like to sell. But I need the rig to roll out of my driveway onto a flat bed

Yes, the rotor can be removed from the hub and the hub remounted, You obviously will have no brakes.

I'll share my city driving style, which i think will help make your brakes last much, much longer
... let me know what you all think.

one thing i've come to notice over the year owning my 80, is that the low end torque is significant, even at idle, and thus while applying the brakes, in fact, the truck is still driving fwd with a lot of power to all 4 wheels; (where as most heavy vehicles apply the majority of the braking power to the front brakes, while the front wheels are free wheeling, as they aren't full-time 4WD).

the 80 thus makes coming to a stop much harder on your brakes. "80's eat brakes":smokin:
- especially during city driving.

.. thus, of late, for city driving, this is my style:
first i'll down shift to O/D off, if traveling above 40 MPH, (60KM/h)
next I shift down to 2nd gear once below 40(60);
And, as i'm approaching a stop, below 6MPH (10km/h) i shift back passed drive to neutral, and she stops on a dime.

its amazing, and perhaps not to be done during a driving test:ban:
but people in standards vehicles do this all the time on the road.

I would rather replace brake pads several times rather than replacing a transmission. :doh:

I would rather replace brake pads several times rather than replacing a transmission. :doh:

i've read that these transmissions are so solid (especially the a440f);
they even put them into commercial vehicles, like busses, IRRC.

I'm not worried about the transmission, so long as i'm not down shifting into 1st at any speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom