FZJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
What was the first year for middle eastern
FZJ74 ?

Hello,

When did the late model engine -with improved mass airflow sensor, intake manifold and direct ignition- start in 70 Series trucks? 1999 or 2002?

Juan

You coming to the dark side???
Been trying for years, It’s so close to the 74s being eligible for import now I would like to get one of those as they have a coil sprung front axle like the 80 series.
Not sure when they started but they also have a coil pack 1FZ-FE, I'm pretty sure all the GCC Spec 74s have it ? @OGBeno
In the lighter 74 with a 5 speed I think it would be a hoot to drive and be all OEM Toyota.

Now if only @edmond4822 could find me one 😍

Last edited:
Been trying for years, It’s so close to the 74s being eligible for import now I would like to get one of those as they have a coil sprung front axle like the 80 series.
Not sure when they started but they also have a coil pack 1FZ-FE, I'm pretty sure all the GCC Spec 74s have it ? @OGBeno
In the lighter 74 with a 5 speed I think it would be a hoot to drive and be all OEM Toyota.

Honestly not much difference in driving a pre 99 7x with leafs all around or a later one with stiff coils up front and the same rigid leafs in the back . The RJ/LJ/KZJ “Prado” models are the ones with the best comfort and offroad capability.

As you know, I cut my teeth in 80 series rigs. Had several over the years, either on hardcore trails or backroads in Colorado mountains.... so when I took the 73 series out to Ouray last year, the conversation with the wife was... we can take advil every morning and go shorter days as it will be not as nice as the 80 series... Well, I was wrong. Neither of us felt like we were beat up after long days on the trail. We went over Engineer and Mineral Creek in 2 hours and 10 minutes, so that leg especially would have typically beat the heck out of anyone with a bad setup.... we were no different than in the 80.

I have been daily driving the 73 for a few weeks as the weather has been nicer. It is not as smooth as an 80... for sure -- however, it is really not that bad.

I assume the coil front would have more articulation, that would be nice. I had to use my lockers way more than I do with the 80... that was the only real difference I found.

K

Last edited:
I still like the idea of a coil pack 1FZ-FE 5 speed
I like diesels but every time I get behind one on the trail it’s awful and if I take the top off I don’t want to listen to it.
I don’t know the numbers but I think the coil pack 1FZ-FE would have more power the any of the diesel engines offered in the 70 series.
The stiff front coil springs could be changed out to something with a lighter spring rate just like I run on my 80 light spring rate taller free high.
No looking to go all hard core like my 80, more of an overland type rig.
I’m sure a 73 would be great but all the GCC 73s with a 1FZ are carbureted And they weren’t offered in the European market.
In my experience, they’re all hard to find and harder to find a clean one.
Maybe one day !!

Really like your rig @2fpower !

I have heard of lots of people doing Sniper fuel injection on the carb'd 1fz.

That's correct.

As you know, I cut my teeth in 80 series rigs. Had several over the years, either on hardcore trails or backroads in Colorado mountains.... so when I took the 73 series out to Ouray last year, the conversation with the wife was... we can take advil every morning and go shorter days as it will be not as nice as the 80 series... Well, I was wrong. Neither of us felt like we were beat up after long days on the trail. We went over Engineer and Mineral Creek in 2 hours and 10 minutes, so that leg especially would have typically beat the heck out of anyone with a bad setup.... we were no different than in the 80.

I have been daily driving the 73 for a few weeks as the weather has been nicer. It is not as smooth as an 80... for sure -- however, it is really not that bad.

I assume the coil front would have more articulation, that would be nice. I had to use my lockers way more than I do with the 80... that was the only real difference I found.

K
Hello,

In mid wheelbase 70 Series, there are suspension setups and there are suspension setups. Yes, the assumption is that leaf springs all around are harsh. But there are nuances to it.

OEM leaf springs tend to be hard, especially the 10-leaf option. They can also be more expensive than aftermarket options. The options with less leaves -six to eight if I remember correctly- are smoother.

Aftermarket setups vary. Just like OEM's 10 or less leaves options. It is a matter of finding out how heavy your truck is going to ride, and choosing a setup accordingly.

A middle setup, not too stiff, not too soft, is a compromise between a soft ride and the ability to travel with a load. It turns out that middle setups work very well on 73 Series. Yes, it is not like a coil spring truck, but it is confortable enough.

Then there is a detail. Most of us focus on greaseable shackles that we keep pumped full of grease. It is worth keeping the space between leaf spring pumped full of grease as well. It helps. A lot. Ask me how I know. It also helps when the DMV inspection reports "suspension imbalance" (whatever that is) but that is another story.

Regarding the post 1999 coil springs on the front, they provide relief, especially when you have a load of 100 pounds or more on the rear. Here, the grease trick does wonders as well.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

In mid wheelbase 70 Series, there are suspension setups and there are suspension setups. Yes, the assumption is that leaf springs all around are harsh. But there are nuances to it.

OEM leaf springs tend to be hard, especially the 10-leaf option. They can also be more expensive than aftermarket options. The options with less leaves -six to eight if I remember correctly- are smoother.

Aftermarket setups vary. Just like OEM's 10 or less leaves options. It is a matter of finding out how heavy your truck is going to ride, and choosing a setup accordingly.

A middle setup, not too stiff, not too soft, is a compromise between a soft ride and the ability to travel with a load. It turns out that middle setups work very well on 73 Series. Yes, it is not like a coil spring truck, but it is confortable enough.

Then there is a detail. Most of us focus on greaseable shackles that we keep pumped full of grease. It is worth keeping the space between leaf spring pumped full of grease as well. It helps. A lot. Ask me how I know. It also helps when the DMV inspection reports "suspension imbalance" (whatever that is) but that is another story.

Regarding the post 1999 coil springs on the front, they provide relief, especially when you have a load of 100 pounds or more on the rear. Here, the grease trick does wonders as well.

Juan

If it matters... I have the "half price deal" springs and shocks from Ironman. The foam cell shocks.

I am a huge Fox shock fan, so I was suprised how well this setup rode for me.

I’d like to think my 74….BJ74 rides really nice for leaf springs. I honestly believe because the springs are older and well broke in.
I’m debating wether nicer shocks are worth the upgrade price.

Either way, do it! The middies are the best.

I know rhd but cool.
D39D66F5-6DE0-494A-A6E2-A0271674BFC6.jpeg

9DBE9A5C-B668-4262-B998-D79E4CADC871.jpeg

Wow, there are so many variants of the 70s series. It’s hard to keep up.
Excuse my ignorance, but is a BJ74 series a med wheelbase coil Spring front end.
And what years are they.

Wow, there are so many variants of the 70s series. It’s hard to keep up.
Excuse my ignorance, but is a BJ74 series a med wheelbase coil Spring front end.
And what years are they.

BJ74 is just a BJ74 with a factory 13BT turbo diesel. Aside from less than 10 being LHD formthe Paris Dakar race they are all RHD.

Basically the variants are engines and then 99 newer has the coil, smaller front diff.

Not all encompassing but the main heavy duty nonprado units
BJ73 - 3B diesel non turbo , leaf
BJ73 - -VM motorri 5cy turbo POS Avoid unless swap
BJ74 - 13BT turbo diesel leaf
FJ73 - 3F gas leaf
HZJ73 - 1HZ leaf spring
FZJ73 - 1fz leaf
PZJ73 - 1PZ leaf
FZJ74 - 1FZ coil pack, coil spring
HZJ74 - 1HZ , coil spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back