FZJ 80 won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

My cruiser has been giving me some starter problems recently. The problems seemed to have come with the cold but occasionally when I go to start my truck nothing happens. No starter click, nothing. The past few times it has started either a few minutes to 30 minutes later. But now my truck has been out of commission for 2 days. I can't seem to figure out what is going wrong. The few threads I have looked at seem to point to the NSS. If anyone could give me some insight or things to check that would be great. It's been hard to get out and do anything with it being so cold here in Colorado.

throw a charger on the terminals.

Try again in even just a couple minutes. Could be the ignition switch contacts, which is what I've been fighting.

Sometimes i have to work the key a few dozen times to get it to start. pain in the butt. Sometimes i don't hear a click until the 5th or 6th turn.

You gotta prove the battery is good before you waste time and money on further troubleshooting. Try one from another vehicle if possible.

Well I got it too start. With Tim saying something about his ignition taking 5 or 6 turns to get the truck to start. So I turned the key 6 times and on the 6th she started up. The ignition is locking up super tight and would let go of the key earlier. So that has me thinking it is an ignition problem. With it starting up I'm pretty dang sire it's not the battery and anyways the battery is fairly new, I believe I replaced it last year also the terminals are spotless. Have any of y out had to replace your ignition before?

This is the same symptoms I had with my faulty Fusible Links. An OEM part that was around $10-15 dollars if I recall correctly.

Grizzlylibs any chance you to might a pix or diagram of the that Fusible Link where is at is as I'm having same problems as DHwreckage and did my battery check rebuild my starter installed a relay in the wiring to the starter an problem persist Now thinking of switching the ignition electrical and at time have even thought of buying a 2.0 or 2.2 starter.
In the meantime what I have done is made a Y connector on the starter cable and put wiring from battery to relay and a pushbutton switch just in case it doesnt want to start while in trails or just anytime.

The fusible link is the three wires coming off your positive battery cable. Two wires go to a black box, one wire goes to the grey plug in the wiring harness. Buy two. Install one (takes 3 minutes) and keep one in your glove box. More than likely they are original and are 18+ years old.

But are they absolutely tight? That has given many people many problems. Remove, clean, reinstall.

they are absolutely tight, happened again yesterday though. i am going to start with replacing the fusible link and see where that gets me.

Fwiw, my issue proved not to be the ignition switch. My fusible links have maybe 5000 miles on them.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Fwiw, my issue proved not to be the ignition switch. My fusible links have maybe 5000 miles on them.

Sent from my SCH-I545

did you ever find what was causing your starting issues? One other thing when your truck started on the 5th or 6th turn was it a hard start or did it just zip up like normal?

On the 5th or 6th turn it is a normal start. When it starts on the 40th turn it's a hard start.

I don't like the look of my battery ground lead so i am going to upgrade it and generally clean things up.

My battery is from costco, about 3 years old.

Sent from my SCH-I545

On the 5th or 6th turn it is a normal start. When it starts on the 40th turn it's a hard start.

I don't like the look of my battery ground lead so i am going to upgrade it and generally clean things up.

My battery is from costco, about 3 years old.

Sent from my SCH-I545

thanks for the info, update this thread if changing your battery ground fixed the issue or not. im going to start with the fusible link and start replacing all the cables until its goes away.

I did almost all these recommendatiosn problem still persited and was having this same problem and decided to do the following a place a push button switch inside the dash ran a relay from the battery to the push button and from the button to the starter cable as at time while mudding when teh vehicle turns off or during starts after camping had to go under the LC to connect a live wire to it . I am worry free since I did that .

Last edited:
thanks for the info, update this thread if changing your battery ground fixed the issue or not. im going to start with the fusible link and start replacing all the cables until its goes away.
Weird thing - i left a float charger on the truck over night sunday night, no issues since.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I had this same issue for awhile--replaced the starter contacts, wired in an extra ignition circuit relay, cleaned cables, replaced cables, tore my hair out, all with no change. A thorough cleaning of the interior of the starter solved ALL of the no start conditions. YMMV

i finally got to replacing my fusible link last saturday, we'll see if this solves my problems. One of the wires was hanging on by a few strands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom