Fuel Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently my 100 series has had an issue. When I am driving under load, like driving up a hill, occasionally it will stutter and lose power. It doesn't totally die though. After a minute it will recover and drive normally again. Any ideas? Fuel filter? Fuel Pump?

Fuel pump died today...only got a little over 418,000 out of it. :rofl:
I was at a stop sign on Big Pine Key and it just stalled and wouldn’t re-start. No codes.

Fortuitously, I was 2 blocks from m&m motors and they had me back on the road in about 2 hours with a Delphi replacement. I didn’t know same day service was a thing anymore.

Anyway, I usually do OEM but didn’t have much of a choice here. Does anyone have experience with a Delphi v oem on the fuel pump?

DENSO is the OEM and they never use Delphi as an OEM part. I think Delphi is for GM and other makes.

If there are no codes then the shuddering could be a fuel issue. Try the filter first and buy OEM only.

i would process of elimination before deciding it's the fuel pump.
plug in diagnostic tool/scanner pull DTCs to isolate culprit.

1. check air filter see if it's clean
2. check MAF for dirt and clean it using carb cleaner
3. check fuel filter
4. check intake manifold
5. check spark plugs
6. check coils
7. finally the fuel pump

Fuel pump died today...only got a little over 418,000 out of it. :rofl:
I was at a stop sign on Big Pine Key and it just stalled and wouldn’t re-start. No codes.

I've been thinking about this as a 'maintenance' item - I only have 297k. Hard to believe these little pumps last 20+ years . . . I assume these are like motorcycle pumps that run constantly (they look identical), and MC pumps need a lot of maintenance (KTM specifically). I keep spares for my bikes.

Denso/Delphi pumps are around $100, I know there is an access panel so will order one (at least to keep in truck). The more I think about it, the more likely it is to fail . . . .:rolleyes:

Keep on eye on codes, could be a coil going bad, MAF sensor, etc. OBD2 reader is a must have on older vehicles, cheaper than a tank of gas . . .

DENSO is the OEM and they never use Delphi as an OEM part. I think Delphi is for GM and other makes.

If there are no codes then the shuddering could be a fuel issue. Try the filter first and buy OEM only.

I would second OEM. The Delphi has a faint audible whistle that the OEM did not have. I doubt I will get 417k out of this one making noise already.

Good info.. .417k is incredible... not just the fpump, but the vehicle in general... Put to good use~

Interestingly, we had a loss of power on hwy speeds recently (and hills)... had a CEL flash but go away.
The code was P0420 for cat inefficiency, which I usually just erase the codes for the last few years. Still passes CA smog fine.
Also, the VSA TRAC/ VSA OFF was on too, and i heard it can pull back the car's power (like a safe mode?).
This was because of Zero calibration for Yaw sensor was off, for some reason. Did the OBD2 jumper procedure, and all the lights are off, not, and power seems to be back to normal. ('04 LX470 267k miles).

I did also pick up a Denso fuel pump from RockAuto just in case. Gonna hold onto it as a spare, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom