FZJ 80 won't start (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we tried everything. Finally, I installed a button on dash directly wired to starter/ battery. Now every so often, the key does nothing so I push the button and Presto!

11 days and the starting issue is back going to try charging it all night to see if that helps, one thing at a time!

charging won't help if your battery is toast. you could have it tested at napa.

Started right up this morning, im going to swing by one of the auto shops and get my alt and battery tested. Battery shouldn't be older than a year which makes me think my alt isn't charging the battery enough! but if my battery hasn't had enough juice when it wont start right away why would it work after a couple hours or after a few dozen turns of the ignition.

You could have some parasitic drain. have you added any electrical components? I know my CB still consumes power even when off since it has an emergency tone override, if I don't unplug it before letting the old girl sit for a while then the battery will be dead every time.

not that i can think of, CB is always disconnected when not in use. lights and winch wouldnt be draining. but we'll see once i get the battery and alt checked. if its not either then i need to do some searching.

I just went through this for 2 weeks, finally succeeded 2 days ago. Battery test at 2 places as good, new fusable links, new Denso starter, cleaned and test ignition switch, clean and tested neutral safety switch. What doesn't show in the electical FSM....the stupid alarm system.

If yours was like mine, look to see if there is a wiring harness inserted between your ignition switch and the factory plug. If so unplug it and reconnect the ignition switch directly to the factory connector. Tracing down this wiring brought me to a relay tucked in the left footwell. It was rusted completely on the inside. Not sure what it did but it was inline of the ignition power from the switch to the IH1 connector behind the glove box (midway to NSS).

Needless to say, ALL the 'factory' alarm wiring is gone and starter engages every time.

you wouldnt have a picture of the relay in the left footwell would you, i know there are a few relays in there!

IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
This was the unmarked relay, 4 wires to it. The ignition wires are the black/white wires.

View attachment 1209155 View attachment 1209156 This was the unmarked relay, 4 wires to it. The ignition wires are the black/white wires.

jesus that thing is toast! im going to have to go take a look at my alarm system, i originally thought that might be the problem but there are so many of these issues on mud right now with different solutions, so im just looking at it as doing some PM while i trouble shoot it. on a side note i want to keep my keyless entry so im hoping this isnt the issue, no clue where you'd find that relay again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom